Season time

Squirrel and rabbit season (the only game currently permitted to be hunted with airguns) opens September 26th in "Screw Jersey."
Hey hasenpfeffer: you say rabbit, but are you including jackrabbit? Do you eat jackrabbit? I was recently in NM and took a couple jacks. When I told the locals we were eating them, we got the "stink-face." Apparently they're not considered good eating (I thought they tasted ok)?

"Mentolio"Squirrel and rabbit season (the only game currently permitted to be hunted with airguns) opens September 26th in "Screw Jersey."
Hey hasenpfeffer: you say rabbit, but are you including jackrabbit? Do you eat jackrabbit? I was recently in NM and took a couple jacks. When I told the locals we were eating them, we got the "stink-face." Apparently they're not considered good eating (I thought they tasted ok)?
What part of NM were you in ? I live in the SE corner. We're covered up in Jack rabbits and cotton tails this year. Dove season opens the 1st but only the collared dove can be takers with airguns. Works for me ! I can do all the shooting I want from my property. Dove everywhere!
Jimmy

"Mentolio"Hey hasenpfeffer: you say rabbit, but are you including jackrabbit? Do you eat jackrabbit?
Yes, if I'm reading the regs right. And yes, I have eaten them. But as much as it amuses me that the season is all year, I have to admit that I don't actually hunt them in the summer. I see the desert cottontails in my yard scratching themselves and occasionally not looking so healthy, and I don't want to deal with that. I go up to higher elevations after the first frost.