Scuba shop fill vs “ cheap “ compressor ?

"Breathable" air for Scuba & SCBA life support tanks is held to a different standard & codes of quality. That's why there's been so many posts here about having good moisture/oil filters with our "cheap" compressors. Air under pressure creates adiabatic heating which, in turn, causes condensation of water molecules that can enter tanks, guns, etc. The quality of breathable air @ dive shops, after filtration, is much drier than what comes out of our "cheapies" at home without filtration, obviously. There are plenty of filters available to us that will effectively remove enough oil, condensation, etc. to give us safe, non-breathable air for our guns & tanks. We just need to keep up on inspection/maintenance to keep that air as contaminant free as possible where dive shop compressors are held to a rigid schedule of inspection/maintenance. (That goes for Fire Dept. compressors too).

EDIT: Not sure who regulates paintball shops or if they're self regulated. If SELF regulated I wouldn't go to them for breathable quality air.

I do dive shops and gas shops (dry nitrogen ), but the above is true. You have to be negligent to allow your toys to break. I suggest common sense filtration and some routine maintenance. I am the anti moisture guy if there ever was one, but If I can say common sense prevails then you should listen to the above post.

Best of luck.

"Breathable" air for Scuba & SCBA life support tanks is held to a different standard & codes of quality. That's why there's been so many posts here about having good moisture/oil filters with our "cheap" compressors. Air under pressure creates adiabatic heating which, in turn, causes condensation of water molecules that can enter tanks, guns, etc. The quality of breathable air @ dive shops, after filtration, is much drier than what comes out of our "cheapies" at home without filtration, obviously. There are plenty of filters available to us that will effectively remove enough oil, condensation, etc. to give us safe, non-breathable air for our guns & tanks. We just need to keep up on inspection/maintenance to keep that air as contaminant free as possible where dive shop compressors are held to a rigid schedule of inspection/maintenance. (That goes for Fire Dept. compressors too).

EDIT: Not sure who regulates paintball shops or if they're self regulated. If SELF regulated I wouldn't go to them for breathable quality air.

100% agreement here.

Have been going to a local ( 45 minute drive one way ) SCBA and Scuba Dive Shop for two years and have 'never' had any issues with moisture. Initially, I tried filling at some paintball shops and I was left feeling very unimpressed for a variety of reasons. i.e., Poor QC, can't fill to 4500 PSI, long lines, lack of adequate knowledge, etc.... I have three Airguns ( 2 HP .22 bottle guns, and one standard bottle gun ) and I normally go to the Dive shop every two and sometimes three weeks for a fill. I fill to 4500 PSI and normally get it refilled at around 3000 PSI. 

OP - Treat yourself to a good quality CF Air Tank from Joe Broncatto @ Airtanks for Sale and find a good quality Dive/Scuba shop that "can fill to 4500 PSI."  Alternatively, get a good compressor and there are plenty of posts about good quality compressors on this forum to evaluate.

1598196878_8376071615f428c8e814599.93100528.jpg
Have this filter set up on the yong heng 

Think it was about $270 seems to work good

But obviously must maintain it

Id use scuba shop if you have that option over cheep compressor

"If you have that option" (how long, how far, cooling loss) and IF they will fill above 3k if needed. A "cheap" compressor with adequate filtration can work very well.

The dive shop I found , I drive by at least twice a week ( work) and they do fill to 4500 psi. They charge 20.00- 25.00. ( great white) not sure if that is a good price or not ? One of these tanks should last me a very very long time. As I rarely shoot, and need this for coon control. For example I have a hw98 and am on my second tin of 250 pellets sense I bought it, about 7-8 years ago. It just don’t have it in it to dispatch coons, I need more power. But can’t go 22 rim fire. 

Paintball shops arguably wouldn't need to provide as "high quality" of air as a scuba shop or fire department since nobody is supposed to be breathing the air they are supplying. However, I have been using a paintball shop for my fills ($5 any size tank) for about the past year and have had no issues and have never noticed any moisture, which I do keep an eye out for. I trust that they maintain clean and dry air since the majority of their fills for paintball are going into their own guns which they rent out to people for the day. So certainly a good incentive for them to have clean/dry air.

For me, filling at a dive shop guarantees quality breathing air. I have 3 dive shops within a 12 minute drive with the closest one I frequent within a 5 minute drive. They know what I use my CF tank for and they fill it pass 4500 psi so by the time it cools down it's at 4500+. Cool thing is that they all charge me $3.00 whether it's at zero psi or 3000. The only problem is this COVID pandemic BS which has shut down all the dive shops as non-essential but I made a friend at one of them that helps me out which I'm grateful for.

My local PB shop charges $6 per 500 psi regardless of tank size. I usually go in at 2500 so $24 plus tax for my typical fill to 4500. Most my guns now are 250 - 350 mPa max fill so I don't get many gun "fills" before the tank is below 250 mPa (~3700 psi). I planning on getting a YH comp soon just so I can keep the big tank topped off or maybe fill guns directly to their rated capacity. Too much trouble to go to the shop every time the tank is below 4000. 

For me, filling at a dive shop guarantees quality breathing air. I have 3 dive shops within a 12 minute drive with the closest one I frequent within a 5 minute drive. They know what I use my CF tank for and they fill it pass 4500 psi so by the time it cools down it's at 4500+. Cool thing is that they all charge me $3.00 whether it's at zero psi or 3000. The only problem is this COVID pandemic BS which has shut down all the dive shops as non-essential but I made a friend at one of them that helps me out which I'm grateful for.

3.00 ,wow that would be great !