Sending airgune thru the mail

Recently shipped Synthetic Uragan 2 to Netherlands (Krale) for warranty work. Used USPS via Pirate Ship, returned as it had arrived, (soft case, double box, no scope.) Did increase bubble wrap between boxes to minimize bounce. Bought $10 electronic postal scale (eBay) for weight. USPS regular mail carrier will pick up for free @ residence during daily mail run, arrange thru Pirate Ship. WM

I just shipped an HW 110 to AOA from Virginia. Shipped in the original packing with $1,000 of insurance. I did not pick any special shipping mode. signature required for receipt. $160...
USPS

The clerk tells me they've raised their rates twice this year. Also apparently they've changed the methods by which the gun was allowed to be shipped. Same gun last year was about $80.

Last edited:
I just shipped an HW 110 to AOA from Virginia. Shipped in the original packing with $1,000 of insurance. I did not pick any special shipping mode. signature required for receipt. $160...
USPS

The clerk tells me they've raised their rates twice this year. Same gun last year was about $80.
OUCH ! no wonder prices have gone up .

Reactions: oledawg
Might want to consider removing barrel to decrease length & STRESS in packaging. It'll help reduce shipping costs. It's the odd dimensions & length that mostly make it expensive to ship.
Good idea, but be careful about delicate parts sticking out like the trigger. I shipped a rifle like this and UPS managed to break some unobtanium trigger parts. Insurance? Hah! I made a claim but UPS never responded.

Reactions: cavedweller
I would strongly advise against UPS. I have had too many lost, misdelivered, or damaged packages lately. UPS used to be at the top of my shipping carriers, but they really went down in quality of service about 2-3 years ago, probably around the time when COVID hit us. Actually, now that I think about it, the only lost and damaged packages were shipped via UPS. Once I had a strong argument with UPS and was able to reach out by phone to our regional UPS warehouse manager to complain about the quality of services. I was told that UPS cut their workforce to the absolute minimum, and they are severely understaffed, and they just can't handle the load, therefore lots of shipping problems. On the other hand, USPS really improved their services lately, and I find myself shipping packages via USPS most of the time. USPS gives me the best rates for smaller and lighter packages, especially with flat rate service. FedEx is good overall; overall, I use FedEx for shipping large and expensive items. FedEx has good rates for heavy and large items, and their service is consistently reliable. But back to your question, for an airgun I would suggest FedEx for sure. And get insurance as well, just in case.