Scope tube size, does it matter to you?

With all the different scopes out there today and endless combinations of FFP, SFP and tube sizes ranging from 40MM, 36MM, 34MM, 30MM, and 1.0". Which scope tube size do you prefer most for your air rifles?

The biggest I've had is a 34MM TRACT and as nice as it was it's too big for my taste or need. Maybe on a 1K yard PB it would be OK. But I've mainly bought 30MM and 1.0" scopes in the past,
and still have a 1.0" Sightron 4-16X42 and it's great scope. But I think I prefer the 30MM tube scopes the best, currently have two, a Athlon and a SWFA SS.

I'm thinking I'll add another 30MM scope in the near future and that should hold me for awhile.

What's your favorite scope tube size and power combination?

1 inch is good when weight matters most.
30mm is good for general purposes. 34mm is good when light transmission and a large clear field is desirable.

JMT
Tube diameter has nothing to do with light transmission etc. The bigger the tube, the more adjustments you will have for elevation and windage.

With all the different scopes out there today and endless combinations of FFP, SFP and tube sizes ranging from 40MM, 36MM, 34MM, 30MM, and 1.0". Which scope tube size do you prefer most for your air rifles?

The biggest I've had is a 34MM TRACT and as nice as it was it's too big for my taste or need. Maybe on a 1K yard PB it would be OK. But I've mainly bought 30MM and 1.0" scopes in the past,
and still have a 1.0" Sightron 4-16X42 and it's great scope. But I think I prefer the 30MM tube scopes the best, currently have two, a Athlon and a SWFA SS.

I'm thinking I'll add another 30MM scope in the near future and that should hold me for awhile.

What's your favorite scope tube size and power combination?
Unless you need a ton of elevation adjustments, stick with a 30mm. Just my 2 cents.

I've always preferred compact scopes. Therefore I prefer to go with the one inch tubes. I've had a couple of 30mm tubes and they were ok but I couldn't see the advantage in using them.
The most important thing is the quality of the scope.
I agree, I've mostly bought Japanese built scopes. But I'm more than pleased with my Chinese built Athlon Midas Tac, 6-24X50....
so far.🤞🏻

Reactions: Moog
30mm have more space inside which can permit a greater adjustment range but it's best not to assume that is always true. My Athlon Talos 6-24 has a 1 inch tube but as much adjustment for elevation and windage as my 30 mm scopes. It has pretty good glass and will focus to under 10 yards.

I've never owned a 34 mm and probably won't in the future because they are so heavy. Seems like most scopes currently have 30mm tubes. I only have one scope I paid more than $250 for but the Athlon I mention above and a Hawke Vantage 2-7 are the only ones with 1 inch tubes. My most expensive is the Arken EPL4 6-24 which has a 30 mm tube. I don't like the combination of a very fine reticle and FFP (can't see the reticle at 6X) but in most ways it is my nicest scope.

I kind of don't care what the scope tube size is. But I would rather carry scopes closer to 1 lb than 2 lbs.

34's are generally VERY beefy & weighty. While they generally will be brighter due to larger glass and more area threw tube for light transmission, the cost is WEIGHT !!!
Shown is a SCHMIDT*BENDER 5-25x56 PMII with a ARKEN 20moa one piece mount, 5" Side wheel being An absolute BEAST at 3 1/4 pounds !!!!

Clarity & Brightness ... Never used better & That attribute comes at a COST $$$$ Literally :cry:

d.jpg

Depends on the situation. In the woods I prefer a 44 to 50mm lens for gathering light. Otherwise 32mm is fine. As for magnification, I prefer 4 - 12x. Most of the time the scopes are set at 6x, unless I'm shooting past 40 yards. Tube size doesn't matter, but weight is huge factor ony hunting rifles. I also prefer SFP. SSP gets too small when set at 6x.

Reactions: bustachip
34's are generally VERY beefy & weighty. While they generally will be brighter due to larger glass and more area threw tube for light transmission, the cost is WEIGHT !!!
Shown is a SCHMIDT*BENDER 5-25x56 PMII with a ARKEN 20moa one piece mount, 5" Side wheel being An absolute BEAST at 3 1/4 pounds !!!!

Clarity & Brightness ... Never used better & That attribute comes at a COST $$$$ Literally :cry:

View attachment 425209
The 34MM I had weighed 41.5oz just the scope, so it wouldn't take much to push it over 3lbs.