Seeking Advice: Budget Scope for Springer?

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, and mindful of first impressions, so at the risk of looking dumb (probably a fair assessment anyway), I have kind of a basic question.

I just succumbed to the temptation and ordered a "refurb" Hatsan Airtact ($49, couldn't resist). I am not new to guns, have quite a few rimfire and centerfire rifles, but this air thing is sort of a mystery to me. I figured it could be fun and I do enjoy squirrels when properly sauted. My eyesight is lousy, but I can do ok with glass. I have a fair number of decent scopes, Leupold, Weaver, Bushnell, Nikon, Mueller, others of varying quality. But if I understand it correctly, I shouldn't use a regular rifle scope on this springer pellet gun? I've spent a lot of time trying to research this (hours on this forum), but it's a bit overwhelming. Much discussion of scopes, but then I have to try to figure out what they've been mounted on, whether they are "rated" for springers, etc.

So ... I kind of give up and submit myself to the mercy and kindness of others.

Can you guys help me with a few recommendations of "budget" scopes that will work with this obviously budget gun? By budget, I was thinking in the $100 range? I know, I spend sometimes 4-5 times the cost of the gun on scopes for my hunting and competition rifles, but I can't bring myself to spend much on this one. Won't be shooting past 20-30 yards. Just looking for something simple with clear glass and that will hold up.

Thank you!

JN

Jared,

Welcome! Crosman has a line of scopes, CenterPoint, which are good quality and fairly priced. Neighbor gave me a Benjamin Trail NP XL .22, about a year ago, with a CenterPoint 3-9x40 factory-installed scope. This rifle has a substantial springer "kick" to it, so surviving many rounds is a testament to the scope's durability. I was so impressed with scope performance and clarity I bought a used one on eBay to replace CenterPoint 4x on Crosman F4 Nitro .177. Think it would be wise to consider for your needs, WM

IMHO you don't need a long eye relief. Your springer isn't a center fire rifle. The problem with most springers is they have a double recoil. They move back towards you when releasing the sear and move forward when the piston stops at the end of the shot cycle. Normal rifle Scopes are braced for the rearward push but not the scope killing forward push. There's also a lot of vibration that also plays heck with scopes. As far as recommending a under$100 scope I'll leave that to others.

If your gun doesn't have a pic rail on top, it's missing a piece...lol. My AirTact, .25 caliber:

Hatsan Airtact 1.1650218835.jpg

That rail is part of a wrap around tube held in place by a set screw on the front top and by the end cap on the rear. That one is new. I also bought a refurb and proceeded to completely tear it apart just to see how Hatsan built the thing. Link to the thread I wrote about it all on GTA and includes a link to an article by a fellow member over there on how to adjust the new style trigger they put in it:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=192707.0

I see a lot of endorsements for the Bug Buster used in conjunction with springers. Today I read a post today from a member claiming that his RWS 34 killed two Bug Busters. It is pretty detailed. Any members have a similar experience with their Bug Buster after using it on springer over a significant amount of time? Here’s the link

New member and airgunner here as well. I ended up getting a Vector Optics Veyron for my springer. I think the 2nd focal plane version is under $200. It is supposedly shock resistant, but older comments here and elsewhere seem to indicate that shock resistant isn't a term that necessarily guarantees anything. I've made a home made shock absorbing mount for mine and am testing and refining that.

Obviously this isn't for everyone, and I'll also add that so far I haven't gotten it particularly accurate (although how much of that is me being new to shooting I don't know). I'll certainly post if the Veyron blows up.

I have had horrible luck with UTG/Bugbuster scopes. I would recommend a Hawke Vantage. Very good entry level lineup with a very good warranty.
Airmax not vantage. Airmax is for springers vantage is for pcp and pump airguns. I've used a cheap as in unbranded bunbled with a PCP scope on my d48 in.177. they're a known scope killer but mine are mounted in a ZR mount and no problem with scopes dieing. There's also a mount called a damprin (?) Mount that's suppose to do the same thing but have no experience with it.