• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Seeking FX regulator advice/opinions.

A little while ago I picked up a quite clean first generation .22 Wildcat for a song. As it turns out, I really like the thing and find it more comfortable to shoot than my Impact M3. Because I don’t have a lot of money in it and because I’m a tinkerer at heart, I’ve decided to take a chance turn it into something unique. Part of my plans include converting it into sort of a bottle version, have I’ve acquired the parts to do so and the lathe work has already begun. I’m shortening and internally threading the original air cylinder and have made a double male adapter to mount the BT bottle adapter to it. The bottle adapter has an Amp reg in it and the existing air cylinder of course has the internal stock FX regulator and spacer in the rear of the tube. The existing regulator has always been consistent and the recharge rate is nearly instantaneous. Given that some folks delete a regulators on some guns, I’m wondering if I should bother with utilizing both. I’m debating removing the back regulator and utilizing the front regulator only for the ease of adjustability. Is this even a good idea? My Impact doesn’t seem to recharge nearly as quickly (though plenty fast for a follow-up shot but I’m not sure if that’s a characteristic of the multi regulator setup or of the Amp regulator altogether. Any input on this from the FX knowledgeable?

This is an example of the recharge. I’m sure it’s typical for these regs, but it much faster than my M3.

It depends on the plenum size, M3 has much bigger plenum so after each shot the pressure in the big plenum may not drop by much. With less pressure delta between plenum and bottle then it would be slower plus M3 has 2 deltas to deal with. Standard wildcat’s plenum is much smaller so the pressure would drop to much lower or delta of pressure is much higher after a shot so the recharge will be faster.

Reactions: mubhaur and techna
A little while ago I picked up a quite clean first generation .22 Wildcat for a song. As it turns out, I really like the thing and find it more comfortable to shoot than my Impact M3. Because I don’t have a lot of money in it and because I’m a tinkerer at heart, I’ve decided to take a chance turn it into something unique. Part of my plans include converting it into sort of a bottle version, have I’ve acquired the parts to do so and the lathe work has already begun. I’m shortening and internally threading the original air cylinder and have made a double male adapter to mount the BT bottle adapter to it. The bottle adapter has an Amp reg in it and the existing air cylinder of course has the internal stock FX regulator and spacer in the rear of the tube. The existing regulator has always been consistent and the recharge rate is nearly instantaneous. Given that some folks delete a regulators on some guns, I’m wondering if I should bother with utilizing both. I’m debating removing the back regulator and utilizing the front regulator only for the ease of adjustability. Is this even a good idea? My Impact doesn’t seem to recharge nearly as quickly (though plenty fast for a follow-up shot but I’m not sure if that’s a characteristic of the multi regulator setup or of the Amp regulator altogether. Any input on this from the FX knowledgeable?
might be the plenum slowing it down compared to the W/C

Reactions: mubhaur and techna
might be the plenum slowing it down compared to the W/C

depends on the plenum size, M3 has much bigger plenum so after each shot the pressure in the big plenum may not drop by much. With less pressure delta between plenum and bottle then it would be slower plus M3 has 2 deltas to deal with. Standard wildcat’s plenum is much smaller so the pressure would drop to much lower or delta of pressure is much higher after a shot so the recharge will be faster.
Well that's so obvious I'm wondering why I didn't consider it before.

Reactions: qball and mubhaur