• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sent Two Souls To Their Maker This Morning

Looking out the kitchen window pouring my first cup of coffee, I saw a gopher in the forbidden zone. I sprang into action and grabbed my trusty "Gopher Gun" and snuck out on the porch. Easy 10 yard shot and the offender was awarded a pellet to the back of the head.

Re-heated my coffee and was back to scanning about for any more threats to the flower bed but, another perpetrator is detected, and a repeat elimination takes place. An 8 yard shot and more blood is spilled.

My coffee is cold now.... I am craving caffeine to bring me back from the brink. I manage to make my way back to the pot and pour another cup, a couple sips and I feel life flowing into me. Wow, sort of dramatic but accurate. 

100_4828.1620411226.JPG

Good luck with your pesting, stay healthy and safe

Arrowhead1951

Mr. MOnte and Mr. Blackpaw,

I am truly dependent on the Coffee and feel quite ill if I do not get my fix. I hope you are never deprived of the morning elixir and experience what happens without it.

I am sure my shooting skill (real or imagined) is dependent to some degree on my caffeine level.

Arrowhead1951 

I’m afraid your priorities are a little bit out of line, letting the first morning cup cool off whilst pursuing a pest is definitely pushing the envelope. But the important thing is you got the pests! Both of them, and even though you were unable to revive the first cup, you quickly recovered the day by pouring a fresh cup. If I’m right they are pocket gophers and don’t stay visible for long, so the hunting was actually spectacular in that you got them both! I would love to see a video of the whole thing from the first second you spotted the gopher lol!

The second thing on my morning agenda is making a pot of good coffee. While I am waiting for it to perk, I do a scan for fresh gopher mounds. I can then sit on the porch and then enjoy the hot coffee. My fruit trees and flower beds suffer tremendously from the constant onslaught these pests wreak. I set traps and only have limited success capturing the young dumb ones. The .22 Gamo Urban (my first pellet rifle) has proven to be more effective than any other counter measure.

It has become an obsession for me to eliminate as many as possible, they have cost me time, money and lost fruit. In my old age I have become more stubborn and refuse to let them take over. I have a practice shooting range, targets, several new rifles, a tall tripod for standing shots and a short one for when I am sitting and playing cat and mouse with them. So as you can tell I am an old guy with plenty of time on his hands, I have made this into a hobby as well. The dead critters get placed on several tree stumps for the nightly visitors to eat. I have a trail cam that has filmed a few surprise visitors eating the treats I leave for them. I am techno-impaired and posting videos is beyond my capability, probably a good thing as I have hundreds. I live in a very rural area, no close by neighbors and lots logs and firewood stacks for ground squirrels and roof rats for me to hunt.

Reading all of your posts has helped me learn a lot of great techniques to improve my pesting skills. Also helped me spend my mad money on new stuff and hopefully keep all the awesome forum vendors in business.

Arrowhead1951