Setting up a range at home

Gambler

Feb 20, 2023
Åmot
Hi. As soon as the weather gets warmer ill start do set up a range home. I have 2 options one that that can reach 150m but Will require shooting the 50 and 100m targets at a downward angle.
And a straight 200m range over a field, but at one point in the summer there Will be cows in the forest 100m behind my 200m target, so im abit sceptical to that one.
But what size targets shoud i get to put on 50, 100, 150 and 200m? I know People talk about moa, but I ha e trouble with translating it over to cm ? What is a respectable/reasonable size target to hit at those range? Will be shooting .25cal M3.

Reactions: beerthief
I'd go with the 150 one for safety.. I'm very careful to know that the lead stops and no chance of injury to something..
so I suppose target size is dependent on if you are running open sights or scoped.. I always shoot open sights.. so at 50 to 100 yards my favorite is empty spray cans.. when you get good enough at the range you are shooting to get mostly centered hits.. then shoot at the bottom.. when you are good enough with that, then shoot off the push down nozzles leaving the cans upright.
I got good at 10 meters with pistol, started off shooting empty shotgun shells that I picked up out in the woods off a fence rail.. then empty 22 brass..
it's basically starting big enough to get on target consistently and then working smaller.
the longest range I have ever had was 1/4 mile..I used 22lr on that one years ago..I forgot how many feet or yard that is.. but I started with a 5 gallon metal bucket and went down to a 1 gallon metal bucket.. again I am a firm believer in knowing where the lead stops
mark

Reactions: Brent and Gambler
1 MOA is roughly 1" at 100yards. So if your not worried about getting too technical, ABOUT 3cm at 100meters, 6ish at 200m, etc. I do most all my shooting inside 150. Inside 50, I like to shoot at 1" targets or less, since those are my hunting distances, out past 100, I will shoot 2-3" steel targets. Large enough I can hit them and have fun but small enough you still have to put some effort into it.

Hi. As soon as the weather gets warmer ill start do set up a range home. I have 2 options one that that can reach 150m but Will require shooting the 50 and 100m targets at a downward angle.
And a straight 200m range over a field, but at one point in the summer there Will be cows in the forest 100m behind my 200m target, so im abit sceptical to that one.
But what size targets shoud i get to put on 50, 100, 150 and 200m? I know People talk about moa, but I ha e trouble with translating it over to cm ? What is a respectable/reasonable size target to hit at those range? Will be shooting .25cal M3.
back stop's ! larger at the distance you mentioned .

Something like this would serve your purpose and last a life time. Big one @ 150. Others to suit your needs.

Screenshot_20240206_101221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240206_101540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Gambler
If you're going to buy steel, which is pretty much all I shoot in my backyard 50yd range, check out Shooting Targets 7
Great prices, innovative targets and great customer service. Especially when shooting an airgun, steel targets will be indestructible. You'll literally never need to replace a target again.
Another great idea is to use old circular saw blades. They hold up reasonably well but will ring much better / louder.

I set my home range which is similar. I use a large front end loader bucket for a cast slug trap.. The angles on the bucket are perfect. I covered the front with mining belt to attach targets... This is probably overkill but it works perfect with up to 650 grain slugs from my .510 Texan.. You can make a decent target trap with a lil welding and some metal too.. I love being able to recycle 100 percent of my slugs,,I also don't want to put 100 lbs of lead on.to our property every year...

Reactions: beerthief