• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Seriously Thinking About The EdGun Matador R5M Standard? Questions?

You can make a depinger and it helps. Mine is a long, and the barrel prefers to be clean and it stays accurate. 
1548553737_17916864035c4d0e090c9939.65382131_54D1F476-209B-4A58-A364-35297A7BC9CF.jpeg

16 out of 18 under a dime at 50yards. 

I was on the verge of buying a .25 R5M long.... after doing some research and talking to people, I ended up with a .25 Vulcan 2. The reviews on the R5M were very polarizing, i.e. people were either die hard fans or absolutely not. What I found is many, many people complained about the cocking mechanism. It doesn’t employ a true biathalon style lever utilizing mechanical advantage and the cocking effort is significantly more than that of the Vulcan or Wildcat.

I talked to a couple people who had magazine feeding issues with the R5M, but nothing major. Everyone seemed to praise the simplicity and ease of working on the rifle. The accuracy that I have seen both personally and on the internet was good, but nothing earth shattering. Along with the simplicity, the rifle is very very quiet in its stock form which is awesome. Adding an aftermarket mod isn’t really necessary for most applications. 

I have the .25 long, the metal cheek piece is rather cold in the winter. To make it more comfortable @20F I put a piece of painters tape on it with a piece of duct tape on top of that. Removes nice and clean. The R5M does have a bit more ping than others, distracting I don't know. I appreciate how the R5M is designed and put together more than I dislike the noise.

My accuracy isn’t the best to judge by....I’m using an old wire table with a crappy front rest(homemade). The cocking isn’t the easiest and the trigger isn’t the best, but honestly neither are bad once the break in. My 55+ yr old mother can cock and shoot my edgun but I’m also only pushing 34grn mk2 at 840fps. The more you turn the hammer up the harder it is to shoot. My next gun will be for my wife.

At first I had mixed feelings about the R5M, but now(1000+ rnds later) it is easily my favorite airgun that I have ever owned. I have never had much luck finding that “perfect” gun and don’t expect the R5M to be perfect because it is certainly not. Main concerns were the trigger and cocking effort and FX has definitely got them beat in that department. Trigger is predictable and a little on the heavy side but still very good. Cocking effort is heavy ,but after 600 rounds it has definitely felt much smoother and I don’t notice the weight anymore. You don’t want want to cock the bolt slowly but rather pull back in a quick single motion and in my opinion I can rack a new pellet faster than any of my other FX rifles I have owned. Now aside from trigger and cocking effort, where the R5M shines is build quality. When I hold/handle the R5M I feel like I am carrying my AR15 where I have no worries at all about the durability and that is one of the important features I have been searching for in an airgun.

Cheek weld is ok and it can get cold when you are hunting in cooler temperatures. The hammer and valve is closer to your ear so it will seem louder, but not loud enough that hearing protection is required. 

I really like my R5M Long .22. My trigger adjusted very nicely just as good as my Taipans. I couldn't ask for a better trigger honestly. Yes it is cold but I usually have a jacket on or sweatshirt when cold so I move the hood over some. There is a ping which isn't bad honestly IMO. Some people hate pings like on Mrods and such but they never bothered me and it doesn't bother me either on the Edgun. It's becoming my top favorite of guns I've owned. Super easy to clean and barrel doesn't lead up much after 150 pellets and about 50 slugs 3 patches with Ballistol and it was clean.

My R5M Standard is my go to gun when I really need to hit the target. It is absolutely accurate. If I could compare it to another gun in terms of accuracy, it would be a R3 long I use to own. Both are in .25 cal and I shoot 25 grain jsbs. Recently, the non edgun brand gun I could compare it would be an FX impact .25. I liked the impact but it was a pain keeping it stable. I have to adjust one thing or another it seemed every time I would begin a shooting session. When it is dialed in, it was as accurate as any other gun I shot. I sold it because of the hassle of setting her up. I enjoy picking up a gun and hitting the bullseye on the first couple of shots. The R5M does that for me. If my memory serves me right, guns I had that were just as reliable were a theoben rapid.22., .22 cricket bull pup and an fx royale .22.

If it was not for the ping, I would consider the R5M the perfect gun out the box I have owned. I think the ping is louder than the shot report. Maybe that might be a good thing shooting in a backyard because the neighbors would never associate the ping with shooting. I don’t know?

That being said, my next purchase will be an FX Dreamline .22 in a laminate sporter stock. 

Here is a pic of my gun 

1548603912_1545091305c4dd208a7fc79.29109554_5E812E71-C64B-48F7-A6E8-1744DE7F401F.jpeg

The factory edgun reg is pretty decent my extreme spread over 40 shots is usually around 10 with a standard deviation of around 4fps. But I’ve heard the Huma is quieter since it is set at 120bar with a larger plenum. I’m definitely keeping my edgun, it’s just too simple and too reliable. My largest complains breaking it in, after about 700rounds it has gotten much better. 

I believe if someone can prove that a HUMA regulator works better than the current Edgun regulator Ed would give him or her big kuddos and a box of wodka ! Ed has a nice video on youtube re his regulators and that is rather convincing ! huma is a nice product for sure but Ed would use them if he believed they would do things substantially better than his own. About breaking in an EDGUN in general my impression and feeling is that this is more needed that some more “ flimsy built” competitors. I needed around 5-700 shots and a good barrel cleaning before the Edgun behaved as I expected it to. But now it is as smooth and accurate as you can deam of and it stays like that .... could be subjectiv but could also be inherent to the brands products. To me it makes the EDGUN even more a legendariy shooter.