Second day out with the new Taipan Shorty.

Took the taipan out after doing a bolt check on the tripod because the head was loose yesterday causing a lot of unnecessary movement that, didn't feel right to me and now makes sense after I found the loose bolt holding the ARCA head on (lot of up and down movement yesterday).

What a difference. This tripod is awesome. Easy to setup, 2 levels, a pouch for snacks or ammo, and it's own matching carry bag.

Set the taipan up at 50 from the target, that's a full mag, 2 fliers are on me, the other 8 in that hole. All this from a compact right out of the damn box shooting nothing special ammo with a little barrel, see last pic so you can see where the actual barrel ends. It's not long.

Also had the @targetforge KRL setup at 40 , still got more practice to do. (After I took some sighters I forgot to change mags, so there is a mag change before the very last target)

Tomorrow it gets a body count

20220702_151610.jpg

20220702_145949.jpg

20220702_151231.jpg

20220702_151530.jpg

20220702_133102.jpg

Beautiful property. You definitely have a shooter there in the Taipan.

Thanks for the images of the tripod setup. It was cool to see the setup you recommended in my post on the Deathgrip.

No problem! I had the death grip and it was amazing, but I didn't wanna clamp one of my rifles so I went with this.

Reactions: d3vnull
Another close combat shooting weapon, goes down to crutches..!
It needs a shoulder and two hands to rest on, not crutches.

Maybe a "sniper" model needs help standing up, but a true bullpup....!

Mike

None of our airguns are close COMBAT weapons !!!! Lol

I dont know what your problem is with tripods, tools are meant to make things easier! When killing animals that translates to being able to make ethical kills , you guessed it.... easier!

Length of rifle plays a huge role in target acquisition and this is a fine setup. It gets a body count today. You can do what you like with your airguns, I'll do what works awesome with mine :)

Sorry had to edit all the ! In so it looks like I'm yelling 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: UCChris
Nice gear! What brand is your tripod? And moderator?

Moderator is a thing of pure awesome, it's a Huggett Atom. It's 3.5x1.22 inches , it dropped noise by 10-11 dB which is amazing ontop the factory moderator.

The tripod is the Athlon Midas CF32, aside from the bit of loose hardware out of the box. It punches well above its price point, and it's very light.

Reactions: Mr.H
......It's a .22 , shooting jsb 18.13 at 880 fps. 40 shots per fill before drop off. Untuned and consistent.
When my Short was a .22, It was set for just under 20fpe with the JSB Exact RS 13.34grainers and was AWESOME. It'd get about 100 shots within 20fps. My son and I each shot through a 12 lane field target match, sharing the gun, without filling. That was 96 shots, and I went 48/48 so it was still shooting plenty consistent as far as fps goes. Also killed lots and and lots of pdogs with that 20fpe, out to much further than many would think/ suggest is doable.

Really cool to get that many shots from such a small package. And the Short is REALLY quiet at only 20fpe.

It's a .20 now and set for 20fpe about half the time. A few less shots as a 20fpe/.20 than it did as a 20fpe/.22 but all the rest of the joys are still present.

Dunno if it lines up with your uses for the gun, but if it does, I highly recommend setting the hammer tension to net you around 800-815 using either 14.35gr or 13.34gr for a .22 Vet Short.

Congrats on the Short. Of the airguns I've had the pleasure of shooting, and for what I use them for, the Short qualifies as the best general use gun.

When my Short was a .22, It was set for just under 20fpe with the JSB Exact RS 13.34grainers and was AWESOME. It'd get about 100 shots within 20fps. My son and I each shot through a 12 lane field target match, sharing the gun, without filling. That was 96 shots, and I went 48/48 so it was still shooting plenty consistent as far as fps goes. Also killed lots and and lots of pdogs with that 20fpe, out to much further than many would think/ suggest is doable.

Really cool to get that many shots from such a small package. And the Short is REALLY quiet at only 20fpe.

It's a .20 now and set for 20fpe about half the time. A few less shots as a 20fpe/.20 than it did as a 20fpe/.22 but all the rest of the joys are still present.

Dunno if it lines up with your uses for the gun, but if it does, I highly recommend setting the hammer tension to net you around 800-815 using either 14.35gr or 13.34gr for a .22 Vet Short.

Congrats on the Short. Of the airguns I've had the pleasure of shooting, and for what I use them for, the Short qualifies as the best general use gun.

I can definitely see bringing this rifle down to 20 fpe and still having great consistency and accuracy at range. Like I said , we were breaking clays which i think are 4.5" diameter at 130 yards at it's current setting which is about 50 to 60 yards further than I think I'll ever bring it out in field use. That speaks volume to me.

Moderator is a thing of pure awesome, it's a Huggett Atom. It's 3.5x1.22 inches , it dropped noise by 10-11 dB which is amazing ontop the factory moderator.

The tripod is the Athlon Midas CF32, aside from the bit of loose hardware out of the box. It punches well above its price point, and it's very light.
I had wondered if the tripod was an Athlon. I had recently saw Josh from Pursuit of Accuracy do a review on that unit. Nice. And that Atom looks like it would work well on my Shorty, too!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I had this rifle years ago in 25 cal . It looks like they improved the quality of the stock greatly. I used to pop invasive pest bird’s decimating papaya . They eat a hole straight into it . And when I say popped . That’s exactly what it did with 25 cal polymags. The sound was nuts it would literally pop the birds . Big nasty hole in them . I also remember hitting 5 shots in the green sticker of a tic tac container at 100 yards . Very accurate compact rifle . That’s one to hold on to

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_