FX Set it and forget it

I've got my 22 wildcat BT set up to shoot slugs at power wheel setting 7 or 6 (depending on the slug). I shoot Hades pellets by turning the power wheel down to 1, and 25 gr. FX pellets to power wheel 5.

Thanks gf, I was hoping this would be the case. Haven't tried this yet, slugs still in the Mail. I'll see if I can get both slugs and pellets shooting well at PW7 and then at PW2 or 3.

You should be able to find a happy medium, where you can shoot slugs on PW7, the turn down to shoot pellets. I found it's a compromise on my Maverick. To get the 100% best accuracy I have to tune for the specific ammo of choice. So tune for the slugs, but a lower power wheel setting should be adequate for pellets.

I ran into barrel fouling issues going back and forth between slugs and pellets constantly. I've since settled on shooting only pellets and don't have to clean my barrel all the time now.

Reactions: Bravo1956
I've got my 22 wildcat BT set up to shoot slugs at power wheel setting 7 or 6 (depending on the slug). I shoot Hades pellets by turning the power wheel down to 1, and 25 gr. FX pellets to power wheel 5.
This all just depends how picky you are on extreme spread. I probably get to picky but I know what my Maverick is capable of and it’s hard for me to give. When tuned well mine will give ES of like 5 fps and stay there pretty well on wheel 7 and 6. Once you get to 5 it opens up to 20-25 fps and after 5 I find those settings useless. I guess everyone’s mileage Varys. You can tune these guns in a wide range but there is always a give and take. I personally prefer to retune and always run I the sweet spot of what I’m shooting. Just me though.

Reactions: Bravo1956
You should be able to find a happy medium, where you can shoot slugs on PW7, the turn down to shoot pellets. I found it's a compromise on my Maverick. To get the 100% best accuracy I have to tune for the specific ammo of choice. So tune for the slugs, but a lower power wheel setting should be adequate for pellets.

I ran into barrel fouling issues going back and forth between slugs and pellets constantly. I've since settled on shooting only pellets and don't have to clean my barrel all the time now.

Thanks CarFather. Good points, that sounds like a plan.

This all just depends how picky you are on extreme spread. I probably get to picky but I know what my Maverick is capable of and it’s hard for me to give. When tuned well mine will give ES of like 5 fps and stay there pretty well on wheel 7 and 6. Once you get to 5 it opens up to 20-25 fps and after 5 I find those settings useless. I guess everyone’s mileage Varys. You can tune these guns in a wide range but there is always a give and take. I personally prefer to retune and always run I the sweet spot of what I’m shooting. Just me though.

I hear ya, agree. Myself always looking for the edge and just can't quit leave things alone :confused:, would be dumping first reg and resetting. Then setting 2nd reg. Recharge 232 bar.Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3. IHS settings, bit more, bit more, just a tiny bit less. Test fire, test fire, chrono, chrono. Ok, all good. Then the need to get back to slugs. Wait a second, give me about 15 mins, be right back. :D

What I was thinking about is just get another IHS assembly. 1 set for pellets, 1 for slugs. Especially when swapping from .25 to .30 barrels. 1 set for .30 and .25 would come in handy. Well I guess in a few days when the .25 Javelins and Knockouts arrive, I'll get some chrono work and 50yd testing done. Then back to pellets, see how well the PW can get back to 910 fps for 25.39.

I hear ya, agree. Myself always looking for the edge and just can't quit leave things alone :confused:, would be dumping first reg and resetting. Then setting 2nd reg. Recharge 232 bar.Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3. IHS settings, bit more, bit more, just a tiny bit less. Test fire, test fire, chrono, chrono. Ok, all good. Then the need to get back to slugs. Wait a second, give me about 15 mins, be right back. :D

What I was thinking about is just get another IHS assembly. 1 set for pellets, 1 for slugs. Especially when swapping from .25 to .30 barrels. 1 set for .30 and .25 would come in handy. Well I guess in a few days when the .25 Javelins and Knockouts arrive, I'll get some chrono work and 50yd testing done. Then back to pellets, see how well the PW can get back to 910 fps for 25.39.
Getting an extra internal spring screw and block is actually a great idea. Never thought of that. I pretty much just run 25.39 jsb and hades through my Maverick compact so don’t mess with it much. Wheel 7 will push 25.39 a rock solid 910-915 fps. 6 gives right around 900. 5 is 870-890 give or take. Lower settings get a bit worse.

Reactions: Lastcat
Getting an extra internal spring screw and block is actually a great idea. Never thought of that. I pretty much just run 25.39 jsb and hades through my Maverick compact so don’t mess with it much. Wheel 7 will push 25.39 a rock solid 910-915 fps. 6 gives right around 900. 5 is 870-890 give or take. Lower settings get a bit worse.

About the same with my WC, maybe settings 4 and 5. Where abouts are your regs set at? I'm running 130/100. 968fps at PW7 for the 25.39.

Just tuned my WC .25 to shoot 25.39 really well. Now on to slugs.

Do you set your airfun to shoot pellets, then change settings to shoot slugs?
I was to go that route a few times now, but when i get them shooting pellets at 100 to my liking, I just don't want to mess up a good thing. The case with my most recent Ghost .30 is the same. I'll just a V3 for slugs & call it good.
Joe

I was hung up on ES and SD, but they don't really correlate that strongly to on target accuracy, especially with pellets at 30 yards or less.

Glad to hear others speak about the ES opening up on lower power wheel settings. I was going crazy trying to tune my Maverick last year to shoot both 34gr heavies and lighter 26.6gr Atomics. No matter what I tried I couldn't get a "low" extreme spread when turning the power wheel down to 4 or 5 for the lighter Atomic pellets. I thought I was doing something wrong and finally just gave up and accepted it. I've always seen higher ES numbers on the lower power wheel settings.

I have a 600mm .25 caliber Maverick and shoot the 34gr FX pellets at 910fps on PW7, and the 26.6gr Atomic pellets run 915fps on PW5. Regs are 160/125. My gun has always shot the 34gr heavies the best, standard superior liner. I do a lot of pesting with it and shoot both pellets depending on the critter. Squirrels, birds, and other small stuff get the Atomics. I switch to the 34gr and full power for groundhogs and trash pandas.

I do the same with my WC in 22cal. Works really well if you spend some time tuning to optimize both ammos. :giggle: (y)

On my impact.22 I've set it up to shoot my noe cast 30 grain Bob's boat tail and that is where it will stay set. I have a nova liberty for shooting pellets and I have it set where it works best and stays set there. I use to change the tune of my liberty all the time and found when I needed it the zero was

Yep, thinking the same. WC set for pellets and M3 (if I had one) set for slugs. It all started with a simple .177 break barrel 6 years ago, where is my bag of $$$$$ ? :D It's all fun though. I like the tuning aspect. Once I started fine tuining for 25.39 .25 then back to 50.15 .30, it seemed as I wrecked the fine tuning for the 25.39. Think I'll Mill/Lathe a few IHS, at least remove one step from changeovers. Engineers and Mechanics need apply.

Set it and forget it.
Don't shoot slugs in my "pellet" guns. Save the slugs for real "slug" shooters...firearms.

Mike
A few days ago I bumped up my Mav-VP to.25 #2 to 135bar, 140 requires a HSA adjustment and nope not going there again, using hybrids, wouldn't group for diddly at 950fps, reset the #2 to 120 bar and continued nailing it with my 33.95's.