Scuba Compressor for Home

@eglassy An Alkin W31 Mariner is a top tier compressor. But you’re looking at upwards of $3000. On the budget friendly side a Yong Heng compressor is around $300 (I think), but it requires modifications and a lot more attention.

This is a rather common question. If you search the compressor forums you’ll find plenty of good compressor information on AGN. Oh and by the way, welcome to Airgun Nation. Here are a few links to threads to help get you better acquainted with the information you seek. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/compressor.1267803/

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
May I ask you a little clarification? I'm from Europe and we talk about litres when we talk about tanks. So, are you talking about a big 97 cu feet tank, that would be a 9 litre tank, or a 60 minute tank (as by the firemen)? If so, I wouldn't advise you to take the small yong heng. It's not build for that size of tanks. It will fill them if you don't let it work too long in one go and if you cool it well and maintain it when necessary but it will eventually fail. And the delay may vary quite a bit! I installed a few of them, as well as its "Tuxing equivalent" and they all ended badly.

If the real thing (the Alkin is an excellent option indeed, or a Bauer or a Nardi Atlantic, or even a Coltri may be cheaper alternatives, although not sure in the us) is not in the budget (we're talking roughly between 2400-3500, depending on model and options), I would suggest to take at least a two stage tuxing compressor. Slightly more expensive (+/- 400) than the mono cylinder yong heng but also more comfortable with greater tanks. I would still suggest to fill up the tank as often as possible rather than wait until it's very low in pressure.

You never told us your budget. Are you rich with money to throw away? Then get the bauer or alkin. But expect to pay $3000 to $5000. If you are living pay check to pay check like most of us, there are many under $1000 compressor that will fill your tank. The yong heng being cheapest at $250 can fill your tank. But you need to fill in like 20-30 min session and let it rest for like 30 min. When just topping off your tank, it usually take 1 or 2 session to fill back to full. There are bigger twin cylinder tuxing compressor that can run for like an hour before you need to let it rest. Those runs about $800-900.

May I ask you a little clarification? I'm from Europe and we talk about litres when we talk about tanks. So, are you talking about a big 97 cu feet tank, that would be a 9 litre tank, or a 60 minute tank (as by the firemen)? If so, I wouldn't advise you to take the small yong heng. It's not build for that size of tanks. It will fill them if you don't let it work too long in one go and if you cool it well and maintain it when necessary but it will eventually fail. And the delay may vary quite a bit! I installed a few of them, as well as its "Tuxing equivalent" and they all ended badly.

If the real thing (the Alkin is an excellent option indeed, or a Bauer or a Nardi Atlantic, or even a Coltri may be cheaper alternatives, although not sure in the us) is not in the budget (we're talking roughly between 2400-3500, depending on model and options), I would suggest to take at least a two stage tuxing compressor. Slightly more expensive (+/- 400) than the mono cylinder yong heng but also more comfortable with greater tanks. I would still suggest to fill up the tank as often as possible rather than wait until it's very low in pressure.
Almost 4 years of filling a 60 min scba, you don't need a 2k compressor to fill these tanks.

Yong Heng has no problems filling tanks. If you use HP compressor grade oil, large water reservoir (adding ice helps) & fans blowing front & back they are little work horses. Not really as complicated/troublesome as it sounds. If you're patient & gentle with it they do a great job. There are good posts on here regarding all the RIGHT things to do with it.

Yong Heng has no problems filling tanks. If you use HP compressor grade oil, large water reservoir (adding ice helps) & fans blowing front & back they are little work horses. Not really as complicated/troublesome as it sounds. If you're patient & gentle with it they do a great job. There are good posts on here regarding all the RIGHT things to do with it.
The Yong Heng Hot Rod Shop has some tips for keeping them cool.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
@eglassy An Alkin W31 Mariner is a top tier compressor. But you’re looking at upwards of $3000. On the budget friendly side a Yong Heng compressor is around $300 (I think), but it requires modifications and a lot more attention.

This is a rather common question. If you search the compressor forums you’ll find plenty of good compressor information on AGN. Oh and by the way, welcome to Airgun Nation. Here are a few links to threads to help get you better acquainted with the information you seek. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/compressor.1267803/

I have one of these, and I fill up my 2 4500spi SCBA tanks every few months. Works great!

Hey Guys!

New to airguns and the forum. I purchased a 97 cu tank 4500 psi and was wondering what would be a good compressor to fill it with at home. The closest dive shop is 45 minutes from me and I don’t want to run up there all the time if there is a nice option for home filling.

Thanks!
Get more tanks? Of course then there is a rapid assent to spending thousands on tanks or thousands on a compressor. I'm lucky that I've got a dive shop 15 min away from me with a nice new 6500psi we complain about $3 or 4K between the compressor and wiring and plumbing he's got $55k in his.

Dive shops here are reluctant to fill 300 bar bottles, and they are also just filling to 250 or so,,,, NOT 300 Bar for sure.

Joe B are pushing the new V2 Alpha carette compressor, it is "just" 2 K USD.

Shooting .177 so generally down to 100 Bar, i have a month of shooting in a 12 L 300 Bar bottle, though it is rare i get close to 100 Bar. ( i shoot at a bench tethered to the 12 L bottle as i cant be bothered with filling the gun now and then, even if my gun have a very reasonable shot count.
That mean many 1000 of shots in the little .177 caliber during a month, the bigger guns of course eat a bit more air, though it is my understanding that a regular .22 will do fine too if you are not pushing really heavy stuff really fast.

As mentioned here getting the big tank filled 1 time at the shop, and then only top it up after each session, that should be doable with one of the smaller compressors, it was also a avenue i entertained, but i am stupid and well known for overkill so i am going for a Italian Coltri compressor brand new from the factory.

The smaller compressors are really made for filling the small tanks on the rifles, but you could shoot 10 of those tanks off the big bottle in a shooting session, and then top those up afterwards, but you might need a break or two along the way wit the small compressor.

I would advise you shop locally instead of saving a few bucks getting it from overseas, then you at least have some degree of support under American consumer law ( i assume as a Dane )

With a big expensive compressor, you could make money filling other peoples tanks, i get my bottle filled by another local shooter with his own Bauer compressor, i pay him 13 USD for every refill ( about 100 to 300 BAR ) it take 20 minutes or so where we talk airguns and shooting and fix the worlds problems as we are so danm smart and have the right solution for every problem in the world.

Of course the compressor eat some power so every fill are not 13 USD in the pocket.

Last edited:
Almost 4 years of filling a 60 min scba, you don't need a 2k compressor to fill these tanks.
Didn't say you needed a 2k compressor to top up your tanks! I suggested that you were better off with a 2 cylinder model that is barely more expensive than the young heng. Now, I haven't seen a young heng mono cylinder compressor (or any equivalent) yet that has been filling 60 min tanks regularly for 4 years without at least partial rebuilds on the way. If you're lucky enough to have one, I'm really happy for you. My experience has been very different with anything between a couple of months usage to up to one full year without any failure, depending on usage and mainly luck. Those little things are very handy but they are not all built equal... Some really seem to have been made on a friday evening ;-)

Now, when something goes wrong, spare parts are easily available and it's not too difficult to repair but it requires someone who is comfortable with tinkering.

I installed a couple of those for different shooters with a 30l water tank, HP compressor oil, never exceeding 20 minutes of filling, checking temperature and replacing part of the 30l with fresh water in the process as soon as it gets a little warm. They do fill tanks if you follow these guidelines but they also fail at one time or another. They are good little units and they are very helpful. But I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending these to someone without telling that person that there is a high probability that they will have to put their hands in it sooner or later.

I'm not saying you won't have to worry about the 2 cylinder model (that now starts around 400$) but this one is a little more heavy duty and designed for larger tanks.

Hey Guys!

New to airguns and the forum. I purchased a 97 cu tank 4500 psi and was wondering what would be a good compressor to fill it with at home. The closest dive shop is 45 minutes from me and I don’t want to run up there all the time if there is a nice option for home filling.

Thanks!
Look for a used rebuilt Bauer - eBay has em and

There is no such thing as inexpensive air. In point of fact, it is the most expensive part of the air gunning hobby by far. You pay for it up front or in back, but pay you will. Yes, there are folks that have had good luck with their inexpensive Chinese specials, but there are many more that have had nothing but trouble and disasters with them. Just check the archives here and see for yourself. Everybody who stays long enough in this hobby will eventually graduate into a professional compressor. It is much cheaper in the end to go there first. Then there is the bottle issue. Personally, I use 3, 12 liter bottles one of which is CF. I also use a Bauer 4 cylinder compressor. It will happily fill a dead empty 12 liter bottle to 240 Bar in 40 minutes and top up the same bottle from 190 Bar to 240 bar in 8 minutes. I can shoot every day about 40 pellets in my PP700SA pistol for about a month on one bottle charge or shoot all day long my FX Crown on one 12 liter bottle. Lastly, it is not necessary to use 300 Bar pressure, it stresses everything and the advantage of extra shot count is insignificant in my opinion, especially when a gun charge only takes a few seconds from a bottle.

Reactions: Harv24
There is no such thing as inexpensive air. In point of fact, it is the most expensive part of the air gunning hobby by far. You pay for it up front or in back, but pay you will. Yes, there are folks that have had good luck with their inexpensive Chinese specials, but there are many more that have had nothing but trouble and disasters with them. Just check the archives here and see for yourself. Everybody who stays long enough in this hobby will eventually graduate into a professional compressor. It is much cheaper in the end to go there first. Then there is the bottle issue. Personally, I use 3, 12 liter bottles one of which is CF. I also use a Bauer 4 cylinder compressor. It will happily fill a dead empty 12 liter bottle to 240 Bar in 40 minutes and top up the same bottle from 190 Bar to 240 bar in 8 minutes. I can shoot every day about 40 pellets in my PP700SA pistol for about a month on one bottle charge or shoot all day long my FX Crown on one 12 liter bottle. Lastly, it is not necessary to use 300 Bar pressure, it stresses everything and the advantage of extra shot count is insignificant in my opinion, especially when a gun charge only takes a few seconds from a bottle.

Agree with everything you said. I've been saving for a Bauer the last year while I get my 74CF tank topped off at a local dive shop.
This gen 2 Alpha carette has piqued my interest, but I would like to see some time elapse and some independent 3rd party reviews on it.

If you shop around on eBay, other used equipment suppliers and scrap yards, you will find professional compressors for sale. These professional compressors are very well supported for spare parts, even when they are very old. Regardless of condition, they are repairable. My Bauer I found as just a pump laying in a junk yard in the mud. I then designed and built my own controls. It is not rocket science, however be aware professional HPA parts like switches and valves are not inexpensive.

@Souhaib Seriously? That’s impressive. What’s maintenance been like to keep it going like that? How long do you usually run it straight while filling tanks?
Hi I have the omega I run it for like 20 mints per 30 mins some time
But when you have a compressor you want go to much low in tank as you can fill it each time after shooting also I do all the maintanance and I have spare parts for it
Any help regarding it let me know no worries

Last edited: