Sekhmet Digital Pressure Gauge

In early June I was approached about doing a review of these digital gauges. I guess you could say I was one of the pre-release testers, or beta testers, or whatever you want to refer to it as. 

I received the production version last week, but have had a beta version on my Taipan Veteran Short since the 19th of June. The beta version installed in the gun started out at less than a full charge (96 or 98%) and has not been recharged since. I've put probably two tins of pellets through the gun in the past few months, even shooting it at a field target match this past weekend. The gun was shot through the course 3 times (twice by my son and once by me). In short, the gun has been shot quite a bit.

Guess what the percentage of that initial battery charge is left right now?...............................................66%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I start out with that as an intro because my initial reservations about a digital gauge were that I liked the idea, but thought that the dang thing is going to die at some point, and it'll likely be at an inopportune time. So, my biggest concern was that the batteries would need replaced or recharged often and just be a bigger pain than any gain in convenience that it offered. After a couple months, I can emphatically state, with a resounding NO, that that is not a problem with these Sekhmet gauges. 

So, here is how they're shipped. The gauge is nested in nice thick padding.

1598238003_4651061165f432d3316bfa4.76905924.jpg

With the other side offering a pocket for the recharging cord and a little compartment with some single-use lens cleaning packets. (Didn't count them but I'm guessing there's at least 5 in there, maybe more). 

1598238124_3178395125f432dac741230.17400002.jpg

In the above pics you can also see the included charge cable plastic storage case. It's got a cool little retracting lid that should aid in keeping it dust and lint free until it needs used (which at this point, I'm thinking won't be very often). 

So I decided to charge up the production version that came last week before I install it in a gun. I grabbed a few pics of the screen as it charged. Charging graphics are very similar to most electronics today, slowly filling up as it charges and then showing as full-bars when done. It flashes to "100%" when it is done. I didn't time it, but it seemed like less than an hour for it to go from 54% (where it was when I received it) to a full 100%. 

1598238367_13191134755f432e9f212967.95269099.jpg
1598238367_12118450105f432e9f473163.00846474.jpg

As for HOW it charges, it can be left in the gun for charging. I circled the two charging pins on the cord and on their female counterparts on the face of the gauge in red. Those pins need to mate up for it to charge.

1598238623_10723368245f432f9f4b7364.77604592.jpg

My best guess is that the extra female connection points are for factory programming. They are unused by the charger. 

A few months ago, when I was inspecting how this works, I was initially afraid those pins were going to scratch the living daylights out of the face of the gauge. I quickly realized that the pins retract when even the slightest pressure is applied. That seems to keep the pins from scratching the faceplate as they find their way to the females. There is also a rather powerful magnetic assist to hold the head of the charging cable in place. 

I also pointed out the three buttons on the face of the screen in the above picture (green arrows). Those buttons don't have haptic feedback or depress, but are like touchscreen "buttons" on a modern cell phone. 

These gauges have some really cool features like shot count, shots remaining, and bar used per shot. For those of us that really geek out over the science of airguns, calculating efficiencies and comparing tunes, these features should prove quite interesting. 

The website has further information and a short YouTube video showing the gauge in action. 

http://www.sekhmet-us.com/digital-pressure-gauge.html

Here are some pics of the beta version from a few months ago, installed in my Shorty.

1598239355_8284010365f43327bb55e58.55411483.jpg
1598239355_598573725f43327bec66f4.92241437.jpg
1598239356_197342415f43327c1328b5.00477710.jpg

The display is flippable, by 180 degrees. I flipped mine to orient it correctly to not be upside down when loooked at it from a normal shooting position. 

The install on the Veteran was extremely straight-forward. Remove the set screw holding the rotating fill port hole cover and slide the cover off, remove old gauge, steal the oring from it for the new gauge, and gently tighten down the electronic guage, then replace the fill port cover. Haven't had any leaks or issues. I actually did this out in the woods it was so easy. 

As for aesthetics, it looks like the gauge was made for the gun, perfect fit and the black face plate matches the coloring of the anodized portions of the Veteran perfectly, down to the gloss level. Just a good looking combo. 

When the gun is being filled the gauge acts just like the electronic gauge on a Red Wolf, even down to the fact that it slowly ticks down a few bar as the fresh fill cools off, just like a RW electronic screen. 

Pretty sweet little addition to a gun. I was sold in the first few weeks when I saw how long that battery can go between charges. Even the beta version of the gauge gives so much more info, and accurately, than the analog gauge that it just isn't even a comparison. It's like going from a wind-up alarm clock to a smartphone. 

I'll report back with continued thoughts, so, more to come. 

Any weather testing? How does it do after 6 hours in the wet/rain?

....... The web site says “waterproof 30 minutes under half meter depth water”.

Sorry John, I'm not Dana and have no plans to leave it out in a rainy snowy night, all night. 

Definitely good data gathered in that manner, but I like my airguns more than that. 

The website shows one partially submerged though, like Mike commented. 

I've had to shoot three days in the rain at a world's event two years ago, and started two day's in wet weather last year. I've shot in torrential downpours and %100 humidity in a state side event and multiple club matches in most weather conditions. I don't baby my equipment. It has to perform in All conditions, and then the next day. Hence my question. 

Hey Frank! So here we are 06APR22...

How's the gauge working out for you?

Do you still feel like it's a good investment?

Thank you!

Good questions. 

The last 14 months has been pretty hectic. Remodeled a house and needed to do a bunch of work on the property it sits on as it was essentially abandoned. I've felt like a farmer actually, putting in irrigation systems and leveling a field and planting it and digging a pond, etc etc etc. That "farming" was on top of the house remodel (which ended up being a total gut) as well as working just under 2800hrs in 2021 at my real job. So, in a fit of just being overwhelmed and needing to SIMPLIFY, I replaced the electronic gauge with the OEM analog gauge sometime last summer. At that point that gauge had been on the gun over a year and it only ever needed charged up every couple of months. I never had any trouble with it or gripes against it, I was just looking for SIMPLE at the time that I went back to analog. 

Fast forward to now......nearly all the biggest projects are done on the new property, employer hired a couple more people so hopefully I won't be working myself to death in the future, and I feel like I'll have more time to get into the minutiae when it comes to airguns. And it's funny you ask this because I saw the Sekhmet sitting on the shelf in my gunroom the other day and thought to myself that I should put that back on a gun and play with it some more. 

The only perhaps negative comment I would have on the gauge I have is that the shot count feature is not 100% accurate. I dunno if that is specific to this one particular specimen, or a product of the gun that it is on, but mine does not keep an exact shot count. It's usually close, but not exact. For example, when we fill a PCP the air gets a bit warm, even on a slow fill. That warmer air usually ticks down a couple bar on a digital gauge. Red Wolf's do this, and so does the Sekhmet. Sometimes that couple bar tick down will register as shots taken. For example, fil the gun to 250 bar, pressure ticks down to 245 bar in the next 5 or 10 minutes. Shot count will say you took 3 or 4 or 5 shots, even though you did not. I feel like I should point out that the shot counter is not 1 shot = 1 bar reduction. The Vet the gauge was on would get about 100 actual shots from 250-100 bar at the power level I had it set for. That's a reduction of 150 bar, but the shot counter was always in the 95-110 shot range by the time I got down to 100 bar. So, close, but not exact.

To answer your questions more directly....in the 14 or so months that it was on the gun I never had any problems with the gauge, and it might go back on a gun in the very near future. As to whether or not it's a good investment....if you're the type that really wants to dig into the details of tuning and reg pressures and shot counts, etc, you will probably get your money's worth out of the Sekhmet. On social media I see a lot of guys with dual regs (like the FX Impact) throwing a Sekhmet on the gun to monitor the second regulator's pressure. Those FX guys are the ones just wallowing in the tuning and tinkering and general revelry of the gadgetry of airguns, so it makes sense that they're enjoying the Sekhmet. 

I appreciate the insight! I would like nothing more that a good regulator final pressure reading on my Leshiy 2.0

I really don't care about the shot timer so that would be a setting that would go unused at least for me. I'm going to pick up the REPR tool from Brian here real soon but

would like to get the gauge in place before that. Reg pressure is my priority and thought perhaps a digital gauge would be best. You've been at this game longer than I have...

For my purpose of adjusting the pressure on my regulator, do you think the Sekhmet is the answer or could I use an analog gauge and achieve the same goal?

Thank you!

I've had the opportunity to shoot quite a few different airguns (great friends that enjoy sharing) but I've not ever handled or shot a Leshiy so can't give any specific advice there. 

A thought that might help though, is that the Sekhmet is much more precise than any analog gauge that I've dealt with. Notice I say "precise" and not necessarily accurate. I have no way to verify accuracy but fps seen in shot strings suggest the Sekhmet is just as accurate as the analog on this particular gun and gauge. Back to precise-the Sekhmet tells you, down to the exact BAR, what pressure it is seeing. It's usually hard to read an analog gauge (even a good one like a Huma) more accurately than to the nearest 5 or 10 bar, depending on graduations. But with a Sekhmet you'll see 147 on the screen, versus a semi-guess of 150ish on the analog.