Scopes on SSP 10M Rifles

I unexpectedly ended up with a FWB 300S and a Beeman 400 [Diana 75]. I am an old duffer and put scopes on each. They shoot better than me from a rest. Then a FWB 602 came to me. It is more difficult to scope because of the loading gate so I left it stock. I have been shooting a lot of 10M pistol indoors lately and broke out the 602. It turns out I can shoot those diopters just fine off hand and it is a hoot. So I tried shooting the scoped rifles off hand. Man, it was terrible. I guess the SWFA and Hawke scopes with rings and mount were too much for me. So I took the scope off the Beeman, put the diopter back on, and shoot it off hand very well.

I get the need for optics as we age, but is anyone shooting a scoped 10M rifle offhand and have folks removed scopes to go back to the stock set ups?

Mike

Nope once I out scopes on my 10 meter guns they never go back to peep sights ever. Have to get creative with the ring mount positions and adapters. If it's too heavy use a Leupold 3-9x efr or old Beeman Hakko scopes.

I don't shoot 10 meter competition at all but areally appreciate how accurate these guns are at long distances so the factory peep sights are of really no use to me.

I have a 300s that I have shot both with the stock sights and scoped. I think you can train yourself to do well offhand with either setup. I am in the camp that believes that too much magnification can can cause problems and use 6X on a scope when shooting offhand. The scope does add weight, which could be seen as either an advantage or disadvantage. Currently I am using the aperture sights and scoring at 10 meters as well as I ever did with the scope. And I for one do appreciate the lighter rifle. The only real disadvantage of not having a scope on the rifle is that a separate spotting scope or binoculars are needed to spot your shots.

I keep the original aperture sights on my match rifles. That may be changing as I age and my eyes go to pot (!), but my issue with scopes is that they add significant weight and bulk to what are already pretty chunky rifles, and shift the balance point rearward. 

Using some of the nifty accessories that you can get for these sights (adjustable apertures, colored filters, polarizers, magnifying lens) will admittedly not replace a scope, but are a BIG upgrade from the OEM eye disks.

MDriskill, I am agreed about the the weight and bulk of scopes. I have requested different front inserts for a FWB 602 and will try different ones with Beeman 400. Neither have adjustable apertures, but i will check out colored filters, polarizers, and magnifying lens. Don't get me wrong - I love shooting these beautiful rifles from a bench, but they are much harder to shoot off hand, for me, with glass. Odoyle may be correct about getting a lighter scope. 

Mike

The adjustable aperture is the main thing, the filters, polarizer, and lens being modules that "stack" onto it. The three main manufacturers are Gehmann, Centra, and AHG Anschutz; lots of fun to peruse their web sites. These gadgets are hugely popular in Germany and you'll never see a serious match shooter without one of these iris-type eyepieces. Here's Gehmann's iris page FWIW:

https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?kategorie=20

Again, not a scope substitute, but WAY in advance of a typical OEM eyepiece with its tiny aperture opening!

I've often wished there were a modern equivalent of the old Beeman "SS" small scopes, made by Hakko. They were probably overpriced in terms of their optical capabilities, but if you think of them as the ultimate peep sight maybe they make more sense, LOL! Would look good and handle well on a match rifle anyhow...

One more note - the magnifying lens option is really more about vision correction, than making a bigger image per se. They magnify at only 1.5X but have a huge focus range to work with most eyeballs. Using one of these I can shoot without my glasses (then I put the gun down and walk into the nearest door frame, LOL). In Europe these are "legal" in some competitions for older shooters, but of course not allowed in top-rank 10-meter work.

Gehmann has recently introduced non-magnifying, adjustable-focus lenses (which presumably ARE competition-legal?), and even makes a (rather fantastically pricey) unit that corrects both focus and astigmatism without magnification.

The colored filters are fun to play with, and can be helpful to improve clarity and contrast in some lighting conditions. The polarizer is like adjustable sunglasses, and really intended to control "heat shimmer" in long-distance shooting. IMHO only marginally useful for close-range airgunning (the colored filters usually include two shades of gray that do basically the same job), but again can be entertaining!

On the FWB300S Running Target rifles there is no open sight option or grooves so they have to be scoped. 

B Nickel true Running target scope shown to put gun in its intended configuration, 

228 Running Boar.1600735273.JPG

I use a compact Leapers 4-16 when I actually shoot it.

228 Beeman FWB300S Running Boar v4 .177.1600735293.JPG

clears the loading port by miles, the same company's Bug Buster would be even smaller and lighter. Hawke is now making an AirMax compact as another consideration.

223 Feinwerkbau 300S Running Boar v1 .177.1600735376.JPG

I am in both camps on scope vs. no scope on 10m guns and am fortunate to own several so I can have it both ways.

When I shoot 10m it's at home and just for fun and usually always with OEM sights. BUT, when things start going awry on target, switching to a scope can help you see what you're doing wrong.

Also, most 10m guns have great triggers and mild firing characteristics making them great all around guns easily capable of sniping targets out to 75 yards and for that you need a scope.