Seneca Dragonfly MK2

New Seneca Dragonfly MK 2 .22 cal.

MSP Full Review

I received my Dragonfly MK 2 the first week of June, 2022. I did a preliminary look and posted some info about it previously including some velocity numbers and other info on a forum. I will now give an in-depth look at this New MSP Air rifle including accuracy and velocity.

I had; like some others, been on a waiting list for this unit from PA. This Air Rifle was touted with a new type pump system that was designed to significantly reduce pump up effort and could be safely pumped 15 times! Seneca calls it the “Butterfly High Efficiency Pump System.” The rifle is also a repeater; wood stock with a 7 rd magazine, and supplied with a single shot tray, includes Fiber optic Red front site, adjustable rear sight. Weight 6.5 lbs. OAL 40inches.

The rifle must be cocked first to pump. The pump system is comprised of 3 separate linkages all attached to the forearm; called the (Push bar), (Link) and (Pull bar); a really odd looking system, but it works! The open stroke (pull bar) must be brought to its complete open stroke to complete retraction of piston pump then the (push bar and link) i.e.; (piston pump) takes over as the forearm is closed and charges the valve. (Best I can explain it)

Previously I went thru my normal inspection parameters, checked all screws for tightness oiled all moving metal joints etc. cleaned the barrel using the “Patch worm” system, it was dirty!!! After this I did do a velocity test at 3-6-9-12&15 pumps with the following results -3p/488fps-7.6ft.lbs,---6p/572fps-10.35ft.lbs 9p/625fps.-12.3ft.lbs,--- 12p/691fps.-15.1 ft.lbs and ---15p/699fps.-15.5ft.lbs., using Crosman 14.3 gr. PMHP pellets. This was done with only 20 total shots previously thru the rifle at the time!

I will redo the velocity test and include accuracy testing this time around, using the Crosman 14.3 gr. Pellets and the RWS Match 14.0 gr. Pellets. However this time it will be after having put 150+ pellets thru the rifle. Couple of things at this point; I had read that the trigger pull on these units was around 4-5 lbs. The trigger pull on mine measures 2.5 lbs-3.0 lbs lbs. using my “Lyman Electronic trigger pull gauge” I don’t know if the Seneca folks made some changes on these latest units, but that’s what mine measures. I have checked over 20 times, pumped or not still measures 2.5 lbs.-3.0 lbs. There is some initial take up which is a little sticky but breaks clean, this has improved with use. I will not attempt to make any changes, as the current trigger pull is good enough for me! I will use the magazines during the accuracy/velocity test, one came with the rifle and I ordered 2 more.

On my very initial inspection after receiving this rifle I noticed the wood seemed very dry so I gave the wood a good coat of std. furniture oil , looked much better slightly darker appearance., On the metal parts hinges etc; I lubed with 30 wt. - non detergent motor oil. I Used Silicone for felt wiper on pump. I did find one area that needed to be addressed slightly; the link attached to the compression tube by Allen screws, has a cup area at the rear that cups over the compression tube when in closed position, and it had some sharp edges. I stoned these areas and touched up the tube with cold blue and then lubed with light grease, this stopped the scratching! Was this necessary, not really, but it was easy to eliminate.

I made one addition to the dragonfly; since it came with a threaded barrel, I ordered and installed a Buck Rail ½-20 Suppressor, really nice addition, I think. It is somewhat quieter; however it did add 6” to the OAL, now at 45 ½ inches total.

Well on to the accuracy /velocity testing. The velocity test numbers were virtually the same as the previous test with Crosman PMHP above. I used 3-6-9-12 pumps; I did not go to the 15pump test this time as I found it really not worth while in velocity gains.

Crosman 14.3 gr. ---3p/468 fps- 6.95 ft.lbs.,---6p/596fps.-11.28 ft.lbs.---9p/643 fps.13.1 ft. lbs. ---12p/679 fps. 14.0 ft.lbs.

RWS Match 14.0 gr.---3p/485fps.7.31 ft.lbs.---6p/597fps.11.08 ft.lbs.---9p/656fps.13.3 ft.lbs.---12p/680fps.14.3 ft.lbs.

Next will be the accuracy test, conducted at 20 yds. Personally I have no interest in scoping MSP Rifles, I have always found scopes to be a hindrance in some manner while pumping, others of course may disagree! All testing will be done using existing factory sights. All shots from bench rest.

First up will be the Crosman 14.3 PMHP @ (6Pumps)

5 shots = 1.35” c-c / (9Pumps) 5 shots = .898” c-c

Now the RWS Match14.0gr.

(6 pumps) 5 shots = 1.250” c-c and the shots were dispersed laterally!

Well RWS is certainly not the pellet for this rifle! I did not bother with 9 pumps.

In fact at this point I have selected the Crosman PMHP 14.3 gr. pellet as the pellet for this Rifle; 5 shots under one inch at 20 yds with 9 pumps @ 643 fps -13.1 ft. lbs! The Crosman PMHP pellets are readily available at Wally World and are reasonably priced. Are there more accurate pellets? Maybe, but I am satisfied with the Crosman PMHP.

Final thoughts; the DFM2 appears to be a good solid rifle at least in my limited exposure, the PUMP links when first looked at, seem as though they may be fragile, but I have had no trouble so far, only time will reveal this!! The power and accuracy are good. Regarding the ease of pumping with this system, there is still some degree of difficulty in pump effort in this unit, but it is not what we normally expect with our current known MSP units. The upstroke requires a pretty good effort as well as the initial closing stroke (on other current MSP units there is virtually no effort in the opening sequence!) however when the forearm on this unit is about 3inches are so from closing there is no pressure to complete the stroke.

In fact when one reaches this point, it is not necessary to complete the closing stroke, one can then raise the forearm to start another pump up effort.

What this system does attain is no change in pumping effort (1-15) throughout the pump effort start to finish as opposed to other systems that gradually increase effort with each pump!

Interesting MSP !!!!!!!!!

Regards;

Garey

Dragonfly 001.jpg

Dragonfly02 (2).jpg

Dragonfly03 (2).jpg

Dragonfly04 (2).jpg

Dragonfly05 (2).jpg

Dragonfly06 (2).jpg

Dragonfly07 (2).jpg

New Seneca Dragonfly MK 2 .22 cal.

MSP Full Review

I received my Dragonfly MK 2 the first week of June, 2022. I did a preliminary look and posted some info about it previously including some velocity numbers and other info on a forum. I will now give an in-depth look at this New MSP Air rifle including accuracy and velocity.

I had; like some others, been on a waiting list for this unit from PA. This Air Rifle was touted with a new type pump system that was designed to significantly reduce pump up effort and could be safely pumped 15 times! Seneca calls it the “Butterfly High Efficiency Pump System.” The rifle is also a repeater; wood stock with a 7 rd magazine, and supplied with a single shot tray, includes Fiber optic Red front site, adjustable rear sight. Weight 6.5 lbs. OAL 40inches.

The rifle must be cocked first to pump. The pump system is comprised of 3 separate linkages all attached to the forearm; called the (Push bar), (Link) and (Pull bar); a really odd looking system, but it works! The open stroke (pull bar) must be brought to its complete open stroke to complete retraction of piston pump then the (push bar and link) i.e.; (piston pump) takes over as the forearm is closed and charges the valve. (Best I can explain it)

Previously I went thru my normal inspection parameters, checked all screws for tightness oiled all moving metal joints etc. cleaned the barrel using the “Patch worm” system, it was dirty!!! After this I did do a velocity test at 3-6-9-12&15 pumps with the following results -3p/488fps-7.6ft.lbs,---6p/572fps-10.35ft.lbs 9p/625fps.-12.3ft.lbs,--- 12p/691fps.-15.1 ft.lbs and ---15p/699fps.-15.5ft.lbs., using Crosman 14.3 gr. PMHP pellets. This was done with only 20 total shots previously thru the rifle at the time!

I will redo the velocity test and include accuracy testing this time around, using the Crosman 14.3 gr. Pellets and the RWS Match 14.0 gr. Pellets. However this time it will be after having put 150+ pellets thru the rifle. Couple of things at this point; I had read that the trigger pull on these units was around 4-5 lbs. The trigger pull on mine measures 2.5 lbs-3.0 lbs lbs. using my “Lyman Electronic trigger pull gauge” I don’t know if the Seneca folks made some changes on these latest units, but that’s what mine measures. I have checked over 20 times, pumped or not still measures 2.5 lbs.-3.0 lbs. There is some initial take up which is a little sticky but breaks clean, this has improved with use. I will not attempt to make any changes, as the current trigger pull is good enough for me! I will use the magazines during the accuracy/velocity test, one came with the rifle and I ordered 2 more.

On my very initial inspection after receiving this rifle I noticed the wood seemed very dry so I gave the wood a good coat of std. furniture oil , looked much better slightly darker appearance., On the metal parts hinges etc; I lubed with 30 wt. - non detergent motor oil. I Used Silicone for felt wiper on pump. I did find one area that needed to be addressed slightly; the link attached to the compression tube by Allen screws, has a cup area at the rear that cups over the compression tube when in closed position, and it had some sharp edges. I stoned these areas and touched up the tube with cold blue and then lubed with light grease, this stopped the scratching! Was this necessary, not really, but it was easy to eliminate.

I made one addition to the dragonfly; since it came with a threaded barrel, I ordered and installed a Buck Rail ½-20 Suppressor, really nice addition, I think. It is somewhat quieter; however it did add 6” to the OAL, now at 45 ½ inches total.

Well on to the accuracy /velocity testing. The velocity test numbers were virtually the same as the previous test with Crosman PMHP above. I used 3-6-9-12 pumps; I did not go to the 15pump test this time as I found it really not worth while in velocity gains.

Crosman 14.3 gr. ---3p/468 fps- 6.95 ft.lbs.,---6p/596fps.-11.28 ft.lbs.---9p/643 fps.13.1 ft. lbs. ---12p/679 fps. 14.0 ft.lbs.

RWS Match 14.0 gr.---3p/485fps.7.31 ft.lbs.---6p/597fps.11.08 ft.lbs.---9p/656fps.13.3 ft.lbs.---12p/680fps.14.3 ft.lbs.

Next will be the accuracy test, conducted at 20 yds. Personally I have no interest in scoping MSP Rifles, I have always found scopes to be a hindrance in some manner while pumping, others of course may disagree! All testing will be done using existing factory sights. All shots from bench rest.

First up will be the Crosman 14.3 PMHP @ (6Pumps)

5 shots = 1.35” c-c / (9Pumps) 5 shots = .898” c-c

Now the RWS Match14.0gr.

(6 pumps) 5 shots = 1.250” c-c and the shots were dispersed laterally!

Well RWS is certainly not the pellet for this rifle! I did not bother with 9 pumps.

In fact at this point I have selected the Crosman PMHP 14.3 gr. pellet as the pellet for this Rifle; 5 shots under one inch at 20 yds with 9 pumps @ 643 fps -13.1 ft. lbs! The Crosman PMHP pellets are readily available at Wally World and are reasonably priced. Are there more accurate pellets? Maybe, but I am satisfied with the Crosman PMHP.

Final thoughts; the DFM2 appears to be a good solid rifle at least in my limited exposure, the PUMP links when first looked at, seem as though they may be fragile, but I have had no trouble so far, only time will reveal this!! The power and accuracy are good. Regarding the ease of pumping with this system, there is still some degree of difficulty in pump effort in this unit, but it is not what we normally expect with our current known MSP units. The upstroke requires a pretty good effort as well as the initial closing stroke (on other current MSP units there is virtually no effort in the opening sequence!) however when the forearm on this unit is about 3inches are so from closing there is no pressure to complete the stroke.

In fact when one reaches this point, it is not necessary to complete the closing stroke, one can then raise the forearm to start another pump up effort.

What this system does attain is no change in pumping effort (1-15) throughout the pump effort start to finish as opposed to other systems that gradually increase effort with each pump!

Interesting MSP !!!!!!!!!

Regards;

Garey

View attachment 271598

View attachment 271599

View attachment 271600

View attachment 271601

View attachment 271602

View attachment 271603

View attachment 271604

Reactions: Bolillo
I have one and also found that of the 6 types of pellets I tried crosman premiers 14.3 were the most accurate. wanted to share something I just found out last night, picked it up to shoot and noticed the knurled knobs on the end of the barrel had became very loose, snugged them back up and shot a group that was way off, high and to the left. Have an inexpensive red dot sight on it and thought I must have bumped it or something and had actually started re zeroing it when it dawned on me the only thing different was snugging up the barrel knobs so I loosened them and that significantly changed the POI. I had just barely snugged them, so at least on mine it makes a big difference so I think next time I get it out I'm going to blue loctite them where they are just lightly making contact with the plastic barrel band.

I shot my Dragonfly2 (.22) maybe 100 pellets so far. Open sights got me 1 1/4" groups @20yards with CP Domes(bad eyes). I put a red dot on and got the groups down to an inch, but the next day, I couldn't hit the same targets either! (I too noticed the threaded barrel-end was loose & tightened it-so there might be something going on there.)
I since have mounted a Hatsan scope and can get groups under an inch @ 20yds with my shakey lawn chair/towel rest.
I started at 8 pumps, but was destroying my backstop-I decreased the pumps to 7-6-5-4-no loss in accuracy until I went down to 3 pumps. This was all at 20yds. I now stop at 4 or 5 pumps. I've never even pumped past 8 since im only shooting in my back yard.
The pump was noisy and stiff initially, buy has smoothed & quieted down 50%.
So far, Im really enjoying shooting this rifle. The magazine works great, but is a little quirky to load. I ordered a different style magazine from Canada off Ebay (same as Diana Stormrider).

My only complaint is that the bolt requires quite a bit of effort to pull back.