Scope torque values?

Have a Benjamin Prowler and a Gamo Shadow Maxxim with bipod, both springers. What are you guys torquing your Springer scopes to?
I know the springers have hellacious recoil, so I figure it would be tighter than say a PCP or CO2.
Right now I am tightening them down snug, then a half turn on each , tight, but not stupid tight. This seems to work fine, but my OCD won't allow that 🤣I want the peace of mind knowing it's where it should be . Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you.

P.S. off topic, but check out my new sig CO2 !

received_2139059216296577.jpeg

Reactions: pdxFrank
If you have a true picatinny rail, some scope rings have manufacturer specs of 60 to 65 inch pounds on the cross bolts which should help keep the rings from moving forward on a springer. Don't use that torque on a thin weaver / airgun dovetail hybrid base or you might smash it. The wider the ring is from front to back and the beefier the cross bolt / recoil lugs are the better. On my Diana 54 I installed a correct spec picatinny riser with a recoil stop on it that stopped the scope ring movement on the rail.

On the rings, I learned something years ago from Jeff Huber - the guy who put Nightforce optics on the map - if you don't have an inch pound torque wrench available then only tighten by holding the short bend end of the Allen / Torx key. Stop when it starts to hurt. For someone with average to above average finger strength you cannot apply much more 20 inch pounds to the screws with just your thumb and finger on that part of the tool without discomfort. If you put the short end in the screw head and push on the long side you can get well over enough torque to damage the scope and / or snap off the screw head.

If the scope still slips at max factory spec on the ring tops, try a six screw top ring and / or put some powdered rosin on the ring to scope mating surfaces. That will usually stop it at factory spec. If not, then try what is sometimes used on lightweight 50 BMG rifles - put a thin layer of GMS (General Motors Sealant) or brush on electricians sealant on the inside of the rings. I have never needed the sealant so I cannot tell you how difficult it might be to remove the scope from the rings.

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
15 - 16 inch pounds is the max. Always tighten scope ring screws diagonally. I use a silver sharpie pen line drawn on the back scope mount base and rifle below the dovetail. That way I can see any scope creep with a quick glance.
Totally agree. I use a tiny piece of blue painters tape on the scope behind one ring and one on the receiver for a while to see any movement. Usually will move the receiver tape one time because the rings settle in and then stop. The scope should not move at all.

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
I tend to use a bit of heavy oil on the threads and toque to 15 to 20 in/lb. Never had any problems.
Toque values are dry assembly, if lube or even loctite (i think thay got a q&a thing on that) the value is lessened.. so if 18 is called for dry then 15 maybe for loctite applied or less for a lube/oil used. More or less -10%

In the end that comes down to you doing whats best for you in your own experience.😉