• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scuba Tank Info Please

This hand pump is killing me. Would you guys please chime in and tell me what additional equipment I will need if I bought a used tank off craigslist? You know: SIZE, valve(s), regulators, adapters, etc..... Where is the best place to purchase and approximately how much it will $et me back? I know recertification will set me back about 60 bucks?!

Thanks in advance,

John

If you're shooting a 2000psi fill gun you'll get a fair amount of use from your scuba tank, 3000 psi, not so much. AOA has a fill calculator that will show how many fills from a give size tank for a given size air cylinder. As mentioned above, how close is the nearest place to get it filled? Dive shops are best IMO, paintball shops second. You need a hydro test every 5 years and a visual inspection every year for a scuba tank. You might want to consider a carbon fiber tank if you plan on staying with shooting PCPs.

IF you're near a shop that can fill to 4500psi you'd do well to get an SCBA tank. More air, more fills & lighter than a Scuba tank. You can get a fill adapter & whip on Ebay or Aliexpress for around $60. Someone recently posted about NEW SCBA's for $150 if they're still available. That's the route I'd suggest. Look under Tanks, Pumps, Compressors here. Drager 45 minute SCBA. 

Keep in mind you don’t need to fill to the rifle’s max pressure. Any pressure above the reg setpoint will let you shoot, it’s a question of how many shots on a fill. If you are shooting off a bench you can tether a 3000 psi 80 cu ft with no external regulator, shoot down to 2400 psi, and you have many shots. Here in PNW old 3AL 3000 80s are cheap, need 5-year hydro and yearly visual and eddy-current inpection for about $65.

That being said I hope to het a compressor this year and avoid the weekly trip to the scuba shop. At $8 a fill it’s just math for the compressor pay-off.

Keep in mind you don’t need to fill to the rifle’s max pressure. Any pressure above the reg setpoint will let you shoot, it’s a question of how many shots on a fill. If you are shooting off a bench you can tether a 3000 psi 80 cu ft with no external regulator, shoot down to 2400 psi, and you have many shots. Here in PNW old 3AL 3000 80s are cheap, need 5-year hydro and yearly visual and eddy-current inpection for about $65.

That being said I hope to het a compressor this year and avoid the weekly trip to the scuba shop. At $8 a fill it’s just math for the compressor pay-off.

What is this?

3AL 3000 80s

Ponz,

Got to be very careful not to purchase a Yong Heng clone, many out there, main clue is to have one with a metal ID plate that identifies YONGIHENG Pneumatic Company, as shown. I only recommend purchase from eBay's best-homepro. He's out of China but has 4 US warehouses. WM
IMG_20220306_111739.1649519754.jpg

Ponz,

Got to be very careful not to purchase a Yong Heng clone, many out there, main clue is to have one with a metal ID plate that identifies YONGIHENG Pneumatic Company, as shown. I only recommend purchase from eBay's best-homepro. He's out of China but has 4 US warehouses. WM
IMG_20220306_111739.1649519754.jpg

$hit! I'm trying to cancel the order now. eBay says it's too late. I sent the seller three messages so far.

Ponz,

Normally, you only get to see metal plate upon unpackaging compressor. Think the first guy showed metal label to argue that purchaser should have known not an actual Yong Heng, based upon label. Also, no white "Yong Heng" painted on side, although clones easily copy that. Best-homepro did well by me, and a few others on this forum, bought mine on 6/21 with a manufacture date of 12/20. First guys label shows 2017 manufacture date. Best-homepro has given no reason not to trust him to deliver an authentic Yong Heng. WM

I just bit the bullet for: YONG HENG 110V 30Mpa Manual Shut Air Compressor Pump 4500PSI High Pressure PCP | eBay

It's a/c only so down the road I'll be looking for a bottle setup. Kyles1990 said I could get a full setup off eBay for around $300??

John

As was stated above, the SCBA tanks are a lot lighter, and higher pressure.

I have been using scuba tanks with my avenger. An AL40 (Aluminum, 40 cubic foot) filled to 3k provides for a LOT of shots for me.

If you decide to go with steel tanks, you will have 2 common choices. You can go with LP (Low Pressure) tanks that charge to 2650 psi on the original hydro test. When time for a new hydro, you will likely have to ask the hydro facility for the + rating to retain the 2650 psi fill pressure (LP tanks come with a plus rating from the factory) or your fill is supposed to be 10% lower. Or you can go with a HP (High Pressure) tank that fills to 3442 psi. Depending on your location, some shops will "cave fill" LP tanks to 4k, and some a bit beyond.

If you go straight to the hydro shop, instead of a dive shop, it usually runs me about $20 per tank.

Did you have any luck with your compressor?

DW