Selecting a scope that holds up?

When selecting a scope for an air rifle, what factors should be considered to ensure it can withstand the reverse recoil of spring break barrel action? I've got a few vortex optics lying around and they have a great warranty, but I'd prefer not to break them and deal with the warranty process if there is a high likelihood they will break.

How can one differentiate between scopes that are specifically designed to handle these types of airguns and those that are not? Are they simply named "airgun scopes"?

Additionally, what steps should be taken to properly mount and zero a scope to withstand airgun shooting? If my rings don't have a set screw, will the scope slowly inch forward on the rails? Is there any way to secure it without a set screw or is it not worth the trouble and I should just grab new rings?

If the springer has been properly tuned, and is producing less than 16 fpe, the Vortex optics will work great. I probably have five or six diamondback series scopes on my springers with never an issue.
I appreciate the time you took to respond. Can't go wrong with the diamondback line. Budget-friendly and crazy durable/accurate.

Well first off I would not mount a wire reticle scope on any piston/spring air gun. Etched reticles only. Also its going to depend on your rifle. Most sub 12fpe rifles will be much easier on a scope. The big springer or the big piston rifles are going to be hard on any scope. There arent really any fully rated springer scopes available anymore. The best you can hope for is a good build quality and a good warranty. To give you an idea, my Crossman 12fpe 177 has had several scopes on it, both budget and higher end. But my 33mm Piston Gamo Mag has broken up a number of scopes, both budget and higher end. When it comes to scoping a springer, there are those of us that have broken scopes, and those that havent...yet.

As far as options available in todays market, I think the SWFA fixed zoom series is going to be your best bet. On the recommendation of a few fellow members, I have one on my Gamo Mag and has been great so far.

Been using cheap scopes ($90- $140) on all my PCP's since 2007. Cheapest was the Walmart sold (Center Point 4x16 @ $69) No failures and they all hold zero. Most expensive are some scopes in the Hawke line which are very good scopes.
On my R9 I have a 4x12 X40 Beeman which has been just great.

IMG_0619.JPG

Reactions: intrepidaf
Well first off I would not mount a wire reticle scope on any piston/spring air gun. Etched reticles only. Also its going to depend on your rifle. Most sub 12fpe rifles will be much easier on a scope. The big springer or the big piston rifles are going to be hard on any scope. There arent really any fully rated springer scopes available anymore. The best you can hope for is a good build quality and a good warranty. To give you an idea, my Crossman 12fpe 177 has had several scopes on it, both budget and higher end. But my 33mm Piston Gamo Mag has broken up a number of scopes, both budget and higher end. When it comes to scoping a springer, there are those of us that have broken scopes, and those that havent...yet.

As far as options available in todays market, I think the SWFA fixed zoom series is going to be your best bet. On the recommendation of a few fellow members, I have one on my Gamo Mag and has been great so far. I think my cometa is around 16 ft/lbs. I really appreciate the heads-up. I'm rolling the dice more than I realized.
I hadn't considered the difference wire/etched. I've never gone very deep in optics research so I'm ignorant in that dept. I can't find which is in my Sonora 4-12x44, but it looks like it could be wire since the reticles extend to the edges.

Been using cheap scopes ($90- $140) on all my PCP's since 2007. Cheapest was the Walmart sold (Center Point 4x16 @ $69) No failures and they all hold zero. Most expensive are some scopes in the Hawke line which are very good scopes.
On my R9 I have a 4x12 X40 Beeman which has been just great.

View attachment 449857
I've heard a lot of people recommend the Hawkes. If I didn't already have a few vortex entry-level optics lying around that's what I was going to go with.