Scope that can see 22 caliber holes at 100 yards

For fun. I reused this smaller sour cream lid. Just gave it another quick spray painting dont take much and shot it again..

I could of maybe flatten out the old holes as well , but its just another example for in a pinch splatter yarget bull.
splatter lid1.jpg
Just ashame a .89¢ can of spray paint is now $2.89..lol

Reactions: EdinGa
While shopping for new glass for my Raw hm1000x. 30 for long range shooting I was all set to pull trigger on a sightron 10-50 x60 until I looked through my buddy's Delta stryker 5-50. The sightron go for a tad over a grand and the stryker around $1500 . Yep, you can see .22 holes @ 100 +. Stryker on the way.

View attachment 381888
Glad you liked it. I fell in love with this same Stryker last year when Rangur1 loaned me his for RMAC. Liked it so much now all three of my target guns last this same scope. My reasoning also was I wanted to be able to jump from one gun to the next, and not have to relearn a reticle every time. I use the 40 power for the shoots, and dial up to 50 as the spotting scope to log down my scores from each target shot.

Looks like Sightron SII is well under $1000 but it's a fixed 36X target scope.

Anybody try a Vector Continental? It is Vector's top scope and is supposed to have German glass with Chinese internals. The SFP 5-30 is less than $600.
I don't like the IQ in my Vector Continental 5-30. I used it for over a year in FT but it just didn't cut it. Finally I just kept it at 22x.
I like the glass better in my Helos G2 6-24.

Man the glass is great in my new Athlon Ares ETR 15-60. Even at 35x it's bright and clear.
It's equal or maybe a hair more pleasing to look through than my S&B PM2 5-25.

Splatterburst targets work very well. Way better than paper targets. I use them out to 600 yards and it is easy to see groups.
That's fine, but if you are shooting paper targets in a sanctioned match with odd lighting conditions, you may or may not see your bullet holes even with a 10-50 rifle scope.

Reactions: Moses888
Thanks for the continuing feedback guys. Still haven't ordered anything. I noticed last time at the range that my Vector Sentinel 8-32 has noticably less clear glass than even my West Hunter 4-16X and certainly worse than my Athlon Talos 6-24. With the other scopes I could sometimes see my holes but not consistently. All are priced around $200 so they're much different than what you're telling me I need to do what I'd like to do. I can see the target with the Vector well enough to aim the rifle but I can't ever see the holes. I'd noticed earlier that I can shoot just as well with the Athlon despite 8X less magnification.

I will buy something but I'm still not sure I shoot enough at 100 or more to justify the kind of scope I need to see the holes. May just have to use spatter burst to get my aim point or adjust the scope, shoot the target with my lesser scope, and then go down range to see how I did. It works but maybe I'll treat myself to something like the Athlon Ares that might be enough better glass I'd know more before going down range.

Just remember that splatterburst type targets are an all smiles thing till you shoot regular paper targets and you’ll be angry at yourself for being “fooled” into thinking you or your equipment had it all going on.

I used to use the Caldwell splatterbursts and even have a stack of 1” diameter splatter target dots, and at up to 50 yards it was all show and tell with me, about how awesomely accurate my gun and scope combo were. That is, until buddy Dave Larsen sent me some paper targets he downloaded for his bench rest practice. When I shot those, two things came to mind- I suck and I suck. All that time I thought I was the Bob Lee Swagger amongst my peers, and standard N50 benchrest Targets humbled me big time. The hole in hole groups I thought I was getting with splatterbursts were not only 3/4” away from the center bulls(and I thought all along I only hit the center bulls) but were really 3/8” to 3/4” center to center groups, sometimes more. So it was then that I named splatterburst targets “the big lie”.

I rarely use splatterburst type targets anymore except for a quick sight in to get me close, or I like to stick the 1” diameter dots over the 1/2” shaft holes on lawnmower pulleys, and see if I can blow thru the splatterburst at a 100 yards without hitting the pulley. If I see the splatterburst dot disappear and the pulley not swing, then it’s all smiles, lol

Kinda makes you wonder why most targets shown here for braggin’ rights so happen to be mostly splatterbursts, aren’t they? And also why you tube gun reviewers like to use them.

I use to shoot black targets at 100 meters quite often. Some days I couldn't reliably see 22 holes with my leupold spotting scope. But I could see 7mm holes always. So I was on a quest for a better spotting scope. Talking at the range one day about quality scopes. I was invited to a juniors high power shoot to look through different brand and quality sporting scopes. Here in Arizona when the mirage starts boiling there are times that seeing a 22 hole at 100 meters is tricky or not reliably seen even with some high dollar optics.

Just remember that splatterburst type targets are an all smiles thing till you shoot regular paper targets and you’ll be angry at yourself for being “fooled” into thinking you or your equipment had it all going on.

I used to use the Caldwell splatterbursts and even have a stack of 1” diameter splatter target dots, and at up to 50 yards it was all show and tell with me, about how awesomely accurate my gun and scope combo were. That is, until buddy Dave Larsen sent me some paper targets he downloaded for his bench rest practice. When I shot those, two things came to mind- I suck and I suck. All that time I thought I was the Bob Lee Swagger amongst my peers, and standard N50 benchrest Targets humbled me big time. The hole in hole groups I thought I was getting with splatterbursts were not only 3/4” away from the center bulls(and I thought all along I only hit the center bulls) but were really 3/8” to 3/4” center to center groups, sometimes more. So it was then that I named splatterburst targets “the big lie”.

I rarely use splatterburst type targets anymore except for a quick sight in to get me close, or I like to stick the 1” diameter dots over the 1/2” shaft holes on lawnmower pulleys, and see if I can blow thru the splatterburst at a 100 yards without hitting the pulley. If I see the splatterburst dot disappear and the pulley not swing, then it’s all smiles, lol

Kinda makes you wonder why most targets shown here for braggin’ rights so happen to be mostly splatterbursts, aren’t they? And also why you tube gun reviewers like to use them.
I think the reasoning is simple enough-immediate feedback! You are very correct about splatter burst for fine tuning your POA/POI, which requires a solid bench and a no wind day to get absolutely perfect dope…. Lest we chase the wind and the bull grows a tail 😉

Thanks guys, you are answering the question, but the input was not what I was hoping for. Looks like the Cronus is almost $1500 and would work if I shot plain white targets but I was hoping something like a Arken EP4 6-24 was good enough. A scope more like $500.
Splatter burst targets make it easy to see .22 at 100
Seriously though it is very easy to see.22 holes at 100 with my Arken epl 6x24 at $329 right now it is a steal

Reactions: HogKiller
Thanks for the continuing feedback guys. Still haven't ordered anything. I noticed last time at the range that my Vector Sentinel 8-32 has noticably less clear glass than even my West Hunter 4-16X and certainly worse than my Athlon Talos 6-24. With the other scopes I could sometimes see my holes but not consistently. All are priced around $200 so they're much different than what you're telling me I need to do what I'd like to do. I can see the target with the Vector well enough to aim the rifle but I can't ever see the holes. I'd noticed earlier that I can shoot just as well with the Athlon despite 8X less magnification.

I will buy something but I'm still not sure I shoot enough at 100 or more to justify the kind of scope I need to see the holes. May just have to use spatter burst to get my aim point or adjust the scope, shoot the target with my lesser scope, and then go down range to see how I did. It works but maybe I'll treat myself to something like the Athlon Ares that might be enough better glass I'd know more before going down range.

Reactions: 17dean
It sounds like you may need to spend a bit more to get what you need. There is a balance between resolution and magnification within a given price range. A 500 dollar 5x scope may have great glass and resolution but not enough magnification to see the holes in the paper. A 500 dollar 60x scope may not have enough resolution to see them clearly. A really good balance is in the 6-24 to 10-40 range where you currently are. Unless you are forced to use a certain target, Shoot and See type targets will be easily visible with the scopes you currently have.