• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Searched here/no luck- most accurate springer w/ useable iron sights under scope

Been looking for a "one and done" air rifle for 2 years. ONLY considering springers. I searched the forums but can't find anything- The diana 34 and 350 and most of the Diana's have been on backorder for months/years.. I don't know much about gas springers but not stubborn.

I have been shooting for 40 years everything from traditional bows and blowguns through high power rifle so I feel like it would not be a waste to get a rifle that can perform. I want to hunt but also possibly compete. I can't spend thousands, but would go up to $700 or so. I learned long ago that having iron sights is a must, and I want to be able to shoot using the iron sights with glass mounted.

Any ideas what to get? Weight is a little bit important, and I would like some nicely figured wood.

No idea where to go, the people at the major retailers of airguns don't have many suggestions.

I am not considering CO2 or precharged. Must be a springer.

Your opinions matter!

Thanks,

EBD

Stick with HW products. For iron sights AND scope buy quick disconnect rings. Leupold has bayonet rings cam lock, I really like them.

For rear iron sight consider the affordable Daisy. It canteleverers back to rubber eye cup in comfortable position eye relief position like expensive 10 meter iron sight rifles. This sight is comparable to much more expensive Williams peep sight BUT at lower cost AND zero eye relief. Best bang for your buck. The Daisey sight was used for adolesence shooting programs and functioned fine and dandy.

Tht HW 95 looks great in Walnut- looks like it is Weirauch or Crossman, can't figure out which (unless both make it).

To answer the question about shoot through sites, because IME sights a that get banged up or removed DON'T immediately zero, and its just a habit that's carried over from hunting rare and/or dangerous game. But I don' suppose I'm going to get charged by a chipmunk LOL.

Everyone seems out of this model too. What give Air rifle companies? Make some products already!

Yeah the HW95 Plain Jane is good with the grooves for a scope but the sights are superb if you skip the scope.

If you scope trying to compromise on what the scope can do without extra elevation added will be the most complicated problem in physics using your cheek, buttstock, ability to go "between sights", or what have you.

Look at me. I have my prized HW35E's in all Silver and Blue and both .177 and .22.

I leave the scope on the Blue .22 HW 35E I bought years ago and I have sighted in the Silver .22 HW35E with the "bead" front and "u" notch rear for my own vision and ability to discern and differentiate the bead's position to the target from 0 to 35 yards with ease in usual daylight condition.

The scoped .22 isn't anymore accurate at 25 yards than my open sighted .22 but both are right on and equal in accuracy.

One likes express light pellets (the Blue Scoped one) and the other likes .22 JSB Jumbo Exact. The actual pellets end up being in that order just because I rotate pellets to see what likes what after I though I knew what rifle likes what.

The one shot rifle can be the HW98 or HW50 or HW35E or HW80 or anything.

But the choice to "download" power to achieve pinpoint accuracy is more rewarding than adding another 5 or 10 yards to your velocity and power to kill or hit something.

I like the air rifle for its absolute efficiency.

I see absolute efficiency in stressing working rifles moderately or above moderate for best overall expectation in air rifle shooting.

The air rifles that can kill pigs in HI is not the air rifle of my dream.

The air rifles that hit the target offhand consistently are the best in my inventory and they are ALL in my inventory;

as a sandbagged or benched or propped rifle is of no use in the field.

Kindly,

John

I asked myself this question a short while back, and settled on a Beeman R9 (I believe exactly the same as a Weirauch HW95) I only got the Beeman version because at the time it was in stock at Pyramid. (in fact, right now it is in stock in .177 AND .22)

It's a superb rifle! I intended to use see though rings as well, as the iron sites that came with it are great and would be good set up for really close in work. So far I have not found a good solution that I did not hate. You have to go really high to clear the sites and then you also have to contend with the front scope element. As mentioned here, I might just switch over to some QR rings. Right now I gave up and am using the Diana zero recoil mount.

Scope OR Sights. Not both. Never works out right. Peeky boo rings are a gimmick. Puts your scope WAY to high. Medium rings fit the 95 perfectly. If your scope won't fit medium rings on a HW95 get another scope. Or have somebody punch your cheek until it fits the stock. That's what I did.

Peeky boo rings are useful for 1% of your shots on their best day. What about the other 99%?

Dangerous game? You're carrying a pellet gun? I got a better tip. Never hunt dangerous game with a buddy who runs faster than you.

Forgive me if I double posted, seems like my reply didn't get recorded.

I am was referring to shoot through rings or mounts for dangerous game on other hunting expeditions. I presume you were trying to be funny about someone hitting you? 99% sure that was just an attempt at humor, but if not explain.

I won't buy a rifle without iron sites, if you break or knock your scope off zero, you're potentially done hunting for the day.

You don't want even 2 × magnification, nevermind 4-10× when something like a Cape buff decides to charge you.

Anyway, I would prefer not to use side mounted or side flipping or quick detach, so just wanted to know if anyone's seen an alternative. Shooting through a raised mount isn't the end of the world, my FAL has an ACOG Mounted high enough to use the ghost rings and I'm totally fine with accuracy out to 300 yards which is the furthest shot I can take at my gun club/range. I would be 100% confident taking that shot on anything hog or deer sized.

I have the Zero Recoil Diana rings and mounts on both HW98s and HW80s and HW95Ls. The plain jane model without the front sight inserts is HOT and I do not have a scope on it because the grooves are off set to the iron sights and even the alignment of a scope on the grooves.

These alignment problems with fixed sights or grooves for scopes happens a lot and over the years I've settled into the notion a bit of extra care by the riflemakers is needed.

When the HW98 came in to my life it is sans iron sights and I can understand why. Just put any decent scope on it and see the thing perform like an Olympic Match Rifle at .25 yards in any caliber of pellet from .177 to .25.

So the answer is to DEDICATE the open sights to the rifle you can shoot in iron sights and dedicate the scope to the rifle you want to shoot beyond your eyesight with precision via optical resolution!

I am going to do more research. I refuse to own a rifle without iron sights.

There were only a few suggestions as far as what rifle is most accurate in .22. Speed not a huge thing, I imagine 50 yards would be the far edge of the range I'd hunt at.

Right now it only looks like detachable or side mounted, or side swing. 

Would anyone agree that a scope that swings to the side is the best way to go?

Speed is not something I am going to obsess over, but nicely figured wood (and/or a thumbhole stock) and weight are important to me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Swing mounts on a springer? No. Nobody would agree to that.

The consensus among experienced airgunners is Scope OR Irons. Not both. That's why you're searching and not finding anything.

Get one or two piece solid mounts in the correct height for your face on your stock. Know beforehand if your rifle has specific droop issues. You may need to compensate with drooper mounts. Many prefer the Diana ZR mount. Then mount the top quality springer rated scope that fits in those rings. Now you have the perfect setup for anything in the outdoors. If you ever do get to the woods and find your scope is off you can fix that in 10 minutes. This is the most consistently accurate and reliable setup you'll find.

Which rifle? That's a harder question. Get several. I have many but for carrying around the HW95 or R9 is hard to beat. It's so popular as a hunting arm for a reason. Actually several reasons. You won't get one in walnut without a custom stock but the walnut colored beech is usually pretty nice.

Thanks for all the input, an old timer pointed out a raised mount and it's exactly like a few of my rifled barrel shotgun setups, no reason why I shouldn't be able to get used to an inch higher cheek weld when I want to use the sscope which I am guessing won't be often under 50 yards.

I was shooting nickels and stickers the size of nickels taped to paper with an old Hatsan at 25 yards today so I think whatever I get will be fine.

The trigger on it sucks though. Gotta get a better rifle! 

Fischer, I think we are on the same page- just a bit confused on which rifle you would buy if only one- I am set on figuring out the shoot through iron sights.

"The one shot rifle can be the HW98 or HW50 or HW35E or HW80 or anything."

Obviously I am 100% set of a springer, but if the gas spring is better I'd go for that. Remember this is going to be my only air rifle, so I want to be sure I get something I will be able to get parts for for a long time, and something I can learn to tune. Weight is a bit of an issue because I want to carry it all day. Looks are helpful and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for nicely figured wood.

Seems to me that side lever is not something anyone brought upm, so break barrel is what I am going for. I'm not prejudiced against any brands, and I am willing to spend a decent amount- not $4000, but I could easily do $300-700 if it makes a difference (and that's not including scope of rings).

I should be able to get something decent with that budget, right?

Out of all the ones we talked about anyone feel free to jump in here!

Fischer, I think we are on the same page- just a bit confused on which rifle you would buy if only one- I am set on figuring out the shoot through iron sights.

"The one shot rifle can be the HW98 or HW50 or HW35E or HW80 or anything."

Obviously I am 100% set of a springer, but if the gas spring is better I'd go for that. Remember this is going to be my only air rifle, so I want to be sure I get something I will be able to get parts for for a long time, and something I can learn to tune. Weight is a bit of an issue because I want to carry it all day. Looks are helpful and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for nicely figured wood.

Seems to me that side lever is not something anyone brought upm, so break barrel is what I am going for. I'm not prejudiced against any brands, and I am willing to spend a decent amount- not $4000, but I could easily do $300-700 if it makes a difference (and that's not including scope of rings).

I should be able to get something decent with that budget, right?

Out of all the ones we talked about anyone feel free to jump in here!

I have many open sighted HWs just for the express purpose to use open sights precisely at or under 30 yards.

I can hit with the "bead" and "u" notch rear on any HW to make them all hit at 25 yards easy, offhand, open-sighted once I have sighted those iron sights in.

Today; incidentally, I pulled out a rifle of use for your specific purpose with accuracy and power and issued iron sights: My HW95 .177 with blade front fixed sight and rear just like any other HW, but sights are LOW in this Plain Jane model of the HW95 with the right hand cheekpiece as standard issue.

I tried to put 3 different scopes on this rifle after sighting in the iron sights and found the scope unable to "click" far enough to center it. No scope worked with fixed mounts of any type.

However, the Plain Jane .177 HW95 Beech Stock is the highest velocity performer in .177 using R9 or HW95L or similar rifles in my inventory.

I got this rifle from AOA some years back and out of the box and seeing the chrono results impressed me more than any other machine made similar with similar or more weight.

It is LIGHT!

It is open sight ACCURATE!

It is the highest velocity compared to an R9 and HW98.

I CAN put adjustable rings on the rifle to make it shoot with a scope that detaches easily; I guess Warne makes adj rings in mounts to get this rifle into the scope for me; but I already have a scoped HW98 .177 which makes hitting further away a lot easier than using iron sights so the HW95 Plain Jane .177 is RESERVED for accurate and powerful .177 duty up to 30 or 35 or even 50 yards.

So, having your iron sights in place is always an advantage. Scopes can fail. But if I have this HW95 .177 with fixed (not replaceable) blade front and rear 4-way HW sight that front blade is exceptionally clearer to my eyes than even the dot front sight on my HW35s.

$200 break barrel, open sights, b/r 25-yards.

swarmmag22_version2.1625521285.jpg

(gamo gen2 swarm .22 magnum)

there's really no need IMO to spend $500+ for backyard plinking. you can peg a squirrels head with just about anything at 50-yards.