• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Set a new world record today 306 … and shattered that record again 451 and AGAIN ... 540!

Well … take that with a grain-o-salt. My buddy and I have been hunting a large industrialized dairy farm permission for several years trying to reduce the pigeon population. We’ve shot over 6,000 pigeons there. The owner was so sick of the birds he went to great expense to enclose all of the four 1/4 mile long barns in hopes to get rid of the nasty birds. Initially it worked and we lost that permission for 2 years. Last week my buddy received word that the owner asked us to come back as the pigeons had returned.

We expected there to be only a few pigeons there but once we got inside the first barn there were thousands of them. More than we had ever seen. Previously the barns had steel roofing and we could shoot birds about anywhere but during the enclosure project they replaced all of the steel roofing with fiberglass roofing. So, that really changed our shooting challenges. The barns have steel framework so we could only take aim where the birds were in front of a steel back stop. We didn’t want to get blamed for poking holes in the new $850,000 roofing!

We we’re in the barns by 9:30 am today and within 3 hours we dropped 306 pigeons between the two of us, which bested our previous record of 190 birds. So, yes, it’s a new world record … (in our small part of the world) … for us ;)

11D88D5B-C88C-426E-9D59-F12EEE446EB9.jpeg
13DA183B-E5E7-4FAF-B0F1-CFCFD79B8410.jpeg

Last edited:
Excellent work!
306 pigeons! That is a crazy number! The more I look at that last picture the more pigeons I see...and they are all backed up by fiberglass. Tough shooting conditions!
What kind of fpe do you use when you might hit fiberglass? I imagine pigeons can't be that tough but I don't know that.
Wow, Impressive! What's your weapon of choice for not poking a hole in that roof? I'd be worried about either a miss or pass through shot.

Hi Guys, if the old steel roof was still there we could have shot >1,000 in the same time frame. We've never seen so many birds in there before.

We are both using Hades. Its odd and I think that there may be a twist rate difference in this Taipan's LW barrel compared to a Dream Pup I used to use. The Dream Pup was tuned to 765 and I would rarely see pass through with Hades. Now shooting this gun, tuned to 767, I can see spray marks on the beams behind the pigeons which I've shot from 30-50Y. I wonder if the Hades are spinning faster RPMs and the pellet's segmented nose cut through the flesh easier. You can also hear the pellet pass through hitting the steel beams behind the pigeons after they drop. Birds shot beyond 50Y have that typical pop sound when the pellet hits the bird and there are no visible exit holes.

My buddy uses a P-rod and it's tuned in the low 600's and I am using a used but (new to me) Taipan Vet Shorty tuned to 767. Both of ours will blow through steel or fiberglass roofs. He takes most of the shots inside 30Y and I take most of the shots beyond. This was my first blood with "Shorty" and I am very impressed with its accuracy! I dropped one yesterday on the 10th beam! My scope dope chart is taped to the side of my stock and is pictured below.

Shorty dope.jpg

Man this brings back a lot of memories.
During my younger years I was invited to go shooting with 3 guys that were 2 years older than me. We when to abandoned reservoir pump station. Steel t&g siding and roof building maybe 30'x40'x16'. As we apporached we could hear the Myna birds squawking. I didn't know what to expect. This was about 10pm so it was pitch dark. So we slid in behind a loose siding panel, made entry and turned on our headlamps.
Every rafter there were birds shoulder to shoulder!!! As soon as we started shooting the tried to get out from a gap in the top of the gable end. We concentrated our shots at the gap within 2 minutes their escape route was blocked by a pile of carcasses. I'd say we were in there for about and hour and a half. I'd never emptied a pellet tin in that short amount of time. When we left we were literally walking on a carpet of birds.
We all had pumpers at the time as break barrels were too expensive for us.

Sadly, the only way we can shoot them is when they are perched on the bottom flange of the beam but they tend to like to perch on the top of the beams, adjacent to the NEW $850,000 fiberglass roof. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh. It takes a lot of walking, stocking and patience to choose the right shot.
Maybe clamp a board to the lower flange with bird seed glued to it so they keep trying. Only problem is you accessing it at that height.

We returned to the dairy farm earlier this week and shattered our previous record of 306 pigeons, which neither of us thought was possible. My hunting buddy re-sealed his P-rod and had that little thing dialed in. He typically takes close shots of 10-30 yards while I take shots 30 yards and out. It’s safer that we team up this way because there is far less risk of punching holes through the fiberglass roofing. It was an awesome day that will forever be seared into our memory banks. We were there for an about 3-1/2 hours and bagged 451 pigeons! Truly an awesome day!

Sorry but I only took one picture of my buddy in action. We we’re both so darn busy whacking birds, re-loading mags and airing up it left little time for the camera.

9929732A-0197-4B59-9893-4BD664298E03.jpeg