• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Seeking experienced input on Atlas bipod clones vs actual Atlas and/or Accu-tac.

This is a legitimate ask and honestly not some strange form of trolling:

I currently have two Atlas bi-pod knock-off clones. One is very well stamped and functions well. The other, the teeth, were poorly stamped and contained plated burrs. I had to dremel them down. Both lock in place "good enough". The cant feature is non-functional and not a feature I even bother to use because it's such a pain. One had a washer that enabled the cant feature that honestly just resulted in the bipod becoming lose and the wind knocking my rifle over on the table.

Are the *actual* real, costly, Atlas bipod worth the money on a Pulsar and Renegade? Is the Accu-tac which is in the similar price range worth the money?

I'm looking for direct input from folks who have run the Atlas bipod clone and can compare and contrast the spend on the actual Atlas bipod. Similar contrast is appreciated with the Atlas clone and the Accu-tac.

I need 45 deg front and rear as well as 90 deg; I doubt I'll ever use the cant features. Thank you all in advance!

So, I have a fake-las from Amazon, and a genuine Atlas. I had to tune in the fake one, and I still use it. Not terrible quality. But there is a HUGE difference in stability. 

The real Atlas has more rigidity when the legs are extended and it's overall better quality. You definitely get what you pay for. But if you're using it off and on, not really pro level... The fake-las will get the job done. Just expect to loctite some stuff and set tensions. 

Hope that helps!

Helps a ton and exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. What I wanted to avoid was the bias of "Well, it cost more, so it's clearly better!". One of my knock-off's is pretty nice and the other leaves much to be desired. It's sloppy the way it locks up into 45 and 90. The twist screw for tension is worthless on both, you set it close, and then wedge it in by rotating the bipod directly. Otherwise it's a loose and sloppy mess.

What I'm trying to do is convince myself not to order the real one that all of the bipods are like this and just be content with what I have.

What I'm hearing with your experience is that, well, the knock-offs are just garbage. I only shoot benchrest and from a bipod. Both bipods on the Pulsar and Renegade never come off.

I ran an atlas on my impact for about a year then bought the accu-Tac. I like the accu-Tac better and sold the atlas. The wife also runs an accu-Tac on her rifle. I have the smaller accu-Tac on hunting rifle, but the “wide body” on my bench rifle.

I did have an atlas clone before my atlas and there was no comparison. Never had an accu-Tac clone.

Tony P

Hello I have not used the clones but my coworkers and myself have used the Atlas quite a bit(on both course and deployment guns) and have run them very, very hard with only one failure(ripped off a rubber foot which was replaced no questions asked). I doubt you will give your personal equipment the abuse these have gotten but they have held up great so far. Just my experience Eric

@lmnop, I have two UTGs and an Accu Tac BR4 G2. The only thing they have in common is that they’re bipods. Otherwise no comparison. Solidness, ease of deployment, extending or retracting the legs the Accu Tac simply outclasses them. Mine is use every time I use my rifle. Would buy it again. When I first put it on my gun I knew it was a great choice. Worth the money and very easy to put on different guns.

I hate to preface things with "This is not a troll" but I'm being entirely serious:

Yeah I'm struggling with figuring out where the real Atlas bi-pods are versus the stamped clones. I see a lot of authorized resellers purporting to be the real deal and then comments suggesting it's not; mostly on Amazon.

I like the Atlas one and I can't find the country of orgin for the Accu-tac.

I'm mostly worried about ending up with a knock-off and being overpaying. [edit: in the process of payment]

Truth in disclosure: I've had very good luck with AoA for many purchases so I'm leaning towards an Accu-tac because I believe they [edit: AoA] have good supply-chain verification. I'm mostly worried about Atlas, which is the bi-pod I prefer, because I cannot make heads or tails of their [Atlas/Amazon] resellers and who is authentic versus some scammer. I've undulated around this purchase for at least 3+ months and still can't figure it out. Hence this post as I was and do appreciate the direct compare and contrasts especially from the members who are reputable and have a demonstrated history of honesty and transparency.

[Edits; To avoid grammar thread]

@lmnop, box my BR4 G2 came in...

7F55B9BF-3C74-402A-90C5-3E0A7C15D1B2.1639017403.jpeg
E9E3D019-95BC-46D8-9388-7D4517292CD9.1639017404.jpeg

IMO, the Accu-Tac is definitely worth the money. It's a fine piece of US made equipment. And I have the peace of mind knowing that my rifle is not going to roll off the bench and onto the concrete.

I know some folks claim to have had success with the Atlas clones--usually after doing some work on them. I've tried a couple of them and haven't been happy. I ended up sending them back to Amazon. 

I have the same Atlas and Acu-Tac clones from amazon, and today my standpoint is that I am glad that I did not shovel more money on any bi-pod.

I am also shooting my airgun from a bench and only in my gunclub (I have bylaws also the supressors are a BIG NO-NO in Canada).
As longer I was into BR I figure I don't like bi-pods.

For sure those BR front rest - machined nicely and shiny look cool, but I would need an extra dolly to drag things between the car and the bench, so I am trying to stay practical as well.

I started playing with table top style tripods and currently have one medium size heavily modified specifically for my 100 Meters BR shooting lane.

I filled the tripod CF leg tubes with #9 lead shots, replaced to a levelling head, rubber grip pads, and also not using rear sand bags but a monopod.

I don't raise or lower the front of vertical travelling from 5x5 target ring - to - target ring, but I am raising/lowering the rear monopod attached below the but stock.

I got the front is steady now with extra weight, but still finding the rear of the gun is way too light, I need to re-adjust every like 4-5 shots the rear is drifting slowly for a MOA or two. Tinkering how or what could I fabricate to make the rear heavier. (again, I don't like rear bags because I am adjusting the elevation at the rear)

The best way would be just to clamp or strap down the entire gun to the bench ;)

I third the Accu-Tac suggestion. I eyeballed mine for months before purchasing. I also had my eye on an Atlas. I thought the upper tier bipods would never go on sale, but I finally caught a recent sale and I have ZERO regrets about my purchase. I have an Accu-Tac WB4 and it’s solid as hell! My 50 yard groups even improved using it as opposed to my UTG Recon or my others. I have at five different styles of bipods and the Accu-Tac beats them all bar-none. This is the Accu-Tac on my Brocock Bantam Sniper. I didn’t like using this rear bag or this table, but this bipod made a very noticeable difference.
9947FC3F-001A-4739-8ECF-D9D91C0953AE.1639025039.jpeg

I have seven high end PCP guns, I have a knockoff Bipod on each one, I got a accu tack knock off that works great, I have four Harris knockoffs , and an odd ball one that looks like a accu tac but the legs are a lot narrower . To me it would be a BIG hassle to change out the bipod every time I want to shoot a different gun,

The question is how mush better is it,,, I had a real Harris a few years back, Was it 100 dollars better NO..

was it 50 dollars better NO,,, I think it was five dollars better, A few screws washers and some lock tight ,,, Pretty even score at that point,,,

Mike

@airgunmike56, the only "hassle" switching the bipod from gun to gun is just flicking a lever. If you ever get to use an Accu Tac you would see why the clones can't even begin to compare. Yes you might get them clones to be useable. The Accu Tac still beats them in all other areas, excepting price. As for $5 or $100 better? Every time I deploy mine it's flawless, for me it was money well spent.

This is my $300 accu tac:

IMG_2092.1639061029.JPEG

And this is my $25 Atlas clone (I have 6 of these by now):

IMG_2080.1639061086.JPEG

--------------

And I might be out of my mind but there are almost no differences in practical use of the gun, maybe except the Atlas clone does pan as well (After putting in 2 o-rings in the clone). No difference in accuracy whatsoever, pellets hole on hole in both cases.

A bipod props up the gun, that's it, that's all it does. And this is especially true as airguns make very little recoils compared to powder burners, so airgun bipods take tremendously less abuses compared to real guns. If you feeling patriotic and got the $$, by all means buy made in USA. If you want to make this hobby as econ as possible, maybe buy more pellets to have more actions, I see absolutely no wrong in using a more affordable bipod. 

A good bipod does more than just prop up a gun. The difference in quick, solid deployment in all its adjustments is night and day. If you’re only shooting off a bench go cheap if you will. I use my bipod for pesting and deploy it easily as I see fit. The clones and the UTGs are a pain in the arse to adjust on the fly quickly. I know this from actually using my bipods afield. No one said it was WRONG to use a cheaper less expensive bipod. Just don’t try and say it’s just as good as the Accu Tacs because they’re not.

Thank you all for your responses and input, it has been extremely helpful. I am decently happy with the Atlas clone in my Pulsar. I am zero happy with the clone I had to dremel on my Renegade and it's already taken a table dive as a result; thankfully not to the concrete floor.

I am ordering https://www.amazon.com/UUQ-Adjustable-Tactical-Picatinny-Adjustment/dp/B095PV9JRC/ for the Renegade to see how I like it as it's 1/4 the price of the quality ones. If I find it lacking I'll just ship it back and move forward with the Accu-tac BR4 G2.

The Atlas clone on the Pulsar isn't bad for a fixed bipod; as long as it's locked down tight enough to neither cant nor rotate it's just fine. The one on the Renegade is a pile of dung worthy for the trash.

A sincere thanks to all who responded sharing their experiences allowing me to research different options and compare and contrast my use case to the monetary spend.