• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope vs Red Dot

I also like the red/green dot sights.

I have both scopes and red/green dot sighting instruments. Either work fine, I just prefer the simplicity of the red/green dot sight. No extra lines, no circles, no numbers, etc., to fiddle with.

I say both red AND green dot, because in lower light, the green seems to work better for me. Even on low power, the red can be bright, while the green is more subtle. I also like the smaller 1 and 2 MOA sized dots. It doesn't "over" cover the target. Especially if the target dot is small.

Out of all of the different brands that I have, the Holosun (various) and Trijicon (MRO) are the best at what they do for me.

Note, many can be bought much cheaper. But the way a cheap sight works vs the higher priced sights is a world apart. Plus, the cheaper sights have little to no guarantee, while the better sights have excellent guarantees.

Think about it...buying a $1500+ gun ad putting a $20 sight on it, makes NO sense to me.

Mike

It really depends on how well you can hold the gun steady. If you cannot, a scope reticule will be jumping all across the target if 2x or 3 x power, making alignment on target a tricky proposition. If you can hold the gun steady, the additional magnification can really focus the precision...

However, if you wear glasses red dots are probably out as they blur the dot....

There is something i have been trying to do for a while, but are getting nowhere as a loan voice. I really think there is huge market potential for 2x 20 reticule putting into the same size tube as say a Aimpoint red dot, with an integral one piece mount, instead of having to worry about the extra weight and mount positions of 2 roll off mounts..Also there are precious few scopes around ....Im sure it would have a huge take up if any manufacturer was looking in....er hello....its boom time for handguns but hardly any good pistol scopes available..

IMO, a dot is for close, relatively large, targets. By 'relatively large' I mean much bigger than the dot. So, a smaller dot is better for small targets, but starts to lose the advantage of a dot (rapid acquisition). Your targets may be larger (bigger and/or closer) than mine, so I can't really tell you what's best, but at 20m a typical 4MOA dot will blot out a ground squirrel, making it a no-go for me. A 1MOA dot might work fine, but I don't see an advantage to it unless you have one in hand, and don't have the scope.

GsT

my thought would be:shooting low power pistol I would not go over 2x with a scope.Red dot may be better at closer distance....I use 4x to 6x scope for 25 yds.You could use a good "open" sight at close distance....I know some 10 meter pistol can shoot accurate out to 25 yds,,,if your going to shoot that far I would get a good variable pistol scope...also something light and short....make sure scope does not interfere with loading.

It really depends on how well you can hold the gun steady. If you cannot, a scope reticule will be jumping all across the target if 2x or 3 x power, making alignment on target a tricky proposition. If you can hold the gun steady, the additional magnification can really focus the precision...

However, if you wear glasses red dots are probably out as they blur the dot....

There is something i have been trying to do for a while, but are getting nowhere as a loan voice. I really think there is huge market potential for 2x 20 reticule putting into the same size tube as say a Aimpoint red dot, with an integral one piece mount, instead of having to worry about the extra weight and mount positions of 2 roll off mounts..Also there are precious few scopes around ....Im sure it would have a huge take up if any manufacturer was looking in....er hello....its boom time for handguns but hardly any good pistol scopes available..

In bold/underlined above... Incorrect statement..! You need to do a little more homework before making an encompassing statement like that.

This part of the reason that I mention the "cost" of the red dot sights ! I wear bifocals. I've bought a lot of red/green dot sights to find good ones. Cheap ones ARE crap. Even some of the higher priced ones, not so good.

The better red/green dot sights DO NOT blur or have fuzzy dots. As noted, my Holosun and Trijicon dots are very crisp, sharp edges and all. The Delta Point Pro is another one that has fairly crisp dots, or "deltas" (triangle) in my case. But again, not so cheap.

Also note, that "holographic" sights and folks that wear glasses, don't do very well. I have an Eotech, holographic sight. If the dot(s) are turned up, they have pretty fuzzy edges. But if you turn the brightness down to where it's barely visible, the dot becomes pretty usable.

Nothing wrong with a quality red/green dot sights and glasses if you choose properly..!

Mike

Its a fair comment Mike....I dont wear glasses and not looked at the issue that deeply to disagree with you. I was basing my comment on club members who wear glasses, often moaning about
2422C006-9C2B-402C-A930-D9BE4B184B07.1612906926.jpeg
 them ...but I cannot get on with anything above 2 M.O.A ...dot too big. This is a good one..

I love a scope as I wear glasses and the scope works better for me (without my glasses), BUT I got a cheap ($25) SVBONY red/green for sight and I love it! It has a very small (1 MOA) dot, and 3 other designs (crosshair, circlenwith cross hair, circle with dot). This red dot is small enough for me to use well without covering too much of the target.

New member and new target shooter here. Grew up with Daisy and 760's... Now getting into others. Have a Beeman R7 on order and am shooting a Crosman 2300S now.

Background and question:The 2300S has a nice sight set up but at my age (mid-50's) I see blur. I do use reading glasses (+1.50) but no other glasses. Vision is good beyond reading. Currently shooting 10m with the pistols.

Would a reflex style 1 or 2 MOA red/green dot work for me, or, would I want to research other options?

I appreciate the input.

From what I can tell from the club group, it seems to impact the long sighted bunch. Shooters who require reading glasses do not have the have the problems.

Basically, shooters who require reading glasses, need them to focus on open sights, but then the target, or pest is out of focus. So, remove the glasses and use a sighting aid. This is fine and either sighting system will do. However the near sighted cannot see the target, so require their glasses period. So this is the group having the Dot bloom in their glasses. Some more than others. Probably best to try before you buy i guess...

Reactions: outdooorgb
As excerpted from the chapter titled Air Pistol Sights, Insights and Incites in my book Custom, Classic & Otherwise AWESOME AIR PISTOLS!

"Magnifying scopes offer great precision, but almost require a good rest and are not conducive to speed-shooting or moving targets. Generally speaking and regardless of the amount of magnification, magnifying scopes are the largest, heaviest, most cumbersome, complex, temperamental and fragile of all handgun sighting systems. And the higher the magnification, the more ‘magnified’ those weaknesses. 

Though you wouldn’t know it in today’s political climate, compromise is not a four letter word. Sometimes compromise is the best course of action, and non-magnifying red-dot sights may be the best compromise to handle the widest array of handgun applications and scenarios. In my opinion, red-dot sights are the best choice for speed-shooting, moving targets, and most offhand shooting. I feel they are also second only to magnifying scopes for long-range and/or precision shooting, and fall between iron sights and magnifying optics in size, weight, complexity, durability and dependability."