• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scopes & More Scopes

What scope do ya get. There’s Hawke, Aztec, Vortex,Discovery, Athlon “etc”these are some of the names that I hear in the air gun world. When I was shooting powder burner bench and F- class there I used March and Night Force but I owned a scope that I bought years ago and the man who designed it was from my home state. This is the scope I went to when I was shooting bench and needed a winner. It wasn’t tactical cool looking,hell it wasn’t even some big 55mm light gathering monster and it was fixed power. In fact I don’t know why there so many variable power scope, I mean 4 -24 X 50 who uses the 4 power. What’s the scope I’m talking about?The Weaver T36 and the 36 stands for fixed power. Look at some of the first EBR contests and you’ll see them. Why did I write this little daddy because I recently got an FX Wildcat Compact super nice and I bought one of those scopes that I mentioned at the beginning and honestly I wasn’t impressed. So today before I went to the range I took that tactically cool scope off reached into my safe and grabbed that old Weaver slapped it on with some quick release rings and headed to the range. 25 yard target was used 3 rounds and the old weaver was knocking out the X ring. Regular New Mexico day what we call a light breeze 10 to 15 mph pushed the target back to 50 yds still in the X ring 75 yds repeat. Drove home with a smile on my face. Some when ya ask what kind of scope should I buy for my new rifle think about this little story.

You already answered the question I believe. Buy what you are most comfortable with and works for you. I use some 4 power Leapers scopes mainly because they are cheap. I also usually set my variable power scopes to 10X and leave them there. The main thing for airguns is a parallax setting that gets you in close enough for airgun shooting distances. On the low end I also like the BugBuster series from Leapers / UTG with a 3 yard lower parallax setting (yes I have been known to target "Bugs" with it. The Aztec is a nice scope as well as the Hawks. I have no experience with the others you mentioned.

Yep buy what fits you, what works for one person might not work for another or you could end up with a Pile of scopes and rings like this, most are nice few are junk but they sit in a box in my back room.

1538192822_16811402835baef5b640a444.95332224_9E91913F-F071-4B48-9260-2FD9E51EF240.jpeg

Yep buy what fits you, what works for one person might not work for another or you could end up with a Pile of scopes and rings like this, most are nice few are junk but they sit in a box in my back room.

1538192822_16811402835baef5b640a444.95332224_9E91913F-F071-4B48-9260-2FD9E51EF240.jpeg

Okay I'm officially feeling better about the collection of rings Ive started...hopefully I'll avoid a collection of scopes that reside in the back room...nah, who am I kidding? its probably going to happen...

Hahaha if you notice the scopes all have rings on them except two of them. It’s all part of the addiction that no one speaks of.

I like the Aztec Emerald 5.5, have two of them on my RAWs, Two Hawke Vantage’s 1 on my Texan 45 and one on my Hatsan Bully then I have a Tac Marksman ffp on my Wildcat and a Hiram ffp on my Texan .357. I have one of those Discovery scopes on the way but don’t know what I’m going to do with it yet.......See its a addiction just as much as it is a Hobby/Sport. We won’t talk about my PB’s it’s worse hahaha.

Wish I had 4 more Aztecs, I’d put them on all my airguns being that scope works real well for me.

Dustman........."Buy Once.......Cry Once".........get the best you can afford and don't look back. 

One of the rules i heard is, as much as you spent on the rifle is as much as you should spend on the scope, but another affordable rule is.....buy a scope that cost half as much as the gun. 

My Favorite scopes thus far......Athlon Helos and Midas, MTC Viper, Aztec Emerald, SWFA and Bushnell are real good. Hawke Sidewinder in SR Pro Reticle ( I Love this Reticle ) hope this helps 

Mark