Selfies and Hunting

I remember back in 2016 been in NYC, in the exact place where the twin towers were taking down, a I saw “hordes” of tourist making line and taking pictures everywhere … and that is a pretty common and normal scene as today, do not get me wrong, I was there as a tourist too, but I couldn't take any pictures on myself or my wife there since a heavy sorrow got in my heart .. as I seen happy faces taking pictures everywhere I wonder to myself: I get most are on vacation, but is this a place for happiness and joy? At least not for me, but I do not judge and almost understand them.

Same thing happend to me in hunting, do not get me wrong (again), I am a hunter and I love to hunt...but after hunting for meal for example, I have a mixed feelings deep in my heart/soul, grateful for having meal, sorrow for taking a life for it. But I just can't take happy pictures with me and my prey (as many can, and that is alright), it just do not feel the right thing to do. I can take pictures or videos on the hunting or the death pray for sure.

A few days ago I post my first video of a dove kill and after that, ready for the cooking, and someone told me: I thought you did not like to take pictures of that … I did not want to explain much at the time, I send him a picture of happy faces with their death prays, and I say to him: You got me wrong, I was talking about this types of pictures:

1565967871_17445349705d56c5ff4bc009.76227964_reasons-deer-hunter-lead.jpg

I did not want to argue more since he did not understood quite good and he says there is no difference (and I was not in the mood for explaining, and to tell you the truth was not totally aware why, now I am), and I told him something like this: Man is not a critic to people who does it, actually is a personal feeling / thing and not trying to change anyone's mind, is just me. I get the happiness of gather a prey and all is involved on it. 

Few days later, I saw a video of Donnie Vincent (he gather the essence of hunting for me on video, check his here: https://vimeo.com/105686970 ) here I am, writing about it. Donno, I might be wrong. Maybe is nonsense ... just want it to share this small write up that I made. Thanks for taking the time for reading.

PS: Pictures can say a lot sometimes, and to little in other times 

Reactions: JimNM and Rodeo
(Husband before he takes picture): “Honey, make the deer look into the camera too...” 😂 

I don’t get these type of pictures either. I can understand wanting to take a picture of your first kill but to pose like that AND make the deer smile for the camera? Lol to each their own. 

As for feeling bad about taking life. It is a blessing and a curse to have the conscious intelligence that allows a human being to have remorseful thoughts and feelings about killing an animal. We are the only predators(that I know of) that feel bad about killing. Yet, most of us won’t feel bad when we pluck a living rose just to put it in a container of water to slowly die. Or ripping off a few leaves of cilantro to make your soup. It would be like me slicing off some skin from a live pig to make some pork rinds. Take away the pigs ability to feel pain and it’s no different. Perhaps it’s because the more an living thing has traits similar to ours, the more likely we are to feel bad for that animal. Either way, animals, fruits, vegetables, etc were put here as our fuel sources. 

@keyman62421 sorry did not get that

@legionair I agree !, and jaja don't get me wrong, I hunt for food and I have not second thoughts about it (and never will), still taking an animal down is always sad for me (but @ the same time I am grateful), but I will keep doing it. We as humans (and predators) are the only animals that makes many many things that other animals do not. Our conscience (among other things) is what make us humans. Happy Hunting! ;)

(Husband before he takes picture): “Honey, make the deer look into the camera too...”
1f602.svg

I don’t get these type of pictures either. I can understand wanting to take a picture of your first kill but to pose like that AND make the deer smile for the camera? Lol to each their own. 

As for feeling bad about taking life. It is a blessing and a curse to have the conscious intelligence that allows a human being to have remorseful thoughts and feelings about killing an animal. We are the only predators(that I know of) that feel bad about killing. Yet, most of us won’t feel bad when we pluck a living rose just to put it in a container of water to slowly die. Or ripping off a few leaves of cilantro to make your soup. It would be like me slicing off some skin from a live pig to make some pork rinds. Take away the pigs ability to feel pain and it’s no different. Perhaps it’s because the more an living thing has traits similar to ours, the more likely we are to feel bad for that animal. Either way, animals, fruits, vegetables, etc were put here as our fuel sources. 

Nicely said Legionair, I agree I think we are the only predators to feel empathy for that we kill. That said I feel no guilt as it is as natural for us to take prey as it is for the peregrine falcon or wolf or horses to eat grass. It is part of the circle of life. 

I used to do a lot of hunting, mostly duck and geese... It always creates deep feelings when taking game... I remember a lot of photos were simply taken to have a memory of a great shot, or "first" hunt with someone etc... Anytime game or birds were taken, it was used for food... Yet, every time I took game or birds, there was an associated deep reflection, perhaps a sadness... It's a wonderful thing that we have these feelings and emotions... Even more wonderful we are free to talk about it...

Interesting subject, indeed...

Just my .02

Ken 

@edosan it is indeed a solemn moment right after the thrill of a successful shot. To watch a creature die who feels the pain the same way we would, bleeds out and cries like us, perhaps has a spirit as well(depending on your belief). I sometimes wonder why we continue to so much meat, besides the ethical reasons, it’s the equivalent of putting 85 octane in a lamborghini. Sure your lambo will run a while but soon enough complications will happen. I’m not saying we’re not supposed to eat meat, but it is the fuel that gives us the most complications is all I’m saying

@shoz while we do have the ability and skill to be predators I don’t believe it’s natural to us as it is with a peregrine falcon who is designed from beak to claw to be a killing machine and does not feel any guilt for killing its prey. We are more opportunists than “natural” predators

@shoz Natural in the sense of we don’t compare to natural built predators. Our bite force is weak and our teeth are more similar to herbivorous animals than carnivores. We lack any type of natural weaponry such as claws or super strength. Even the strongest men in the world couldn’t compete with the raw power of a lioness. Our intestinal tract ratio matches that of an herbivore rather than the short tract of carnivores etc...

However, you are entitled to believe you are a natural predator. After all you possess one of the most advanced brains which allows you to outsmart a creature of lesser intelligence and harvest it with a finely crafted machine, again thanks to the power of our brain

@shoz Natural in the sense of we don’t compare to natural built predators. Our bite force is weak and our teeth are more similar to herbivorous animals than carnivores. We lack any type of natural weaponry such as claws or super strength. Even the strongest men in the world couldn’t compete with the raw power of a lioness. Our intestinal tract ratio matches that of an herbivore rather than the short tract of carnivores etc...

However, you are entitled to believe you are a natural predator. After all you possess one of the most advanced brains which allows you to outsmart a creature of lesser intelligence and harvest it with a finely crafted machine, again thanks to the power of our brain

Our advantage is our minds, not our muscles.

1566013161_21051771955d5776e98d9a48.78038456_20161109_110117.jpg

Well, I will smiling in all of my photos. I consider it a blessing from God and I am truly thankful to be able to take these animals. I am thankful to have been given the opportunity and happy to show off my prize. It's because I value the animal that I do this. I have very little opportunity to hunt pheasant and was elated to hunt these in North Dakota with my friends. I was also happy to share the meat with my friends as well ( Green chili stew). 

You may not agree with me but I believe people do this in honor of their game and it's not done to disrespect the animal. Many people do not always have the opportunity to hunt all the time and when they are finally able to take an animal, its a celebration. Due to work, I am not always able to get out and so when I do have a successful hunt, I want to record that success! Yes we are taking a life, and after my son took his first duck we sat down and made sure he knew what he had done and that the animal deserves our admiration and respect!

. I do not approve of killing things for the sake of killing things ( i do pest control). Last season some guy left several ducks and a goose in the weeds. What total disrespect for a life! I also think it is disrespectful seeing guys biting the heads of a duck to "finish them off". 

Tomorrow, I am sending my son off to college by cooking the last of the Sand Hill Crane I shot last fall. Only the second time I got a draw for the bird. Yes, I took pictures and I was smiling in them. We charish not only the beauty of the animal but the wonderful meal that my family have together. I am not ashamed, but feel rather lucky and blessed to be seen with such wonderful creatures that God has bestowed onto us!

Just my take on things,

Doc

Great POV all!

Please! Is not a criticism to those who like making those shots! Is only the reason why I don't do it ... Pretty sure that most (if not all) tourist in WTC do not mean disrespect, for me is just not the right thing to do.

@sniper_chile like I said ... in that video, ( I even add the link) not on Instagram or other media, either and again ... to each their own.