• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Seeking first quality airgun

All of these people are correct. I also have the HW30S .177 and HW50S .22. Both rifles are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot right out of the box. Both shoot around 600 fps. PREVIOUSLY, I had no idea how fun and deadly 600 fps could be. Both of my rifles (along with every one else's) are not pellet picky and are able to consume large quantities of pellets so buy in bulk from Pyramid Air or AoA. Welcome to this fun sport!

When it comes to the peep sight, I would recommend the the Williams with the target knobs. It’s a bit more expensive but very easily adjustable. You can quickly make a few klicks to your known backyard yardages. Also you should drill and tap a stop screw so the diopter stays put. It will slide rearward without a stop screw. The guns receiver is set up for the stop screw. Here is one with and one without the target knobs and one with and without the added stop screw. One says Beeman but both are made by Williams.
EC80B391-6920-40A6-8441-C05E37DBDEC8.1653745428.jpeg
862AB4AA-E0C0-4D32-885B-3774CBA7C735.1653745428.jpeg

Just a note about the Williams with the target knobs that nobody ever seems to mention.....

YOU STILL NEED A SCREWDRIVER TO MAKE AN ELEVATION ADJUSTMENT

The gib lock screw has to be loosened, then the knob clicked to adjust, then the gib screw must be locked down again. 

So that being the case, the target knobs aren't actually any more easily adjusted than the standard model, and pointless IMO.

The 5D series (Air Venturi model above) offers no micrometer click adjustment, and is somewhat fiddly to adjust if you plan on moving it often. But they do work well once set, and are much cheaper. 

squirrel hunt 3.1653747699.jpg

The FP-AG series (PN: 014168) is the same as the "TK" but without the target knobs. It has the micrometer click adjustments but uses a screwdriver to click instead of the knobs and is more streamlined. Here's a very old, well used example on my FWB:

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/fpairgun-ag-014168

IMG_20200824_104118.1653747530.jpg

When it comes to the peep sight, I would recommend the the Williams with the target knobs. It’s a bit more expensive but very easily adjustable. You can quickly make a few klicks to your known backyard yardages. Also you should drill and tap a stop screw so the diopter stays put. It will slide rearward without a stop screw. The guns receiver is set up for the stop screw. Here is one with and one without the target knobs and one with and without the added stop screw. One says Beeman but both are made by Williams.

Awesome info, much appreciated! Thank you I'll have to look around for that one

Just get it on Amazon. You will have to install the stop screw yourself. Very simple to drill and tap. A scope stope behind the diopter works also but it moves the diopter forward, up the receiver more than I like. ( away from the eye) The added stop screw brings the diopter back towards your eye and just in front of the safety catch as to not interfere with its operation.

Just a note about the Williams with the target knobs that nobody ever seems to mention.....

YOU STILL NEED A SCREWDRIVER TO MAKE AN ELEVATION ADJUSTMENT

The gib lock screw has to be loosened, then the knob clicked to adjust, then the gib screw must be locked down again. 

So that being the case, the target knobs aren't actually any more easily adjusted than the standard model, and pointless IMO.

The 5D series (Air Venturi model above) offers no micrometer click adjustment, and is somewhat fiddly to adjust if you plan on moving it often. But they do work well once set, and are much cheaper. 

squirrel hunt 3.1653747699.jpg

The FP-AG series (PN: 014168) is the same as the "TK" but without the target knobs. It has the micrometer click adjustments but uses a screwdriver to click instead of the knobs and is more streamlined. Here's a very old, well used example on my FWB:

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/fpairgun-ag-014168

IMG_20200824_104118.1653747530.jpg

Good point to mention. The elevation set screw can be loctited so it is just snug enough as to hold the aperture from any wobble. Then the target knob functions without a screw driver. This will not work on the basic model because the upper piece could drop out and be lost. The model with the target knobs works like a high end diopter and screws into the base.

I had to re read to catch this and see the stop screw in there. I really like the Beeman sight with the stop screw and the clicks. That is just the ticket.

I have both the R-9 and HW50s and I would take my R-9 every time over the HW50.

Also .22 over .177 for what you are doing.Iron sights are fine,peep sights are even better.

My opinions based on my likes.

I would add that my under levers are more accurate,butt a break barrel is for Me a better hunter.

Keep it English or German,wood over plastic.

I have an HW77 in .22. My profile pic is from the very first time shooting it at 25yds with the open sights. It’s on the heavy side of the springer world, but the thing is like a Cadillac. The stock is nicely finished, but could have a longer length of pull. The bluing is perfect and stays nice with a light coating after use. People have said about some weirauch .22 barrels being inaccurate, but my rifle shoots everything well within 40yds.

it's an HW fanboy site, you can bet that's what will be recommended by most here.

OP did say "heirloom quality" which seriously narrows the field...lol. Diana, Air Arms, HW/Beeman. 

Diana D34 would fit the bill as long as it's the classic version and not the new 34 EMS. Jury is still out on those. I own 2. An older .177 from 2002 and a D34K Premium .20 caliber, but that one I can't recommend since 1: it's .20 caliber which most don't like and pellets are currently insanely hard to find and expensive when you can and 2: only 30 were made and the only way you get one is if one of the 30 owners wants to consider selling theirs. Diana also isn't helping since they've discontinued several models.

Air Arms? Never owned one but they come very highly recommended across all the forums I wander. Pretty expensive price to get one, but if you can afford one, by all means buy one since every owner who talks about theirs says they don't regret it one bit.

That leaves HW/Beeman and all their various models, several of which also easily fit the owners want of an heirloom gun and capable of what he wants it for. In the case of those, I own 4. An HW95 .22, a Beeman R9 .20 and a pair of Beeman R7's in .177 and .20. Not so much a fanboy thing as it is you'll get a quality gun that's well built and will last for years if well taken care of and a good lot of them can be had, including tossing in a better quality scope and a small pile of pellets for what an Air Arms costs...lol.

For the little it's worth, I also happen to own 20 something other rifles from various brands like Mendoza, Norica, Hatsan and Turk built Webleys and even thought all of them would also do what the OP wants a rifle for and have for me, none of those are what I'd consider heirloom quality guns.

I have no doubt HW's are fine rifles and one of these days I may buy one. At this point as it would at best be a parallel move for me. The TX200 was indeed expensive, (plus the lefty penalty) but having worked through the tinkering and learning each other, I'd buy it again. I'm afraid if I had bought a 97 first I would've always wondered about the TX200.

I too have a Diana Classic 34 in .177 and love the rifle. Not bad weight, it's accurate (vortek PG3 full power kit), nice trigger and for the money, IMHO, it's one of the best values in air guns.

All of this and $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee in some places.

I have no doubt HW's are fine rifles and one of these days I may buy one. At this point as it would at best be a parallel move for me. The TX200 was indeed expensive, (plus the lefty penalty) but having worked through the tinkering and learning each other, I'd buy it again. I'm afraid if I had bought a 97 first I would've always wondered about the TX200.

I too have a Diana Classic 34 in .177 and love the rifle. Not bad weight, it's accurate (vortek PG3 full power kit), nice trigger and for the money, IMHO, it's one of the best values in air guns.

All of this and $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee in some places.

Might save someone a lot of money on a barrel full of $99 Walmart specials.