• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scoping the HW97K for hunter field target ...

I've been reading here, watching Cyclops Youtubes, soaking up buzz with the thought of trying hunter field target piston class. Krale just shipped the HW97K (in .177, 20 foot-pounds) and I am casting about for an airgun-rated scope, probably 6-24, parallax to 10 yards and under $400 -- the further under the better.
If anyone can recommend a scope of this description or close to it for HFT piston, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

The 97K you ordered isn't 20fpe. The max I've seen them get to is about 18fpe in .22 or .25 cal. Realistically yours will be somewhere around 14-15fpe with JSB 8.44s (which is what Krale advertises them as). Maybe you saw Joules and mistook it for FPE?

As far as Hunter Class FT scopes go I use a Sidewinder 30 4-16x50 and its been pretty great on that gun.

Reactions: Nico5999
When I look at Google maps it shows you can get to Boerne in about 3-1/2 hrs. You can also get to Arlington Sportsman's Club in under 3 hrs. Looks like you've got two good places to shoot. I started shooting HFT last year and you'll be hard pressed to find a more friendly and welcoming group of folks. We all embarrass ourselves so don't worry about that. Come on out, you'll have a blast.
Forgot to mention that there are several guys that shoot springers at Arlington.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billinoregon
The Athlon and Arken are intriguing. I don't know of any local club. Was thinking of showing up cold at a match scheduled for April 15 in Boerne, TX, to embarrass myself before strangers. 😄
Do it. You will not embarrass yourself I promise. My first match was the same way. I found one listed on here and just went. When I got there I explained that I had no idea what I was doing and the match director paired me with someone who could show me the ropes. I did not do great but had an awesome time regardless.

After agonizing over scope choices, reading reviews, forums, etc., I am leaning toward the affordable and utilitarian, plain-Jane UTG SWAT 4-16 (PY-A-5191 at Pyramyd) and the 80mm "Big Wheel" for parallax. It is nothing special, but tried and true, built to handle springer recoil and comes in just under 22 ounces. I figure if I want to upgrade later, this will always be a useful airgun scope to have on hand, and I could swap it over to the Airacuda .25 .
I was also considering the Athlon Talos 6-24, but it has less eye relief and there are just enough reports of this scope failing on springers that it made me leery.