See the expansion and penetration of .30 caliber slugs at different speeds...

Not every slug performs as nice and neat when penetrating game as it does when going into a block of Clear Ballistics 20% gel, or a milk jug filled with water for that matter. Here are some slow speed expansion results to check out. These were shot at typical speeds of slugs and pellets as they would be reaching game at 100 yards. The slugs are lubed Varmint Knocker slugs in .30 caliber, 50 grains, shot into Clear Ballistics 20% gel block. 

Results from left to right: 

875 FPS, 0.375" expansion, 7.5" penetration

750 FPS, 0.300" expansion, 7" penetration

725 FPS, 0.275" expansion, 6.5" penetration

Not shown is a JSB 50 grain pellet hitting at 875 FP, 0.000" expansion, with 8.5" penetration.

IMG_20220130_2052169622.1643596816.jpg

Not every slug performs as nice and neat when penetrating game as it does when going into a block of Clear Ballistics 20% gel, or a milk jug filled with water for that matter. Here are some slow speed expansion results to check out. These were shot at typical speeds of slugs and pellets as they would be reaching game at 100 yards. The slugs are lubed Varmint Knocker slugs in .30 caliber, 50 grains, shot into Clear Ballistics 20% gel block.

Results from left to right:

875 FPS, 0.375" expansion, 7.5" penetration

750 FPS, 0.300" expansion, 7" penetration

725 FPS, 0.275" expansion, 6.5" penetration

Not shown is a JSB 50 grain pellet hitting at 875 FP, 0.000" expansion, with 8.5" penetration.

View attachment 197038
Nice test! I will like to see recovered slugs to see how they preform inside meduim sized game at these speeds.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
@Castin’Catchin’ 26 at these speeds and within normal hunting ranges, the JSB Hades in .30 caliber will do more internal damage and penetrate a touch further than the hollow point based on it's design. For pesting birds and small critters, the Hybrid/deep hollow pointed slug is the ticket with it's expansion and huge initial energy dump.

My preference is for solid nose bullets, that I cast, and headshots. This is for my 30 cal modded Gauntlet .30. I only take headshots (brains) on small and medium game which is hogs down to squirrels for me where I live.

Even for my Texan 457 CF TX2, I prefer solid wide nose meplats (.310 to .340) for maximum penetration and vitals shots out to 160 yards.

Hollowpoints have their place, don’t get me wrong. I do cast a few hollow points, but i use a specific alloy for them which allows for controlled expansion, moderate expansion, no fragmentation, and a retained weight of approximately 95% and higher. This allows the best of both worlds, a little bit of a bigger wound channel and most important to me penetration. I expect a full and complete pass through with two holes. One high and one low providing negative chest pressure and a low hole for faster and better blood trails.

Rifle capabilities play a large role here as well. I only shoot powerful rifles for hunting only capable of providing better ballistics with heavy bullets regardless of caliber.

Last edited: