• This section is NOT for leaving Member feedback. To leave a Member feedback regarding a Classified transaction simply go to the Members profile and click the ADD FEEDBACK button.
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

seems like people are hiding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids were playing hide and seek. My youngest daughter had a great place to hide that the others didn't know about. Well, one time nobody could find her and she fell asleep. After a half hour to an hour the wife and kids are panicking. Next thing the neighborhood is looking for her. Another hour and wife calls the police. About that time she wakes up and comes out of her hiding place and you can imagine what happened after that.😂
Too the point!
Good to know

I frequently look for a location, as it can give context to the discussion, e.g. weather, political climate, cost of living, etc. Also, I used to travel a lot for work, and it's interesting to see if I'm familiar with someone's location.
Shouldn't the context of the conversation be about the item for sale and its price ? I don't recommend that you contact sellers just to chat.
That would be weird.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Shouldn't the context of the conversation be about the item for sale and its price ? I don't recommend that you contact sellers just to chat.
That would be weird.
I too look at the sellers location in the classifieds. My reasoning is lack of interest in paying anyone remotely, if I can’t pick up an item locally I’d rather wait or buy new. Total paranoid behavior for sure but I’d rather not even have an opportunity to be scammed.

I’d also point out though that few folks here add a name to their profile either. And almost no one uses their given name as a user name. So everyone has a certain level of anonymity they are comfortable with. If people don’t want to share city, state, birthday or age, fine that’s their prerogative. Folks that do, great we can wish you happy birthday and discuss the weather in your home town. Either way is really fine.

Reactions: jetpopt and wamf
Silly people. Such "privacy" is a major reason the scammers thrive, and, from a true pro much less just someone at home can figure out where if not who who you are so no privacy.
Happened to look at my "sent" email (or ya I've had the same email for 25 years, and one way or another the same screen name for just as long on all forums around the globe) which I had never done. Seems I do have contact info for over 200 airgun deals not counting other airgun sthuff. And now I just like to deal with people I know either from that list or people who know other airgun folks - also shot FT for 15 years and airgunners know other airgunners.
People certainly do have a right to attempt hiding bt a wonky screen name like ripemoff or booger2hoes, no email, no stat, no nothing, meh.
And as I believe the OP tried to bring up, I/you can not help others without knowing at least where they are. I also don't worry about thieves coming to the house (tho I do not have hundreds of Gold bars & perhaps you do?) as we do have say at least a $20 camera and the means to protect the family.
Keeping some info from the never ending Spammers makes some since but that's about it.

Yes everyone who thinks "they" are keeping track of you, "they" ARE. Have been for years just now with a cell phone "they" know if you've been to lowes or used a CC or ... .
Everyone remember Swenson -aka "they" ? (the old timers will) . Nice of the forum to allow any.everyone but when I see (due to new name... takes a minute) old "mousefart" and several others knew what was coming and steered clear.

Legally have some airgun fun ya'll. Hey for everyone "hiding" a pretty picture (and remember it does not work)
wifi.jpg

John

• Haha
Reactions: Treefrog
Only the paranoid survive…

That said, I think younger people are starting realize how easily information about you is gathered across platforms. For example, there are numerous examples of innocent people being put into a “digital line-up” because a crime was committed and they were within the vicinity of it with their cellphone or because by chance they did a Google search that included some keywords that the police believe are related to the crime (ie. shopping for Rambo knives).

Now imagine this scenario. Either a stupid individual or freak accident results in a person being seriously injured by an air gun. What will the police do? They will send Facebook and Google a warrant/subpoena for information related to airgun topics in a geofenced area near the crime in order to create a suspect list. But they won’t stop there, since airguns are such a niche hobby they may also send a similar request to airgun forums. Asking information on any registered users within a certain location. And bam! You are all of a sudden a potential suspect in an investigation.

Paranoid and small chance of happening? The answer is yes, but the chance is not small enough and the repercussions are scary enough that keeping your personal info private is worth considering.

-Marty

Reactions: Treefrog
Status
Not open for further replies.