• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scopes and power used for the distance you are shooting.

Me,= rifle no more than 7x at 20yds rested or free hand.50yds I use 12x to 16x .100 yds. use 16x or 20x.

I have found out that "cheaper" scopes are not competent enough at higher power,but are alright for under 8x.

Sometimes I think I need more power at longer ranges,I do not mind having a fixed power scope;What power do you use for 100yds?

I am rambling....anyhow what are your thoughts?

For close to 25 years, I've been shooting air rifles and rimfire rifles.. 
Most of the time, I shot 25-100 yards, so I'd usually go with a variable magnification scope up to 18x 
Other times, I enjoy shooting 100 yards +/-, so a higher power magnification is a plus..

Last year, I found out about Discovery Optics, and really liked the 6-24x50 VT-T series FFP scopes they offered.. 
I grabbed one and gave it a whirl..

I would be 'mostly' shooting indoors, and my indoor range is only 10 meters.. 
So I needed something that would focus down to that short range, but still magnify enough for long-distance shooting.. 
It worked Perfectly! So perfectly that I started getting rid of the handful of Nikon 4-12 scopes that I had, 
and I got another Disco 6-24x.

If I can use them flawlessly at 10m and also all the way out to 100+ yards, it's a win win.

🙂👍 

Sam -

PS: "Rambling" - You haven't seen rambling until you've read most of MY posts. 🤣

PSS: Magnification - 10m I've used 8x to 24x depending on the target size.. 
With photography and shooting - I'm a self-proclaimed "Zoom Freak", so any distances farther than 10m, 
I would most likely use 12+ up to 24x the majority of the time.
[I like to see what I'm aiming at just like it is positioned right in front or me]

I lean toward not adjusting my scope (other than focusing at whatever distance). Call it holdover/under or whatever. Once I find the distance the gun is suited for, I find the magnification that works best for me (will be diff for others). Then learn hold over/under for diff ranges. I fell in love with the Aztec scope when they first came out and stumbled upon a deal so I have several. 4 or 4 different guns but all at 20x. (I have a 5th but it isn't cooperating)… (not promoting Aztec scopes, there are better but I bought a bunch when I fell in love with the first one)

I can pick up any with a quick ref to my range cards and can (theoretically) hit a target from 10-75 yds (wind depending...) I hardly ever, maybe never, adjust the scope power. So basically, if there were more fixed power scope options.... I'd be a buyer!

I use scopes from 1x to 25x ,

Target shooting , I use 10x to 25x

Hunting I use 1x to 10x out to 1000m if I had to pick 1 fixed power it would be 6x

I like ffp 34mm tubes for hunting as I dial and or hold or both , and FOV is important to me 

I mean at super long range hi power is nice , providing you own glass that is not magnifying distortion , I found very few scopes which can really utilize hi magnification well and not have issues .

LOU

Am currently using a fixed 10X SWFA scope on my .25 HM 1000X using 34 gr. JSB pellets and it works just fine/ Over the last few years, I have switched to fixed power scopes for most shooting (except for Ft or BR competition). Use the same model scope for my JW-80 and find that the 10x magnification, clarity and excellent reticle in these optics work well is almost any application. My classic Theobens wear old fixed mag (7.5x and 8x) Leupold AO scopes and are perfect for hunting, plinking , and, target shooting. These simple, bright, sturdy and reliable scopes are light weight and intuitive making snap shots quite easy. No more 2 lb "Tactical" scopes for me. Sometimes simple is better.

Hi power scopes give you some where to go......

My AEON 10-40 is set to 32.5, which means the reticle spacing is correct at 100 yards. Same calibration** process for my Sightron III

After setting it to what ever it needs to be to make that calibraion, I lock the power knob so it cant be adjusted easily

Regardless, good glass is needed.......

** "calibration" may be the wrong word.... dunno what else to call it