• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Semi-Auto PCP, .22, Seeking Experience-based 1st Hand Recommendations

Would anyone be willing to share first hand experiences around a semi-automatic magazine fed PCP? I am in the market for one and am seeking the wisdom of other members to steer me in the right direction. I would love to hear any pros or cons in relation to your experiences.

My requirements:
  • Air cylinder, not a bottle
  • Magazine fed, .22
  • Works with CPDs or CPHPs
  • Accurate to ~40 yards
  • FUN!
  • “Three magazines” or greater shot count
  • Price below $3,000 USD
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

I have had a Steyr Pro x Scout model for several years. No problems whatsoever. Out of my 10 or 12 pcp's it is my go to gun. Build quality is great. But it may be at the top of you budget. PM me with any specific questions you may have and I'll try to help you out.
Z62_1458rev.JPG

I have two to offer comparative thoughts on, both in .22 caliber: a Huben K1 and a Western Airguns Sidewinder.

Of the two, I think the Huben has the better build quality, and is quieter even at higher power levels than the Sidewinder, even after upgrading to a better moderator, and has much better parts support (Kelly at KRAZCool provides great service, and all parts can be purchased if you want them - I have the spares I need for my Huben on hand, but can't get anything for the Sidewinder yet, not even a parts diagram). But the Sidewinder does have some great things going for it too: the removable magazines are nice (a great way to show the gun is clear if you take it to a range), a valved swappable bottle (lets you buy and bring an extra on a hunt, rather than a much larger tank), has a second safety switch near the trigger (something I really wish the Huben had), and simpler barrel removal if ever needed to clear a jamb or to clean.

Interestingly, for me I find reloading the Sidewinder mags out the gun to be no real time savings over the fixed mag of the Huben. But being able to have two or three loaded and ready to go is nice in its own way - but in either gun you can shoot faster than you can load, so that bites you either way.

If I could have only one of the two, for my use / needs / preferences, it would be the Huben - but I can see the case for the Sidewinder if you spend a lot of time in the field (using multiple bottles) or at the range (with the removable mag). Bottom line, if you only get one of them you'd love either one - it's only when you live with both that you see the differences.

That said, that Steyr is awesome! I may end up trying one someday . . .

Reactions: LMNOP
.22 caliber Semi Auto Marauder in Walnut stock. Reliable, accurate, fun. Shoots .22 JSB 15.89 at about 835 out of the box. Dime sized groups at 40 yards. Regulated, gets about 55 to 60 shots from a 3,000 psi fill down to 2,000. Will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.

About ready to buy. Last question set - wood versus synthetic; I am inclined to go synthetic versus wood but feel like based on length wood would be better weighted and balanced.

Finally, going to get the DonnyFL adapter off PYMA and put a Ronin on there. Any concerns otherwise?

I am 95% in on the Marauder. The Steyer and SideWinder are epic and amazing and I fully believe in Buy Once Cry Once but after my positive experiences with the Notos I figured I would “slum it” a bit and see what else is out there.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I don't think of the SAM as "slumming it" (I have several Marauders but no SAMs), but it is a completely different animal than the others as an airgun.

It is kind of a "one trick pony" in that the semi-auto mechanism in it is designed to use hammer bounce energy as part of how it functions - this is a neat idea in terms of efficiently making a semi out of a standard mechanism, but the result is a gun that only operates in a narrow power window. If that suits you then that is great.

Also, the Marauder is long and heavy to begin with - fortunately it is also quiet, so that Ronin may not really be needed. But if you put one on it you will have a VERY long rifle - I have an extra Tatsu on my .25 M-Rod and it barely fits in my safe without having to raise the top shelf. If you need quiet, you might want to look into a reflexed moderator for it, like an Airstream, as those end up being shorter - and if quiet matters, then the SAM will be a lot quieter than than a Sidewinder. But I still think the Huben is about perfect, short of spending even more for the Steyr - it just has the non-removable mag, which in practice is not really much of an issue. All that have them love them.

Reactions: Dairyboy and LMNOP
Thanks all, I am going to pick up a SAM. To me, I just kind of mentally filed it off in my head for weight, size, and length as a “M1 Garand”.

I tend to not “golden screwdriver” my PCPs and am more than happy with out of the box performance. This isnt to throw shade on those that do tune but if I go down and open Pandora’s Tuning Box I will end up turning the fun hobby into a job of chasing elusive perfection.