• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Resources Scopes and Flags

50X Sightrons for sale and there is a target dot for the same price - look around. D/11/15/23.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/20502

Good discussion re flags. "...may surprise some shooters who don’t use windflags: 'Many people say the wind doesn’t matter. Well it sure does — whether for an airgun at 25 meters or a long range centerfire at 1,000.' "
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2023/11/the-whims-of-the-wind-slow-motion-windflag-video/
Thanks for the advice Lou.

Reactions: piffy and Loufish
Hey @DocRimfire , I own 4 flags and have used all 4 of them but I've found that its just too much information for my pea sized brain to process in the heat of the moment. The first one or two flags, IMO, are the most important information [for me] to calculate. The projectile is apt to be blown off course by the first few yards then it is at the last few yards. If both of my flags are in the same direction and both have the same angle on the tail then I send it. Otherwise I wait ... and patience is the most difficult part of shooting for me to learn. Especially knowing in the back of my mind the clocks still ticks. Those two near flags [usually] give me the amount of hold off I need.

Hey @DocRimfire , I own 4 flags and have used all 4 of them but I've found that its just too much information for my pea sized brain to process in the heat of the moment. The first one or two flags, IMO, are the most important information [for me] to calculate. The projectile is apt to be blown off course by the first few yards then it is at the last few yards. If both of my flags are in the same direction and both have the same angle on the tail then I send it. Otherwise I wait ... and patience is the most difficult part of shooting for me to learn. Especially knowing in the back of my mind the clocks still ticks. Those two near flags [usually] give me the amount of hold off I need.
ok i wonder if that transfers to 22 benchrest. It seems counterintuitive, I would think that, the first few feet would be the least drift seeing as how that is when the bullet/pellet has the highest velocity. And that it would drift more as it got closer to the target. Thats why i havent bought a wind meter I figured the information at the bench wasnt very useful. Thanks for the insight plese PM me if you have a chance I have a question for you.

Hi @DocRimfire , I shoot .22LR ARA matches and what I learn about the wind shooting pellets certainly carry’s over to rimfire as well although to a lesser extent.

Let’s say the wind is at full value or 90* right to left and it moves the projectile off course 1/4” at 5 yards. The projectile is going to continue that offline course and move further and further to the left as it reaches the target. If you are watching a flag that is 5 yards from your target that gives you far less information than the closest flag. IMHO the 1st flag gives you the most information of however many other flags you stage along the projectiles flight path.

The best advice I ever received was to never shoot from the bench without wind flags. Be a student of the wind and keep a range journal if you want to improve your shooting skills. Yes equipment and technique are also I’m portent but the guy who can read the wind is always going to score higher than the guy who just leads lead fly and hopes to hit the target.

Sending a PM your way now…

Hi @DocRimfire , I shoot .22LR ARA matches and what I learn about the wind shooting pellets certainly carry’s over to rimfire as well although to a lesser extent.

Let’s say the wind is at full value or 90* right to left and it moves the projectile off course 1/4” at 5 yards. The projectile is going to continue that offline course and move further and further to the left as it reaches the target. If you are watching a flag that is 5 yards from your target that gives you far less information than the closest flag. IMHO the 1st flag gives you the most information of however many other flags you stage along the projectiles flight path.

The best advice I ever received was to never shoot from the bench without wind flags. Be a student of the wind and keep a range journal if you want to improve your shooting skills. Yes equipment and technique are also I’m portent but the guy who can read the wind is always going to score higher than the guy who just leads lead fly and hopes to hit the target.

Sending a PM your way

Yes wimd reading is a skill I'm still working on. Next range session I will make notes on both and see how they work out for me. I always keep a journal so more dope is always good

Reactions: igolfat8
ok i wonder if that transfers to 22 benchrest. It seems counterintuitive, I would think that, the first few feet would be the least drift seeing as how that is when the bullet/pellet has the highest velocity. And that it would drift more as it got closer to the target. Thats why i havent bought a wind meter I figured the information at the bench wasnt very useful. Thanks for the insight plese PM me if you have a chance I have a question for you.
Once the pellet steers in a given direction it will not deviate from that unless there is a really really strong gust that hits it. Now once it starts to steer depending on what happens the rest of distance, the amount it will steer will be affected. But, that close to the bench flag is very important, some feel the most important flag. In real life you will often / hopefully figure out what flag or flags are telling you "the truth". Pellet gun, rimfire, centerfire, short range, long range doesn't matter. He who reads the conditions will usually win. Let's say you test pellets but use no flags. Catch a reverse in condition, no matter how light the wind is, say 2 mph and you just invalidated your testing.

Once the pellet steers in a given direction it will not deviate from that unless there is a really really strong gust that hits it. Now once it starts to steer depending on what happens the rest of distance, the amount it will steer will be affected. But, that close to the bench flag is very important, some feel the most important flag. In real life you will often / hopefully figure out what flag or flags are telling you "the truth". Pellet gun, rimfire, centerfire, short range, long range doesn't matter. He who reads the conditions will usually win. Let's say you test pellets but use no flags. Catch a reverse in condition, no matter how light the wind is, say 2 mph and you just invalidated your testing.
Thank you for that information, i will use them when I am back at the range. So based on this theory are bench windmeters useful. I figured they wouldnt be because the wind at the bench is partially obscured

Last edited:
@DocRimfire Well ......... that depends if your bench is in the open air or if its under an awning or in an enclosed or partially enclosed building. All these factors influence air flow and turbulence. I have a wind meter but seldom use it. Watch the angle of your wind flag's tail(s) and that will tell you more about wind velocity in real time than looking at a meter that may or may not be actually measuring what your projectile is being influenced by. Sure you can stand beside your wind flag, meter in hand and measure the wind velocity, then see how that corresponds to the angle of the flag, then get your chart and calculator out and calculate how much a 4.7 MPH wind is going to push your pellet and by that time the wind has changed speed and directions several times. The wind is rarely constant in speed or direction, at least around here.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I have the privilege of shooting often (nearly twice monthly) with a 6400 National Champion. The 6400 is shot prone and his first wind indicator is a spinner set to start spinning at 3mph, is set muzzle high and less than a meter beyond the muzzle. In 6400 the wind indicators are a set number and type out to 100 yards and the most important one is his spinner.

I shoot .177 12 fpe and my mentor (who built my indicators) has me set 4 at equal distances out to 25 meters with a strip of VCR video tape on the target stand.

This past year, has been dedicated to "sending it with the same set and shade" and my log book makes it clear that the closest indicator rules.

I shot bench 3 times a week and on gusty days it took 2 to 3 hours to shoot one card when my POA for a chosen wind set had to be a 1/4 inch or more (shade) off my POI.

Last edited:
So i have heard many times how the guy /gal who can read the wind wins. This seems a lot more intricate than I had originally recognized. Ironically the range where I shoot is notorious for its wind gusts, guys from other clubs done even like coming to our range to shoot matches because it brings down their aggregate scores, or so Ive been told.
@Troy Bakel i like the spinner idea at the bench. This is why i frequent so many different forums, any opportunity to learn something new is amazing.

The game of benchrest at the higher levels all comes down to one factor...reading the wind.

At lower levels good wind readers can win with mediocre equipment and poor wind readers can win with great equipment. At the higher levels everyone will have good equipment and the person that can do the best job of reading the wind will win.

Mike

The game of benchrest at the higher levels all comes down to one factor...reading the wind.

At lower levels good wind readers can win with mediocre equipment and poor wind readers can win with great equipment. At the higher levels everyone will have good equipment and the person that can do the best job of reading the wind will win.

Mike
Challenge accepted 😎