"Search", All answers, all the time....

When should I clean the barrel and how should I do it?
Should I store a PCP empty or filled?
Is it difficult to hand pump a PCP?
Is there much difference between the brands of CO2 cartridges?
Is DonnyFL still selling moderators?
How much does a pellet slow down at a distance?
Which gauge should I trust?
Do I need a chronograph? What is a good one?
What's the best type of pellet for hunting?
What kind of O-rings should I use?
What is cant error and how do I eliminate it?
What kind of lubricant should I use on O-rings? What about the hammer?
How do you go about mechanically centering a scope?
How should I adjust my regulated PCP?
Why am I running out of scope adjustment?
How do I fix regulator creep?

That's just scratching the surface. A library of thoughtful, curated, comprehensive answers to such questions would be an excellent resource, but presumably also diminish the casual chatter that drives site traffic. Less traffic translates to less desirable for advertising so I don't think the incentives are compatible.
Fair Warning, I will be asking a few of those questions in the future. Not all of them, mind you, because I've already asked a few of em.

While I don't want to discourage new members to this hobby, I too get frustrated at times by the repetition of questions that clearly have been answered many times, if only they would do a little digging in a search. As others have said, I could just hit the back button and read something else, but that does not help the new member. Rather than chew them out, I'd rather answer the question, but here lies the heart of the issue: It takes far more effort to answer most questions (at least thoroughly) than the poster put into asking their question . . .

As and example, somebody could ask "I've heard I need to dry the air before it goes into my tank or gun - why is that, and do I really need to do that?" in under a minute, and a good answer would take MUCH longer than that . . . and the answer is already on the forum many times over . . .

While I don't want to discourage new members to this hobby, I too get frustrated at times by the repetition of questions that clearly have been answered many times, if only they would do a little digging in a search. As others have said, I could just hit the back button and read something else, but that does not help the new member. Rather than chew them out, I'd rather answer the question, but here lies the heart of the issue: It takes far more effort to answer most questions (at least thoroughly) than the poster put into asking their question . . .

As and example, somebody could ask "I've heard I need to dry the air before it goes into my tank or gun - why is that, and do I really need to do that?" in under a minute, and a good answer would take MUCH longer than that . . . and the answer is already on the forum many times over . . .
yeah well, there's numerous posts exactly like yours on this very thread... yet here you are. A quick SEARCH would've shown you that and we wouldn't have been tortured by being forced to read your repetitive comment.

• Haha
Reactions: Healthservices
Not agreeing with MikeWV as I was given the “search is your friend” answer when I first got into this in 2017, but I understand the frustration. Let’s take two topics- one- “what’s the best way to practice while shooting in the wind”, vs “should I store my gun with or without air”.

Which topic of these two do you think is flooded over, and out of these two which one would bring out the most responses due to interest? Lastly, which of these would be more answered by a a long time airgun enthusiast vs a guy that bought his first Pcp two months ago?

The new guys won’t notice this, but I have seen a decline in participation from the “seasoned vets” when it comes to question number two in the example. The reason I don’t see them frequent is the topic subjects, lately. A lot of the topics were asked by someone else a week before if not the next page. They are more prone to participate in topics like question number one. So what concerns me is the fact that you have a newbie of two months now helping the brand new newbie, very close to the comment made of “the blind leading the blind”.

Not saying I’m perfect, as I, too have my share of questions. Last night I spent a few hours reading up on barrel harmonics control. I’m doing my due diligence anf researching, not just hopping on here asking the question and chancing I get a thread derailment or some guy quoting a YouTube advisor that he watched two days before and now feels he’s the authority on the subject.

As far as not being computer saavy, I’m not buying that one as I, too, have my challenges getting around the search feature but I know how to type my questions in a Google search- how hard is that?

I’ll end it with this- yes, ask all and any questions you have, but understand not all of them are going to be answered by the ones you really want to help you, especially if it’s like the second question in my example

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrmetals and Vetmx
Not agreeing with MikeWV as I was given the “search is your friend” answer when I first got into this in 2017, but I understand the frustration. Let’s take two topics- one- “what’s the best way to practice while shooting in the wind”, vs “should I store my gun with or without air”.

Which topic of these two do you think I’d flooded over, and out of these two which one would bring out the most responses due to interest?

The new guys won’t notice this, but I have seen a decline in participation from the “seasoned vets” when it comes to question number two in the example. They are more prone to participate in topics like question number one. So what concerns me is the fact that you have a newbie of two months helping the brand new newbie, very close to the comment made of “the blind leading the blind”.

Not saying I’m perfect, as I, too have my share of questions. Last night I spent a few hours reading up on barrel harmonics control. I’m doing my due diligence anf researching, not just hopping on here asking the question and chancing I get a guy quoting a YouTube advisor that he watched two days before and now feels he’s the authority on the subject.

As far as not being computer saavy, I’m not buying that one as I, too, have my challenges getting around the search feature but I know how to type my questions in a Google search- how hard is that?
I agree with what you said, but to answer the question you asked "how hard is that?" It's not hard. As a matter of fact, it's ALMOST as easy as letting new members be new members until they're as useful and flawless as the rest of the folks around here.

I'm glad a bunch of ego maniacs didn't start a bunch of threads crying when I asked one of the forbidden questions. Of course, that was over a month ago. People need to stop taking lessons from the subsection of society that the major news networks choose to spotlight. Everything in life that doesn't go your way doesn't need to be the subject of a big 'ol whine fest.

Which topic of these two do you think is flooded over, and out of these two which one would bring out the most responses due to interest? Lastly, which of these would be more answered by a a long time airgun enthusiast vs a guy that bought his first Pcp two months ago?

The new guys won’t notice this, but I have seen a decline in participation from the “seasoned vets” when it comes to question number two in the example. The reason I don’t see them frequent is the topic subjects, lately. A lot of the topics were asked by someone else a week before if not the next page. They are more prone to participate in topics like question number one. So what concerns me is the fact that you have a newbie of two months now helping the brand new newbie, very close to the comment made of “the blind leading the blind”.

Not saying I’m perfect, as I, too have my share of questions. Last night I spent a few hours reading up on barrel harmonics control. I’m doing my due diligence anf researching, not just hopping on here asking the question and chancing I get a thread derailment or some guy quoting a YouTube advisor that he watched two days before and now feels he’s the authority on the subject.

I’ll end it with this- yes, ask all and any questions you have, but understand not all of them are going to be answered by the ones you really want to help you, especially if it’s like the second question in my example
Shoot me a text or phone call if you want some insight on the barrel harmonics thing.

Reactions: Bigragu
And yet again I ask, WHY isn't there a FAQ section for "Newbies" (or whomever)? Personally, I've gotten over seeing the questions repeated. We ALL had to start at some point of ignorance (not stupidity, ignorance). I like helping & encouraging people into this sport but an "FAQ" or "If You're New" page would be of service to most IMHO.
This is the best idea in this thread. Where do I sign up to contribute on the intricacies of soup can shooting? I can write a whole chapter! 😀

Reactions: Gerry52
Yes, there is never new information, insight, or experience to give on an old question.
You know what annoys me.......people that take the time to "vent/bitch" about what they don't like regarding the actions of others when the reality of it is those actions don't really affect your life at all. ESPECIALLY any specific member here that has quite the history of expecting others to have the same views as him or be considered a less intelligent person.

Depending on the words you choose, the built in search function can give you hundreds of threads to go through. Using a post to ask a human can often get the results faster without having to read 15 pages of threads. It took me a while to see the Advanced button that appears at the bottom right when you click in the search box. That can help reduce the number of non related posts that come up. To refine the results even more precisely you can use Google Site Search.

Some examples of Google Site Search usage. Ignore the red linked text that I can't seem to undo. The site search has to start with the word site: including the colon with no space, then the site address followed by a space, then the search terms.
There are more ways to refind your search than the quotes, asterisk and the question mark. This page gives 8 of them.

I would think the success of a forum such as this would initially depend upon a couple things. #1, a WELCOMING & encouraging attitude towards the uninitiated & #2, the quality of information disseminated & the eagerness to impart it. I don't mean financial success (though that might come in time) but success of the airgunning "community" found here. I had a LOT of questions 6 years ago & NEVER was made to feel unwelcome, unencouraged, stupid or not worth anyone's time. It was a great model that I try to pay forward. What's the big deal with passing along what one has learned? A lot of questions get repeated, hence my FAQ page suggestion, but that doesn't mean I won't try to help someone just because it's the same question I've heard umpteen times before. I just want to see others find the same joy & excitement I've found with this "sport" & I'll continue to actively welcome & encourage the un or newly initiated. The only question that STARTS to get my goat are the "WHAT'S THE BEST....." but all others are fair game in the learning curve!

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone here is actually reading all of this or just what they wrote? this post is contradictory and pointless. you want people to not ask questions, but instead use search. OK well here's a little fact, any question ever asked by anyone has been answered at some point in the history of the internet, so I guess the people complaining have not used the search function. noobs shouldn't ask questions or answer questions until there not noobs, but if they can't ask or answer then how do they graduate? and what constitutes a noob?
imagine how your schoolteacher must feel having spent 30 years answering the same dumb questions, sometimes by the same kids.
maybe, if you know a question has been answered you can just point this noob to the post that answers his question. but I understand if being a helpful part of a group is too much work.
as for a FAQ section, why do you feel the mods should redo a web page to make you happy? do you write code? it takes time, and maybe they're busy. instead, how about someone take the first step and create a FAQ post and just have a sticky. that's a lot easier for mods and it can be put anywhere. heck, you can even have a FAQ section that pertains to each section. I know, that's work.
I understand the OP is venting, and that's ok because that's what were here for. just remember, that question that you thought was original wasn't. we are all guilty of asking the same questions, sure maybe they're not the ridiculously basic questions that are actually covered in your owner's manual (hint to all noobs reading this), but a repeated one none the less.

I wonder if anyone here is actually reading all of this or just what they wrote? this post is contradictory and pointless. you want people to not ask questions, but instead use search. OK well here's a little fact, any question ever asked by anyone has been answered at some point in the history of the internet, so I guess the people complaining have not used the search function. noobs shouldn't ask questions or answer questions until there not noobs, but if they can't ask or answer then how do they graduate? and what constitutes a noob?
imagine how your schoolteacher must feel having spent 30 years answering the same dumb questions, sometimes by the same kids.
maybe, if you know a question has been answered you can just point this noob to the post that answers his question. but I understand if being a helpful part of a group is too much work.
as for a FAQ section, why do you feel the mods should redo a web page to make you happy? do you write code? it takes time, and maybe they're busy. instead, how about someone take the first step and create a FAQ post and just have a sticky. that's a lot easier for mods and it can be put anywhere. heck, you can even have a FAQ section that pertains to each section. I know, that's work.
I understand the OP is venting, and that's ok because that's what were here for. just remember, that question that you thought was original wasn't. we are all guilty of asking the same questions, sure maybe they're not the ridiculously basic questions that are actually covered in your owner's manual (hint to all noobs reading this), but a repeated one none the less.
Bravo! I think it's pretty ironic and funny that the main complainers are all repeating each other. Seems silly since according to them, repeating what others have already said (or asked) is in poor form and should result in a public shaming. If these guys can all complain repeatedly about the same thing, how is that different than asking the same questions over and over?

Before you old timer experts who are so easily annoyed on this forum post anything on this thread, you should use the search function to make sure some other elitist snob didn't already post it.

I get both sides of it. I understand.
But what I really like is Mikevv's ability to push buttons. Hes a vet. Knows where, when, and just how hard to hit.
That, to me is a learned skill.
Now it's just a matter of what "I" do with it.
I'm a steel worker by trade and this is just another day of sparks flying
Thank you to all who ask questions, new or not.
Thank you to all who answer questions.
Thank you for your time
John

What is with this hitting the back button ?? The other option is not clicking on the mother ———- in the first place. Sorry just wife triggered at the moment.
You're missing the point.... when you reach Elite status, you'll realize there's no time to bypass things that don't interest you. This forum is too full of things that really bother a handful guys who know what really needs to be posted. Guys too important to be sidetracked by things they've seen before.

It's good to remember where we all came from as a new person in airgunning. I'm so glad that when I started participating in the forums that I was welcomed and many others helped me with all of the questions that had that had been already asked and answered many times over.

The information on these forums is great but for me it's also the relationships/interactions that I have through the keyboard on these forums. This is the only "club" that I am a part of where I can go interact with others with a similar interest in airguns. It's something that I can do when I have the time and in the comfort of my own home or elsewhere.

If you don't like the repeated questions just move on. No need to start a thread complaining about it.

Easy way to solve the problem is to go shoot airguns more so there is less time to read repetitive question posts.
7F32FFC4-C6BF-464E-877A-9392BF9694CC.jpeg
2A370844-FF1E-4E3C-A6B9-B99E70A6BF7D.jpeg

Last edited: