• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

"Search", All answers, all the time....

I keep seeing the SAME questions come up, almost day after day, at least...week after week !
More of the SAME... People ask questions that have been answered by MANY folks here, but for some odd reason, no one, or few...seem to use the search function.
This causes the SAME answers to be put up on the board, to comment on the same...questions, for what...to use up space..?

The designer(s) of this site, went to a lot of effort to make the "search" function...ACTUALLY...work ! I know, I've used it, countless times.

For old timers and especially for the new guys and girls...the "search" function works !

Mike

I resemble that remark!

Sometimes people are just lazy. Esp when a thread is like 52 pages long. And the same question is ask 4 or 5 times still!

Besides it's what keeps the forum going.

Last thing a new guy was wants to hear is some guy calling them a idiot or telling them to use common sense. Sometimes it takes a certain way to explain it or even a couple pictures.

I know that I'm pretty slow and unfortunately some mistakes are like bad habits, hard to break.

Allen

When should I clean the barrel and how should I do it?
Should I store a PCP empty or filled?
Is it difficult to hand pump a PCP?
Is there much difference between the brands of CO2 cartridges?
Is DonnyFL still selling moderators?
How much does a pellet slow down at a distance?
Which gauge should I trust?
Do I need a chronograph? What is a good one?
What's the best type of pellet for hunting?
What kind of O-rings should I use?
What is cant error and how do I eliminate it?
What kind of lubricant should I use on O-rings? What about the hammer?
How do you go about mechanically centering a scope?
How should I adjust my regulated PCP?
Why am I running out of scope adjustment?
How do I fix regulator creep?

That's just scratching the surface. A library of thoughtful, curated, comprehensive answers to such questions would be an excellent resource, but presumably also diminish the casual chatter that drives site traffic. Less traffic translates to less desirable for advertising so I don't think the incentives are compatible.

Last edited:
Old timer here. I have used the search function several times. With dis-appointing results. Using very specific key words used in a topic I had previously read AND posted a comment in that post. So answer me this. What was wrong with the 2 words ON and OFF. Now we have a symbol or symbols, An unfinished circle with a little line cutting thru the bottom. What was wrong with GREEN for ON and RED for OFF. Let,s go to appliances. I've had stoves with ovens that had dials, oh my "DIALS" (we have to get rid of dials) why (because we need to come up with a new gimmick) I go to turn my oven on. I twist a (DIAL) to 400',,,done. I twist the (DIAL) for the timer to 30 minutes,,,done. Go turn your new oven on now. You have to POKE at it.OOPs went to far.
Got to POKE,POKE,POKE,POKE it some more the other way. OOPS went to far the other way,,,p,o,s. A mouse just pissed on a circuit board in the oven,time for a new oven.Your all idiots if you think this is better.

Last edited:
I find it a damn shame that someone would dare ask any questions or God forbid the same question that someone else has asked. Is information like money that you have and are not going to share?
I alwayx try to find the answer my self before asking anyone However in the future I will try to find someone to tell me is it okay to ask. I am ust not that good on a computeras some and typeing does not come easy ,so my results are not as good as they could be. Maybe other folks find the same thing.
Thanks to all the folks that have answered my questions in the past.
To all the people that have questions, go to Airgun Nation. Those folks know a lot and most are willing to help ANYONE .

I used to think the same way... 'search is your friend'. Then, several years back I had seen a video of a laser burning paper and I had to have one...so I went to the website to order and saw the price of near $400... nope! So I decided to build one. I signed up on a laser forum and I tried my best to search, but to be honest, I didnt even know what to search for. I didnt understand the lingo, I just was clueless. Moreover, I didnt know who really knew what. So I had to ask and I'm sure I asked questions that had been asked over and over. A few folks stated 'search is your friend', but dammit, I tried to search... It gave me a new appreciation for someone coming brand new into this game of airguns and being clueless.

In addition, I've found that many of these newbie questions lead off into other topics that help others out, and as mentioned gives interaction. I mean, if we think about it, probably 80% of questions have been answered before, somewhere... so imagine participation in this forum dropping 80%. Not good.

Besides, I've met some good folks in addressing newbie questions here.

It's kind of funny when self appointed "OG's" get upset at the less informed just simply and politely trying to learn something. You old timers should feel proud. Would you guys still be here if your initial questions got met with so much judgement and disdain? I kinda doubt it. So, instead of letting us 'Newbs" irritate you so much, why not just skip the offending thread and spend the time continuing to admire yourselves in the mirror, patting yourselves on the back for only asking original, never before asked questions.

My fellow air gun breathern of vast knowledge…
We were all new to our hobby/sport at one time or another.
We all had questions that somewhere someone had answered but we felt compelled to ask anyway.
No one is under any obligation to answer any questions on this or any other forum. And someone other than yourselves may have better answers to the questions by which you are so troubled.
Do as I do; Simply move on to the next tab or post.
Better yet, go out and spend time shooting your guns or do something airgun related. Doing so, you will never know a question that has been repeatedly asked was asked repeatedly again and you won’t be annoyed.
Please don’t belittle people who look up to you an your wealth of knowledge asking questions hoping for a quick answer rather than spending time trying to research it on their own. Maybe they have and couldn’t find it.
It is not the responsibility of AGN to develop a no-cost-to-you forum where answers to questions are in a single file search engine. That’s why it’s called a forum.
I will now take my own advice and go to the great outdoors with fresh air and friends and enjoy the great sport of air guns.

while I understand the annoyance of repeated questions, I also know the search function sucks lol, and that goes for any forum. there have been plenty of times where I search but get results for a question I didn't ask. exe. "how to adjust a regulator" well the search decided that the key word there was "how" so now every post or response with that word comes up, great 100 pages to skim through and I still didn't get the answer. then there's the questions that you have to word a certain way to get results and lets not even talk about words that are spelled the same like lead and lead lol. sometimes asking the question is faster and as a person responding you will understand in what context I'm asking.
that being said, I myself don't ask many questions because I still try to research first so if I ask a question, you can be assured I have searched to the point of aggravation and just want an answer. and preferably not the "just figure it out" answer that some give.

Reactions: fishing43 and HeyU
Nothing wrong with asking questions, but I think that people should do their due diligence (leg work). If a person is technologically challenged then that’s something else. Some people will help those with that sort of issue. What I find irksome about this practice are the folks that pepper the forums with many threads asking basic questions that have been answered countless times. What happens is when others go to use the AGN search function, or an external search engine, then a bunch of posts with similar information and off-topic chatter appear. It makes finding an obscure thread a tedious task to locate and that thread may be the one holding the actual answer(s).

I will usually will sift through 4-10 pages of search results per search and generally don’t mind. This may take me back a few years (yesterday I was reading threads from 2019 so if you’re receiving likes from old posts…). I actually enjoy it, but if I’m tired or pressed for time it can become very frustrating by significantly extending my search time. The search function is a lot better than it used to be and way more efficient than other message boards and forums. I will frequently recommend searching the threads because I have encountered a lot of info in these forums. Bookmarking threads really helps me as well as other methods, but some people suck at this about as much as me left in a machine shop to make my own parts. If it seems harsh to suggest that others search for their own answers, I hold myself to the same standard. I also realize that we have different talents and that new people want access to PMs and the classifieds. I think the classifieds drives traffic more than the desire to interact with others. Social interaction can be had across various social media platforms, message boards, and internet forums. PMs are a great way to communicate with willing and knowledgeable members. An FAQ section would be great resource to have to revisit and to refer new members actually trying to figure their guns and issues out - @nervoustrig’s list looks like a good example. My $0.02.

Last edited:
And yet again I ask, WHY isn't there a FAQ section for "Newbies" (or whomever)? Personally, I've gotten over seeing the questions repeated. We ALL had to start at some point of ignorance (not stupidity, ignorance). I like helping & encouraging people into this sport but an "FAQ" or "If You're New" page would be of service to most IMHO.

I personally find it entertaining to answer a newbie's questions. If it's not in an area of my personal knowledge then finding the answer for them reduces how much that we both don't know. That's not a bad thing. (If you wish to learn, teach.)

Some here have a teacher's mindset, others don't. This board is what it is and I'm fine with that. The people that have the need to express their unhappiness about this and that here only add to the entertainment.

Peace,

J~

Reactions: Asbestos
It's 2023.... kinda strange to wonder why people get so triggered and aggravated over absolutely nothing. These days, if there's something to complain about, someone will certainly take the bit in their mouths and run. It's the new thing... My, how we have "progressed" with our social skills and tolerance for others.

I always start with a google search. AGN is one of many results.
I average the answers in my head and move forward.

The site traffic is the biggest reason not to discourage newbs. I’ll be a newb for a long time to come.

Also as a part time obsessive compulsive, I read everything I could for at least two years before I bought my first pcp last July.

Reading isn’t enough, I know, but it helped with a lot of the basic questions.the real learning only can be done hands on.
Next stop regulated PCPs. Likely over a year out.

I extend my thanks to you all for giving me such a vast amount of experience driven info, for free!

Now I just need to get my hands on a bullpup and decide if I like them without buying one first.

I keep seeing the SAME questions come up, almost day after day, at least...week after week !
More of the SAME... People ask questions that have been answered by MANY folks here, but for some odd reason, no one, or few...seem to use the search function.
This causes the SAME answers to be put up on the board, to comment on the same...questions, for what...to use up space..?

The designer(s) of this site, went to a lot of effort to make the "search" function...ACTUALLY...work ! I know, I've used it, countless times.

For old timers and especially for the new guys and girls...the "search" function works !

Mike
This DUDE is why I like the other airgun forums much better.

When should I clean the barrel and how should I do it?
Should I store a PCP empty or filled?
Is it difficult to hand pump a PCP?
Is there much difference between the brands of CO2 cartridges?
Is DonnyFL still selling moderators?
How much does a pellet slow down at a distance?
Which gauge should I trust?
Do I need a chronograph? What is a good one?
What's the best type of pellet for hunting?
What kind of O-rings should I use?
What is cant error and how do I eliminate it?
What kind of lubricant should I use on O-rings? What about the hammer?
How do you go about mechanically centering a scope?
How should I adjust my regulated PCP?
Why am I running out of scope adjustment?
How do I fix regulator creep?

That's just scratching the surface. A library of thoughtful, curated, comprehensive answers to such questions would be an excellent resource, but presumably also diminish the casual chatter that drives site traffic. Less traffic translates to less desirable for advertising so I don't think the incentives are compatible.
AMEN! Lol, I think that’s why I only look at the classifieds anymore because it’s always the same questions being asked daily 😀

Personally, I think it's only fair that the moderators and owners of this site pull you guys in to provide insight as to what can be posted on this forum so as not to annoy you fellas. Lord knows, we don't need an unhinged snowflake running loose because they've seen a thread with a question that has clearly already been addressed at some point. God forbid Sir Whinesalot has to hit the back button and find something more geared to what they want to read.