• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope suggestion for P-rod?

Looking for a bright scope to use inside a dark dairy barn? Presently using a 12x SWFA. My buddy uses a BugBuster but I’m looking for something that gathers more light so I can see birds hidden in dark nooks and crannies. Would like to stay at 10-12x max and not a crazy busy reticle. IR reticle isn’t a priority either. Short OAL and light weight are a plus.

How is the optical clarity at full magnification (12x)? Most low cost scopes fall off at full magnification. Can you or anyone compare it to the BugBuster or SWFA in terms of brightness and clarity?

I don't have all three to compare back to back, but I have owned all three. IIRC, the Veyron was brighter than the BugBuster and about the same as the SWFA. I don't recall having any issue with the Veyron on full magnification. Though the reticle is very thin and hard to see on low magnification. The Veyron would definitely not be my choice for a close range barn scope. That thin reticle will get lost in the shadows in a heartbeat. I had to dispatch a squirrel that got into my garage, shot was at 7 yards and I had the parallax all the way to minimum. I had to turn the scope to 6x to be able to barely see it on the squirrel in the dimly lit garage. But at 6x it wouldn't focus down under 10 yards. Definitely not a close range, low light scope.

The Veyron is short, light, and bright for the cost. If you get the SFP version, it should work great!

Reactions: WorriedMan
I have a Hawke Vantage 2-7 on my Prod and I am very satisfied with it for hunting. I find it's simple mil dot reticle to be easier to pick up quickly including in low light. The same scope in 3-9 would be a bit better for target shooting, however. I usually use the 2-7 at 7X. Never at 2X. I prefer side focus parallax but I rarely mess with it once I spot a target. Besides the price I like the light weight of my Hawke Vantage.

I have a nice 1-4 Monstrum LPVO that is nice, light and bright on mine. under a $150

20210730_184117.jpg

Have been looking at this one for my Prod for ratting duty, it does have a parallax wheel that focuses down past 10yds, it's an SFP scope. Also has a nice reticle and cheap.

Last edited:
I have this scope on my P-Rod Carbine. Bought it from Midway for $229. It is a fine piece of glass and feels balanced on the gun.

Truglo Centra FFP Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm​

1677734967981.png

I have another scope I bought from Midway for $469. Amazon currently has it for $419. It is currently mounted on my Benjamin Akela, but would fit the P-Rod like a glove.

Hawke Airmax Compact Air Gun Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 40mm​

1677734922826.png

P-Rod breech.jpg

P-Rod.jpg

Attachments

• Hawke1 (2).jpg
    Hawke1 (2).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: L.Leon
I have a Hawke Vantage 2-7 on my Prod and I am very satisfied with it for hunting. I find it's simple mil dot reticle to be easier to pick up quickly including in low light. The same scope in 3-9 would be a bit better for target shooting, however. I usually use the 2-7 at 7X. Never at 2X. I prefer side focus parallax but I rarely mess with it once I spot a target. Besides the price I like the light weight of my Hawke Vantage.
I also have the Vantage 2-7 on my Prod. I have had the 3-9 Bugbuster on it too. Personally I like the Vantage better as it seems more clear in low light. Part of it may be bias as I have grown to hate UTG products.

I recently put my Airmax 4-12 on my 1720, so the Bug moved down the food chain to my 1740 carbine. The Airmax is heavier than I like, but the trade off in clarity is well worth it.
However unless you get an IR, the reticle is very fine and would likely get lost in the barn.

I just spent the most I have ever spent on an Athlon Argus for my AA because the Airmax moved to the 1720.
Based on the Athlon, which is not an “Expensive” scope, I am finally starting to understand why some people spend so much on optics. It blows my two Airmax away.
Based on that, my Prod will likely get an upgrade to an Athlon later this year.

Reactions: UCChris
I am still tinkering with the glass on my P-Rod. This is the MTC 12x50 S.W.A.T. I picked up from AoA. It is tons lighter than any scope I have had on the P-Rod and I just made a cracking 50yd kill on a tree top Starling offhand. The 12 power version of this scope is actually better at 50 yards than at 15. I think the 10 power version would be a better fit on my P-Rod and more useful at closer ranges.

P-Rod with MTC S.W.A.T (2).jpg