• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope Suggestions Entry Level & Advanced

Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking for some suggestions to get started.

Recently purchased two PCP's and am looking for suggestions for scopes for them.

The first is my entry-level Liberty in .22cal. Bought new, have not shot it yet. What would you recommend for an entry level scope for this PCP?

Found a good deal on an FX DreamPup in .25cal and purchased it for my advanced PCP. Same question here, what would you recommend for a decent scope? Mostly will be used for target shooting and possibly some hunting. This gun will get different cal barrels as I progress, the modularity and adjustability appealed to me. The scope will want to be versatile.

I do not want to "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" but also do not need the very best. Based upon forum reading I am seeing that service after the sale by Manufacturers is a key consideration.

So, please let me know what you would suggest. Not many local air gunners in my area but I do plan on visiting a club at their next shoot, several hours away.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking for some suggestions to get started.

Recently purchased two PCP's and am looking for suggestions for scopes for them.

The first is my entry-level Liberty in .22cal. Bought new, have not shot it yet. What would you recommend for an entry level scope for this PCP?

Found a good deal on an FX DreamPup in .25cal and purchased it for my advanced PCP. Same question here, what would you recommend for a decent scope? Mostly will be used for target shooting and possibly some hunting. This gun will get different cal barrels as I progress, the modularity and adjustability appealed to me. The scope will want to be versatile.

I do not want to "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" but also do not need the very best. Based upon forum reading I am seeing that service after the sale by Manufacturers is a key consideration.

So, please let me know what you would suggest. Not many local air gunners in my area but I do plan on visiting a club at their next shoot, several hours away.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have the Hawke Endurance, MTC Genesis, UTG, Aztec and Athlon Helos (6-24X50), Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27X50 and Nightforce SHV 4-14X50.

Of all these scopes, my Athlon Helos 6-24X50 is my favorite based on affordability and overall quality. The NightForce may have slightly better -- i.e. clearer -- glass however, for twice the cost of the Athlon Helos, it better.

So, Athlon Helos it is.

A scope that works for me might not work for you and vice versa, if at all possible try and find a place where you can look through several different scopes and do some reading and comparing, are you going to use it for target or plinking and hunting? Do you want SFP or FFP? Makes a difference. It also helps to know what budget you are working with so we can point ya in a direction that will be within your budget, myself I have five different scopes on 6 different airguns so it’s not really a one scope fits all situation, Aztec, Hawke, Discovery, Tac Pro, Vortex are just a few I use and they range from 100.00 dollars to 700.00 dollars, again what works for me might not work for you.

I’m sure others will chime in and let you know what they like and give you good advice. Good luck on your search and welcome to the world of scopes, it can become a headache sometimes.

Jim.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. It is a very steep learning curve and I am just starting out.

Budget wise, I can get what I want. Not looking for eye candy, just functionality. Don't want to drop $1,000 on a scope if similar options, quality can be had for say $500 or so. I get that you get what you pay for.

The applications will be mostly target(90%) and some hunting.

My approach is to understand what Y'all have on your guns and why. So let me know why you have what you do and why you like it. and how you use it.

From there I can review availability, price, service history, etc. Not many air gun places near me to try out scopes and fit so I am hoping to get some good advice from the forum.

Thank you Gentlemen

By target shooting do you mean “bench rest” or “FieLd Target” or just random paper punching in the back yard. All three would do with different scopes. 

With benchrest you would need a 24 power, FT not sure what most use but it needs an accurate side adjustable objective, for just random paper punching in the back yard it would depend on distances available. 

My RWS34 springer just killed an inexpensive Tasco 2.5x to 10x. For under $100 it is good enough for back yard paper punching, if it is on a pcp not a springer air rifle. I tend to shoot mostly set at 6x.

My RWS 48 has an UTG 4x on it, again for back yard paper punching and the occasional squirrel it is adequate and inexpensive.

I just got an Athlon Talos 4x12 side adjust objective, about $150 most places that sell it. Again I set it at 6x and will most likely leave it there. It is nice and clear, but so are the others I mentioned.

Like you, most of my shooting is 75% back yard target plinking, 25% pest control. Hawk, Athlon, MTC, UTG, Vortex, just to name a few that will have something you can use, in various price ranges and quality.

You can easily spend several thousand dollars on a scope, you just have to match scope to use, and then how serious are you going to get with what ever you are doing. If you are going to be competitive at any target sport, get the best you can afford. 

you need to mention the range of magnification you are looking at and with PCP you can use any scope you what

a Bushnell Trophy might work as well as something else

if you have the funds Burris makes fine glass but scopes are like a field of Daisies which one should I pick, 100 people will tell you 75 different things

it is your scope to buy and the homework you do will be the key

also Natchez Shooting has a great site to look on and sometimes there prices will be best and you are right after purchase service is important

good luck

mike

I’m a huge fan of the Sightron S Tac line of scopes and the Vortex PST GenII line. Both focus down close enough for Airgun works. They have great glass, good, useable reticles and great support from the mfg. I’ve stayed clear of the newer bushnell stuff after a recent bad experience. I haven’t owned a Hawks scope in a few years but from what I understand, their higher end stuff is very nice.

i generally opt for the mid / high end scopes on my PCP rifles ($500-$900) range. Sometimes I have to save for a few months but having a good, reliable scope is worth it. Nothing more frustrating than looking through hazy glass or having something that won’t hold zero.

I’m a huge fan of the Sightron S Tac line of scopes and the Vortex PST GenII line. Both focus down close enough for Airgun works. They have great glass, good, useable reticles and great support from the mfg. I’ve stayed clear of the newer bushnell stuff after a recent bad experience. I haven’t owned a Hawks scope in a few years but from what I understand, their higher end stuff is very nice.

i generally opt for the mid / high end scopes on my PCP rifles ($500-$900) range. Sometimes I have to save for a few months but having a good, reliable scope is worth it. Nothing more frustrating than looking through hazy glass or having something that won’t hold zero.

We have a Vortex plant near us. I will drill down on the PST Gen II line. I have no problem with that budget for the DreamPup.

Don't think the Liberty can justify that quality of scope. For sure the scope would be better than the gun.

As you said manufacurer back up is important. I have had excellent attention and service from Hawke. I usually leave it on about 8X. Be sure to look through the scope and check out the reticle. I had an Athalon Argos but it was useless to me. My eyes could not find the cross hairs in a busy dark brushy background. Too many little mil dots for windage compensation. I punch paper, hit steel targets, and pest for dairy farms and use different magnifications for different circumstances. Rarely is it at it's max power. 14X is enough for what I do.

I've been having real luck with UTG scopes. Mostly the Compact series. I have gotten a couple of Bug Busters. And one full size one, on my RWS 34, which is a tack driver, albeit heavy. 

I've found that if the rifle is inherently accurate, the Compacts work well. For my uses, I don't need anything better, although there are some folks who don't care for them, and they are pretty coyote guys.

I mostly buy them off Amazon, and I've returned a couple because they ran out of adjustment . What I suspect is their crappy packaging...they put them in big boxes without padding. The replacements have worked very well.

The two rifles I installed the Bug Busters on haven't been as accurate as I believe the rifle's are as capable of. So I ordered a longer Compact and installed it on my HW57 and Voila! Good consistent and smaller groups! I think I'm onto something! So I'm gonna get another Compact...or maybe the 16" version...and install it on my Terrus. If there's room enough on the Terrus, I'll get the long scope for it.

In short, I believe that maybe the length of the scope is a factor in accuracy. In time, I may upgrade to a Bushnell or Leupold lines for my TX200 and HW97, possibly on my RWS 460, but all three of those shoot to the POA as is with Compacts.