• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sensitive Topic

John you'll do fine with that 30 ft lb 22. There's really no point in debating with this audience about the ethics of removing feral cats. You could spend a week explaining to some of these people that the fish and game department will be happy to tell them and Karen that feral cats are a rabies sink. And that means that even if they got rid of every other rabid animal in the environment rabies would find its way back into the animal population. As far as the reputations of air gunners are concerned you have nothing to worry about as long as you're obeying the law and you make a clean shot the rest of it is just so much noise.

Never mind trying to explain to them what happens to that 10-year-old girl who decides to pick up that rabbid feral Kitty that's acting friendly because it wasn't feral when Karen was feeding it behind the 7-Eleven the other day. Never mind that Karen is too damn lazy to take that stray cat and make sure it gets the medical attention that it needs or be responsible for it. That little girl was my daughter. Fortunately the rabies series is not nearly what it was when my father had to go through it.

Do what needs to be done.

Where I live I would just chase them off with a paintball gun and in due time the coyotes get a hold of them. 

When I was a newbie out in the country years ago, I saw a lot of wild cats on the loose around my neighborhood which was made up of 5 and 10 acre parcels. I remember standing on a newly poured slab for the garage I was soon to build. I was out walking on the slab at around midnight, reflecting on all the hard work and planning it took to get to that point.

I heard some coyotes doing their dance around the fire chants, off in the not so far distance. Never heard coyotes yipping like that till then. All of a sudden I heard a cat scream, then everything went dead quiet. Sent the heebee jeebees up my spine. Just nature taking its own course. Circle of life.

today, I hardly ever see any feral cats around anymore.

What I am about to write will be strictly referring to feral & free ranging cats in the wild. I am not referring to neighborhood cats that are allowed to roam free (free ranging). There is no question that free ranging cats are a big nuisance to people throughout the neighborhood. There is little legal recourse for neighborhood free ranging cat problems other than calling animal control. This is not an option in a lots of small towns that don't have an animal control department &/or laws/ordinances governing said issue. In that case animal control officers (if any) & law enforcement can do nothing. Even if the cat(s) is/are impounded the owner will usually bail them out. Also anyone shooting said cat(s) can be prosecuted. Just saying. From my observations, even with laws/ordinances governing said free ranging cats they are loosely enforced or not enforced at all. It is frustrating.

With that said the data from University studies of feral &/or free ranging cats in the wild conclusively shows the utter destructiveness these cats have on small wildlife. I won't expound on these studies but will just leave it at that. With a lifetime of being in the woods, I have personally observed many cats in the wild. Because of the destructiveness of these cats, I would support their elimination in the wild but the laws allowing this vary throughout the states & indeed the world.

There are plenty of people on both sides of the issue. LOL some even support spay-neuter and release to continue the problem. I believe that it is inevitable that more legislation will be passed allowing the hunting of feral & free ranging cats in the wild. More local legislation will be passed & actually enforced! It is already being done in some states. Check your state's laws. Refer to the following article for additional information.

Feral & Free Ranging Cats 

You might want to consider a live trap and take them for a drive to someplace private. A little extra work but might save you some grief.

A new subdivision was built near us and the cat population grew tremendously. As it turns out our coyote population grew as well. The problem took care of itself lol. Now the neighbor has problems keeping barn cats. The fat, lazy, juicy ones are gone.

You might want to consider a live trap and take them for a drive to someplace private. A little extra work but might save you some grief.

A new subdivision was built near us and the cat population grew tremendously. As it turns out our coyote population grew as well. The problem took care of itself lol. Now the neighbor has problems keeping barn cats. The fat, lazy, juicy ones are gone.

LOL yotes are good for something after all.

I don't have feral cats, but my neighbor brought home 2 kittens right before Christmas. They started messing in their house, so now they are outdoor cats. Since they are technically pets, they are off limits (personal opinion), but that didn't stop me from giving them a quick lesson on boundaries! I set up a couple pint sized soda bottles, half full of water with blast caps, then filled to about 100 psi with air. I placed them where the cats would crouch as they stalked my feeder and after a loud boom and a bath, they have not been back! No animals harmed, well, not physically, emotional damage may be a matter of opinion!

Pets are property. Depriving another of their property, by killing it, can potentially result in criminal charges and/or civil repercussions: this means you pay damages to the person whom you deprived.

There are similar laws in other states. Pay particular attention to, “other domestic animal.” As vague as this term is it essentially means any animal someone has chosen to tame,…

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-959.02

I tip,just ask about raccoons or possums,very few people have them as pets.Feral cats are a big problem,as pests and topic.

When I had my dogs I had No pest problems...when they passed on I got plenty of pest problems,not cats,but possums...I trap them and let them go far away from my place.... 

Another tip,get the 2 door trap...that way you are on the other side of trapped animal,raccoons and such are not happy campers in a trap....

Never use poison...

I do have a couple of neighborhood cats that stop by and I really like them...

Take 3 or 4 live traps. Place in your yard.

Wire the doors open where trap can't go off. Keep fresh unlimited food in all of them for 2 or 3 weeks. Then one night when you have the time. Cut wires and arm all traps, check them all every hour. If you make a catch right then empty trap rebait and set. Do that all night. You will catch a bunch at first but it will get slower as night wears on. Most will be ferals but you will probably see a few pets too. Dealing with a cat in a live trap won't be fun and you will soon see emptying traps of cats to haul to a shelter not going to happen. Your p gun or a barrel with enough water to cover trap will be the only reasonable solution. Just let the pets go. Repeat the entire process if needed. If you will do this your cat troubles will go away with no chance of you getting in to any trouble or hurting any pets. If you can't bring yourself to killing any take trap with cat in it into a garage or storage shed etc and place a different trap back. Haul all cats in traps to shelter just never leave a cat in a trap where others can see it.

Yes that seems to be the wise choice if possible. Cats are incredibly smart creatures. They will avoid traps most of the time. However if they see other dumb cats going in and getting food night after night thier stomachs may ove ride thier better judgment. However this doesn't exactly answer the question to your problem. It's not that you hate the cats being around its that you feel bad 2atching them suffer right? Dumping them off somewhere else doesn't help the cat. In fact dumping it away from thier known territory would almost guarantee a painful slow death. They won't know where food water etc is and they will still be sick and in pain. It would however be a solution to the problem of it wandering into a yard after a bad shot. Maybe you can find a shelter that will euthanize them. God bless this is my last post on this topic. Again sorry your dealing with this.