• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope vs Diopter/Irons

...you just need to be very careful when sliding the compression screw across the dovetail slot. The screw is designed to seat in the slot, the same way as the earlier type FWB diopter/same need to be careful...maybe the FWB slot is a better design that the HW "arrestor hole" that can distort if the diopter slides on the dovetail?...

Last edited:
MDriskill’s knowledge dump is a great benefit to all interested in all things diopter.
My HW30 is my primary 10m gun, at least until I work the trigger over on my 753.

I bought the Anschutz steel sight from the guy in Bulgaria and then the Gehman from Champions Choice.

My 10m range in the basement has pretty poor lighting so the adjustable iris is a wonderful thing. My 10m scores have gone up from horrible to poor!
Being able to see really helps.

If the trigger mods work out as planned on the Daisy, this setup will likely move to that gun and the HW30 will get something else. Or I will buy another rifle to be my dedicated 10m gun.

Now I will keep my eye out for a vintage HW diopter.

Thank you MDriskill!

34173A02-03C2-4FC9-BBC5-94B24BA52608.jpeg

MDriskill’s knowledge dump is a great benefit to all interested in all things diopter.
My HW30 is my primary 10m gun, at least until I work the trigger over on my 753.

I bought the Anschutz steel sight from the guy in Bulgaria and then the Gehman from Champions Choice.

My 10m range in the basement has pretty poor lighting so the adjustable iris is a wonderful thing. My 10m scores have gone up from horrible to poor!
Being able to see really helps.

If the trigger mods work out as planned on the Daisy, this setup will likely move to that gun and the HW30 will get something else. Or I will buy another rifle to be my dedicated 10m gun.

Now I will keep my eye out for a vintage HW diopter.

Thank you MDriskill!

View attachment 298087
Your sourcing sounds exactly like mine. I also got a tube that can be used as a anti glare tube or extension behind the sight body, so I could move the entire sight body forward so the clamping screws would clear my safety for better access and still keep the diopter close to my eye. I think it also came from Champions Choice. Made by Gehmann and they had two lengths.

The iron sights on my FWB Sport are really elegant but unfortunately my old eyes just don't do that well with them. So this thread really caught my attention. I thought the Williams WGRS 54 rear sight would be just the ticket keeping things on the minimalist side. After a while that sight showed up at Midway so I ordered it. It was great that the sight just slipped right onto the dovetails, no filing required. Unfortunately I was not able to get the sight to elevate high enough. Possibly barrel droop? At any rate I didn't want to give up on it so I decided to make a new topmost part for this three part rear sight. Since I was making the part I thought it would be useful to make it large enough to tap for standard European eye pieces, like the Gehmann adjustable you see in the picture. Thanks to an old post by one MDriskilll on a now archived website I found that the tap size I needed is 9.5mm x 1mm. After a fair bit of time (no one is going to pay me by the hour for my machining skills) I finally finished the part I needed today. I sighted it in and the adjustment I need is right in the middle of the elevation range. It still needs some finishing but I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it. Jay

IMG_0489.jpeg