• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope that can see 22 caliber holes at 100 yards

I occasionally shoot at 100 yards and none of my scopes can see the holes from 22 caliber pellets in a paper target at that distance. I have a low end Vector Sentinel 8-32 and an Athlon Talos 6-24. I should probably try the Athlon again, the last time I was doing this it was with the Vector. The Athlon is more clear than the Vector which makes up for the magnification difference at 30 yards.

I'd prefer to stay with a 6-24 since I like dialing it down to 6X for hunting. I think I will need to spend more than my normal $200 price point to get this resolution but I don't know how realistic it is to do this with a scope, even a better one. Maybe I should invest in a spotting scope.

Do you have a scope that will show you 22 holes at 100 yards? If so please comment on the make/model. If you think I should get a 60X spotting scope or something like that please also say so. Thanks.

22 holes at 100 can be hard. I have an Athlon Cronus 29X and when I hit in the black ring it is very hard to see. Especially if you are shooting in a completion and only 1 shot per bull is allowed. The wife has a golden eagle that goes to 60X and she has no problem…..If you go spotting scope, cheap will not do it for you…I have an older Alpen, and it does fine..

Tony P

It sounds like you may need to spend a bit more to get what you need. There is a balance between resolution and magnification within a given price range. A 500 dollar 5x scope may have great glass and resolution but not enough magnification to see the holes in the paper. A 500 dollar 60x scope may not have enough resolution to see them clearly. A really good balance is in the 6-24 to 10-40 range where you currently are. Unless you are forced to use a certain target, Shoot and See type targets will be easily visible with the scopes you currently have.

Reactions: Moses888 and tibor
I occasionally shoot at 100 yards and none of my scopes can see the holes from 22 caliber pellets in a paper target at that distance. I have a low end Vector Sentinel 8-32 and an Athlon Talos 6-24. I should probably try the Athlon again, the last time I was doing this it was with the Vector. The Athlon is more clear than the Vector which makes up for the magnification difference at 30 yards.

I'd prefer to stay with a 6-24 since I like dialing it down to 6X for hunting. I think I will need to spend more than my normal $200 price point to get this resolution but I don't know how realistic it is to do this with a scope, even a better one. Maybe I should invest in a spotting scope.

Do you have a scope that will show you 22 holes at 100 yards? If so please comment on the make/model. If you think I should get a 60X spotting scope or something like that please also say so. Thanks.
I can't help you at low price points. All of my PB scopes I use for hunting can resolve 22 bullet holes at 100 yards, even my 1.5x6x42's in good contrasting light, get the shadows/black of target just right and they barely fall short. Some of it does depend on your eyesight too. I bought all of my good hunting scopes in the 90's and 00's, top of the line Swarovski's, Zeiss, and one Schmidt&Bender Zenith. Most are 2.5x10's with 50 or 56mm objectives, and one 3x12. All besides the 1.5x6's can resolve 22 holes on a black target in any conditions during daylight. So yes, you need better scopes and you don't need high power to resolve 22 holes. Others should chime in on less expensive scopes that can.

While shopping for new glass for my Raw hm1000x. 30 for long range shooting I was all set to pull trigger on a sightron 10-50 x60 until I looked through my buddy's Delta stryker 5-50. The sightron go for a tad over a grand and the stryker around $1500 . Yep, you can see .22 holes @ 100 +. Stryker on the way.

Screenshot_20230819_111004_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks guys, you are answering the question, but the input was not what I was hoping for. Looks like the Cronus is almost $1500 and would work if I shot plain white targets but I was hoping something like a Arken EP4 6-24 was good enough. A scope more like $500.
used is your only chance of staying under 1k, probably not by much unless you can deal with high magnification and a not clear hole but just clear enough to see it. I have seen a few screaming deals on craigslist over the years, but I mean few, like 1 every 5 or so years.

That's one of the reasons I shoot a painted 8 inch steel plate at 100 most of the time. When I do shoot paper, I have a hard time seeing the all the holes. I don't own any high quality scopes and probably never will.
Light colored plastic lids painted black makes a " splatter" type bulls .😉

100y and .177
r9,100y, irons,cphp.,177.jpg
Lol...

If you can stretch it, eurooptic has the Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR III 3.3-18x50mm non-illuminated on sale for 899 w/free ship in both mil and moa, they are normally 1500+ street price. They sell enough they have to charge you sales tax in any state so add that. I have never looked through one, but they are a night and day difference from the XTR II which I wouldn't touch at any price, much less the original xtr(I had one and gave it to a friend for free and was glad to not have it). The third generation xtr gets good reviews in the 1,000 yard PB forums for resolution and clarity unlike the previous generations that are complete sh%t. Downside is lower mag than you are looking for, and no illumination. The main complaint people have is the crosshairs are too fine, for target shooting pcp's that is not a bad thing. If you have a checking acct. with paper checks, you can save another 5% if memory serves me right by calling them on the phone and doing an e-check with the routing number on your paper checks. I did that with my last purchase with them several years ago and with that and the discount got my trijicon thermal for thousands less than anywhere else I talked to. When you spend big dollars, always talk on the phone, ignore prices published and never click add to cart.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Looks like Sightron SII is well under $1000 but it's a fixed 36X target scope.

Anybody try a Vector Continental? It is Vector's top scope and is supposed to have German glass with Chinese internals. The SFP 5-30 is less than $600.
Jim,

A Sightron SII 36x is your answer - $450 from Scott at Liberty Optics - I just received my 2nd one from him 3 days ago.

I also have two Arken EPL-4 6x24s - just received my 2nd today. I will test at 100 yards soon. These are on sale for $330 delivered.

The Sightron 36x was DESIGNED with 50 and 100 yard .22 rimfire benchrest in mind. You can definitely see your holes. In good light you can see your pellets flight into target. Reticle is very fine crosshair with target dot. Turret adjustments are very fine 1/8 moa clicks.

PM me if you want to talk scopes.

-Ed

Reactions: tibor
You need higher power and better clarity glass.
There are brands outspoken in NorthAmerica, and there are less known or popular brands elsever.
I have tried several x40 and x50 power scopes, several Sightrons as well which is unjustified popular in NA.
I got myself a Falcon X50 the glass clarity beats the Sightrons any days and night, and for example it costs less. I am not aware of a dealer in NA, I got mine from Kraleshops.
If you want to see the .22 holes @ 100 yards/meters, and want to inspect how the projectile is chewing the paper holes edges ... you better put couple scopes for comparison side by side.
Place a business card @100 and try to read it...this how the comparison could be done if you really want to justify the money ...

I use splatter burst targets to SEE where i’m hitting at 60-100 yards

Last edited: