sealing 1/4 npt threads

YELLOW thread seal tape is a bit thicker [typically used for gas connections]
I have found it to work Amazing for sealing threads. Much Much better than regular white Teflon tape.. 

Yellow can be found just about anywhere too.. Home Depot / Lowe's / Etc..

1554588847_15139574025ca924afe44be3.49229518_c308ee27-289c-4eb0-a00a-1067e269da17_1.97adddd52...jpeg

🙂👍 

Sam -

Dowty seals are for Parallel threads such as BSPP or Metric (e.g., M10x1). Delrin seals can also be used inside some parallel threads, but these are prone to splitting and distorting. Also, if you overcompress a delrin donut too much you can restrict or block airflow in the fitting.

Tape works well for Tapered threads (e.g., NPT) and makes for easy assembly/reassembly. If the threads you are taping are both stainless steel, they make a special tape with nickel content to avoid galling of the stainless threads.

Anymore, anything I apply Teflon tape to, I take the extra step and apply a thin coat of Nylog. It’s used to coat O rings and pipe threads in the refrigeration industry, and if you looked at the videos on it, one drop stretches out to like two feet. Very elastic, takes to heat and cold temps well, and allows for easy disassembly of the threaded joints later on. I just used that stuff on 3/8” NPT fittings on the coolant filtration kit that I run on my Ford Powerstroke diesel. I had to replace the water pump, and any NPT threads in the system got white Teflon tape and Nylog. No leaks whatsoever. I’ve even used it on my transmission fluid pipe connections, and no leaks. Understand that what I’m using it on gets really hot, and no leaks years later. 

In pcp applications, I made up a 90 degree quick connnect using 1/8” stainless NPT fittings, and used that stuff. No leaks. 

Nylog can for sure be found at your local HVAC supply house, or probably amazon.