Semi-auto PCP airguns?

I personally wouldn't recommend a semi-auto as a first PCP airgun to anyone who asked me. They can be fun, kind of a novelty unless you are pretty much only using it to hunt and really need a quick follow-up shot.

But as compared to a non-semi-auto PCP, their triggers usually aren't great, and accuracy will suffer. And they can be frustrating to keep running smoothly. Until you get up into a Huben K1 or some others in that price range, I haven't heard many great things about semi-autos.

Get some trigger time with a gun you need to cock. Many can still be pretty quick shooting. And then decide if you really want to get into the novelty of a semi-auto.

I personally wouldn't recommend a semi-auto as a first PCP airgun to anyone who asked me. They can be fun, kind of a novelty unless you are pretty much only using it to hunt and really need a quick follow-up shot.

But as compared to a non-semi-auto PCP, their triggers usually aren't great, and accuracy will suffer. And they can be frustrating to keep running smoothly. Until you get up into a Huben K1 or some others in that price range, I haven't heard many great things about semi-autos.

Get some trigger time with a gun you need to cock. Many can still be pretty quick shooting. And then decide if you really want to get into the novelty of a semi-auto.
i think this may be pretty much spot on, depending on your current level of shooting and what else you might shoot.
if you are used to a heavy trigger, you might not have that much issue with something like a leshiy 2, but imho, the trigger is pretty bad for precision shooting. luckily, i have shot a 10lb da/sa trigger for over 30 years, so the somewhat awkward trigger was not a huge issue.
as for needing a semi, i only intend to own one air rifle (lol) so i can't work my way up. (i never sell anything. buy one, cry once).

not trying to convince you to buy one, but 8 shots in a couple seconds is pretty fun, and this was my first time behind the rifle.

Good evening,

I am looking to get my first PCP and I am thinking a semi-auto would be fun. Any suggestions?
Right now I am looking at the Hatsan Invader but people say it has problems
Leshiy 2 is my first and only PCP. Love it. It’s been super reliable for me and is plenty accurate. Coming from the firearm world, shooting semi auto in the back yard definitely feels like I’m getting away with something lol.

2C94E04E-C2BF-466C-8F05-F5DCD58BB18E.jpeg

Here’s my view on a few of them that I own.

Agreed.

Before PCPs my favorite firearms were, and still are single shots.

Since entering the PCP addiction, I have aquired three of them. One AirForce single shot and two side lever repeaters, but the first thing I did with both of them was get single shot loaders.
No, I do not single load my RTI every time I shoot, but I do often.

Never had the desire for a semi auto. I go through enough lead as it is.

There's no point buying a gun you won't shoot. So if you think semi-auto is what it takes to get you to use it, by all means, buy a semi-auto.

For me the airguns are primarily about pesting. Although I haven't **really** needed a semi-auto yet, knowing I have follow-up shots in instant reserve has certainly been psychologically helpful.

I don't know the semi-auto airgun market. For me, the Leshiy 2 was calling out my name. It's my first (and only) PCP, if you don't count the Crosman P1322, which is barely a PCP.

I don't know if this member would sell this one but it sure looks good

Reactions: MOhunter
My 2 cents. Above posts all have solid points. Can’t disagree. I would echo delooper. If a semi would make you happy, make you look for time to go shooting generally fill that aching void in your soul from a deprived childhood or whatever :) then do it!!! They are fun and follow ups are easy etc. they are plenty accurate for what they are (50 yard guns). Airgunners as a rule and especially this group are tuning and accuracy obsessed and semis are not so much designed for this but maybe as a first gun that’s perfect.

In short, go for it. But I’d recommend going pretty far up the quality ladder. There are several semisand full autos on the classified section right now including mine. All would be a worthy first gun if your looking for a fast hunt or just to impress your friends by vaporizing a watermelon. If you want to drive pellet on pellet at 100 yards or have a gun you can tune perfectly then you may want to look at something else. Whatever you choose I hope it makes laugh and smile. But they are right, it’s an addiction

Reactions: 450BM
Here’s my view on a few of them that I own.
Thank you. I think I will set my sights on the Huben K1 once I have more disposable income. That walnut stock is beautiful.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
Jamie, I have converted from firearms to air guns and bought a Hatsan Bullmaster. It did deliver fun, but not the accuracy I was looking for. I quickly learned that there are quite a bit to adjust to get the best accuracy, and the Hatsan had none. I traded it for an FX Impact M3, but that is probably a drastic move. A Wildcat would probably be a closer comparison with a potential of better accuracy.
I would go for something else than Hatsan anyway. Having had the opportunity to compare maybe the low(est?) en with the highest(?) end, the two can´t be compared in any way.
Anyway, make room in the budget for an air tank or a compressor. I got a hand pump, but not being an multi Olympic gold medalist I´m not capable to fill such a large tank in a hurry. You need to pack some extra T-shirts even if you are an athlete.