Sensitive Topic

We have lots of feral cats around my neighborhood. I myself am a pet owner and love my animals. I got into air gunning because of ground squirrel issues when I moved into my new house(21 years ago now) and have since done in thousands of them over the years. Lately, their have been old, sick, wild tomcats that come to my backyard. I trap them and have them neutered (or euthanized if they are sick and beyond treatment) when possible. However, many of these cats are wiley as hell about traps and are very difficult to catch. I hate to see animals suffer. If I cannot catch a cat and have it peacefully euthanized, would my airgun be sufficient to put a full grown feral tom cat down? I have a 22 cal pcp rated at 30 foot pounds of energy. It would break my heart to wound an animal. So, my question is two fold- if I were to use my air gun to put a wild cat down, would 30fte be enough gun to do the job efficiently and painlessly? I know when it comes to hunting that shot placement is way more important than power- so what is the best part of the animal to aim at in order to kindly dispatch a suffering cat? Have any of you ever had to do this? Please, no pics of cats you have killed. It just hits home too deeply for me.

Yeah don't do that I think. I know feral cats are an issue but I feel like the last thing this community needs is for cats being found with pellets in them. I'm sure you are an excellent shot and all but one miss could lead to someone finding a cat with a bad limp and a JSB wedged in its shoulder and assume the worst. It wouldn't shed a great light on us.

You can google foot pound hunting pcp and give a range of foot pound to animal sizes. Raccoon= 25ftlb. I would think green light for your situation, especially head shots. Sounds like a good yt video..jk

Just remember the destruction cats do to other animal populations and property damage. You could be like the cat man of kangaroo he's helping australia. Before you know it you'll be making cat hats just like him. Aim well! But for real find out if it's legal where you are first

14176406-0-image-a-59_1559267651065.1644207691.jpg

You can google foot pound hunting pcp and give a range of foot pound to animal sizes. Raccoon= 25ftlb. I would think green light for your situation, especially head shots. Sounds like a good yt video..jk

Just remember the destruction cats do to other animal populations and property damage. You could be like the cat man of kangaroo he's helping australia. Before you know it you'll be making cat hats just like him. Good luck and aim well!

Except OP isn't in Australia. He's in Cali. One missed shot and some Karen finds a wounded stray cat and she's going to assume some little serial killer is on the loose and possibly pushing harder for heavier airgun restrictions. It's not a great idea.

I disagree. It's plenty powerful and if your really having sick and manged cats running around you are doing them a favor. I save those cats as well and our personal cat was a baby feral cat that we were able to tame. I love cats too but some of the cats around here are just too far gone. I wouldn't be shooting any that look like they are surviving just fine but from what you say I think it's a legitimate cause for culling. Now as to how you should go about doing it. I suggest putting in a bowl of kibble and shooting out a window or purchase a blind. Make sure you have a solid rest and keep the distance no more than 30 yards. 20 would be better 10 would be best. When they are relaxed and eating put your pellet right behind the ear. Between the eyes is OK too. I wouldn't take shots to the heart and lungs because of what was mentioned before. Even a perfect shot could have a cat run 50 yards before expiring. Be sure to take several shots at that particular distance and be sure you are hitting lights out accurately. I routinely kill raccoons with a 22 cal urban with 23fpe using the same shot placement. The animals with instantly start thrashing around. They are not in pain it's the brains sending off scrambled signals. It's pretty disturbing if you have never seen it before. Just a warning for you. If your not prepared for it it could really make you sick. I understand where your heart is at and I think your doing a good thing but understand that it's going to be difficult. Anyway with whatever you choose good luck to you sir. Sorry you have to deal with this. Do you have close neighbors? Perhaps a good moderator would be a good idea as well if you do. 

I disagree. It's plenty powerful and if your really having sick and manged cats running around you are doing them a favor. I save those cats as well and our personal cat was a baby feral cat that we were able to tame. I love cats too but some of the cats around here are just too far gone. I wouldn't be shooting any that look like they are surviving just fine but from what you say I think it's a legitimate cause for culling. Now as to how you should go about doing it. I suggest putting in a bowl of kibble and shooting out a window or purchase a blind. Make sure you have a solid rest and keep the distance no more than 30 yards. 20 would be better 10 would be best. When they are relaxed and eating put your pellet right behind the ear. Between the eyes is OK too. I wouldn't take shots to the heart and lungs because of what was mentioned before. Even a perfect shot could have a cat run 50 yards before expiring. Be sure to take several shots at that particular distance and be sure you are hitting lights out accurately. I routinely kill raccoons with a 22 cal urban with 23fpe using the same shot placement. The animals with instantly start thrashing around. They are not in pain it's the brains sending off scrambled signals. It's pretty disturbing if you have never seen it before. Just a warning for you. If your not prepared for it it could really make you sick. I understand where your heart is at and I think your doing a good thing but understand that it's going to be difficult. Anyway with whatever you choose good luck to you sir. Sorry you have to deal with this. Do you have close neighbors? Perhaps a good moderator would be a good idea as well if you do.

I'm not necessarily saying dont shoot feral cats for the record. I don't know OPs situation or what his town/neighbors are like. We take care of feral cats on farms all the time out my way. On farms, away from "normal" folk who don't understand the issues cats cause. In neighborhoods though, I feel like the best bet is usually to just to just trap them and go from there.

Idk though. Maybe I'm off base here. It wouldn't be the first time that my logic was flawed and I guarantee it wouldn't be the last.

My folks have many feral cats in their rural part of the mountains. When they first retired there, bunnies were plentiful. As years went by, my bounty became smaller and smaller until there were no more. Many factors may have played a role, but my best hunch is that along with raptors, cats took out the population in just over a decade.

The last time I hunted there I decided to switch to another game. I was surprised with some of the results. The ft lbs were about 32 at the point of impact at the skull. Felix needed a quick follow-up. Cats can create a lot of damage in nature. House cats should never be let outside. We tend to be hypocritical when it comes to value of animal life. Popular thought is that Fido and Garfield have more value than the native creatures outside. I have dogs which I treat very well. If life as we experience it changes due to war, famine, or other, I am not opposed to eating pooch to survive. My father was a boy during WW2 in Germany. After the allied raids food was scarce, pets were some of the first to go.

Have you tried other options? Repellents worked for me when I lived in a neighbor hood with a very large cat population and every one seemed to let the cat in door out door. I used the ultra sonic emitters with motion sensor, and good old fox pee worked well when placed around the property. 
airsoft would also worked to scare them away with out hurting them after a few pops they would walk around my yard. 

I dont think your off base sqwirl. Everybody has an opinion and yours has real merit. If you make a mistake it could cause someone to get very upset. I have been living next to two neighbors that would go ballistic if a cat wandered in to thier yard with a pellet in it. I'm sure police would be involved. I only had to cull a cat a couple of times in my life and it really was a difficult decision. I don't really think your wrong either. I just disagree with it if the animals are suffering and it's legal in his area. I hate seeing animals suffer and lean on a quick kill any time possible in those scenarios. One of the times I had to cull a cat it was ran over and clearly dying in absolute agony. I still caught a ton of crap from the neighbors even tho no medical care no matter how extravagant could have saved it. It really is a super touchy subject and could well cause harm to all involved. 

+1

Couldn't have said it better. I grew up in a rural area where people would dump animals, it was a problem that had to be dealt with on a fairly regular basis. It’s a sad deal, but the problem can get out of hand quickly if the cats are in an area where they can cause problems. We always had chickens so feral cats were a big problem. If you’re careful and take good high percentage shots (while the cats relaxed and feeding) you won’t have any issues. Good luck sorting it out no matter which direction you decide to go.

Beau

Wouldn't do it personally. I believe harming domestic cats was added to the federal animal abuse acts that Trump signed into law. 

Out in the middle of a private woods with a feral cat, do what you have to. Wouldn't even consider it in town. A slightly misplaced shot with a runoff and a neighbor finding it and calling the police might end up with you finding a felony charge and labeled as an animal abuser for life. Its not worth it

Wouldn't do it personally. I believe harming domestic cats was added to the federal animal abuse acts that Trump signed into law. 

Out in the middle of a private woods with a feral cat, do what you have to. Wouldn't even consider it in town. A slightly misplaced shot with a runoff and a neighbor finding it and calling the police might end up with you finding a felony charge and labeled as an animal abuser for life. Its not worth it

And you also need to be sure it is a feral cat and not a neighbors cat. I know people that let their cats out and they run around. Although it’s nice to let your pets Have a little freedom and exercise, I personally do not let my cat that I have out for various reasons including this.It pisses me off that people get pets whether it’s a dog or a cat and then they decide they don’t want it and just drop it off somewhere. And that’s how the problem starts. It happens all the time.

I've killed a lot of feral cats years ago with a 30 ft-lb .22. My advice is the best shot placement is right behind the ear. Cats have lightning quick reflexes and can cover a hundred yards in a few seconds. Hart and lung shot a cat can cover a long distance before expiring. A shot between the eye, frontal shot, can ricochet the pellet to the right or the left. 

My friend had a garden pond, with expensive Koi and sturgeon fish in it, and he lost a few to birds but even more to cats,,,, mind you not feral cats but cats that was let out to roam during the day, and having a collar.

These are fish that will easy set you back 100 USD for just 1 fish,,,,,, a million USD if you are a Koi aficionado and want the really nice ones.

You can of course also get very young / small Koi for cheaper, but when a breeder have spent time on the fish, then things add up.

At first he captured the cats went to the owners with it, and told of his problem and not least the price of his fish, the cat owners being bad pet owners and could not care.

He then proceeded to airsoft, with little result.

So the end of it all became that peoples cats disappeared.

Both my friend and i take no pride in such matters, but if people can not deal with things, then we will, and most normal people you can push to where they transform from nice considerate people, to stone cold problem solvers.

There was also the annual issue of the seagulls nesting on the almost flat roof on the factory next door, technically you are not supposed to do anything about that than launch a complaint that will get ignored, but the whole neighborhood all knew why the seagulls suddenly started to die on the roof or crash into peoples gardens to die there, and no one complained cuz the animals was a major nuisance to all.

Right now there is a problem on a small island near the coast, again rats have made it to this protected / off limit bird sanctuary, which is of course a major problem.

So ! as poison can not be used ( well duh ) and weapons can also not be used, local hunters run around on the island now with shovels and bang rats on the head + dogs, and so a 7 man team + X dogs can kill 60 rats in 3 hours,,,,,,, something a guy with a air rifle and the IR or thermal sight can do in 1 hour tops, in the night, dead quiet,,,, if weapons was allowed to be used there.

Hell it could even be done during the nesting season i am sure, but there are no interest in solving problems, only in abiding strange rules and maintain status quo.

The little island had the same problem decades ago and back then it was solved with poison and guns,,,,,,,, but thats not woke today, so the birds will probably have to find another place to nest, which is a problem, not least if you are a on ground nesting bird, then islands like this are kind of a must have.

rats2.1644217116.jpg

rats.1644217122.jpg