• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Set a new world record today 306 … and shattered that record again 451 and AGAIN ... 540!

Well we’ve made a significant reduction of the pigeon population at our dairy farm permission. My hunting buddy and I braved the cold wind and rain today and it yielded 55 birds which brings our 2023 total to 2594.

70481626057__B3788646-053E-4703-AD12-91CA63B4522B.jpeg
IMG_6746.jpeg
IMG_0661.png

It is progress but we are questioning if we are eliminating too many of those winged rats and shooting ourselves out of a permission?
That is precisely what I managed to do at a couple of places that I shoot at. The farmers are VERY happy campers - I'm bored. ( lol - their places are quiet now ) The farmers have told me point blank when I asked them if it was possible that maybe I'd done *to* good of a job thinning out the pigeons? They respond with a chesire grin " . . . ohh - you just keep coming around - your doing just fine. " :)

Thanks for the sage advise @jdanvers
We shouldn't be worried about it. I think we were spoiled be the huge number of birds when we returned after 2 years. If you go back and look at our hunt numbers prior to returning, we were consistently averaging 50-70 birds per hunt. It's a dairy with an unlimited food source - there will always be birds. I'm curious to see what the situation is like once the weather warms up.

I was noticing the same thing. Must have something to do with echo in the barns. Shorty is practically silent in person also, but in the video it seems louder.
There is a big difference between what you hear behind the rifle and what echos back from the rafters. Silencers DON'T do well dead down range. Makes sense actually there is a hole all the way from the front of the moderator to the muzzle of the rifle That's where any sound not absorbed inside the moderator goes. 😜

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Hi Guys, if the old steel roof was still there we could have shot >1,000 in the same time frame. We've never seen so many birds in there before.

We are both using Hades. Its odd and I think that there may be a twist rate difference in this Taipan's LW barrel compared to a Dream Pup I used to use. The Dream Pup was tuned to 765 and I would rarely see pass through with Hades. Now shooting this gun, tuned to 767, I can see spray marks on the beams behind the pigeons which I've shot from 30-50Y. I wonder if the Hades are spinning faster RPMs and the pellet's segmented nose cut through the flesh easier. You can also hear the pellet pass through hitting the steel beams behind the pigeons after they drop. Birds shot beyond 50Y have that typical pop sound when the pellet hits the bird and there are no visible exit holes.

My buddy uses a P-rod and it's tuned in the low 600's and I am using a used but (new to me) Taipan Vet Shorty tuned to 767. Both of ours will blow through steel or fiberglass roofs. He takes most of the shots inside 30Y and I take most of the shots beyond. This was my first blood with "Shorty" and I am very impressed with its accuracy! I dropped one yesterday on the 10th beam! My scope dope chart is taped to the side of my stock and is pictured below.

View attachment 322468
Having your scope dope taped to the side of the rifle is a good idea. Do you also carry a range finder? Accuracy under these conditions would be paramount.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
We lasered the roof truss distances and converted each truss to hold over distances when we made our dope sheets. That way we don’t need to carry a rangefinder. Since the birds roost on the trusses it’s easy to count how many trusses they are from us and get the hold overs quickly. For example if they are 6 trusses away then we look at the hold over dope for 6 trusses and take the shot. We ranged out to 10 trusses and that pretty much is the furthest we can shoot and still be accurate shooting off of Primos Trigger Stick tripods.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
We lasered the roof truss distances and converted each truss to hold over distances when we made our dope sheets. That way we don’t need to carry a rangefinder. Since the birds roost on the trusses it’s easy to count how many trusses they are from us and get the hold overs quickly. For example if they are 6 trusses away then we look at the hold over dope for 6 trusses and take the shot. We ranged out to 10 trusses and that pretty much is the furthest we can shoot and still be accurate shooting off of Primos Trigger Stick tripods.
And speaking of those tripods, I've just started using one, in practice only, how in the HECK do you keep steady, tons of practice and not being an old shaking guy? I've got no issue off of a 'bench rest'.