• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope rings?

Any suggestions on what would be the best ring height for a Benjamin Maximus? My scope has a 40mm objective. Would normally put a medium height, but Im thinking I may need the room to load pellets. I was thinking a high see thru so I could also still use my fiber optic sights. Not sure if they will be too high though. I hate the look of a scope that's too high, especially on a hunting rifle. 

Recommendation - get on eBay and order sets of each. The rings on eBay are dirt cheap if you find the right ones. Do be careful to make sure you get TWO scope rings as some sellers sell singles (Really??? Who uses ONE ring?

​If you order from China it takes two weeks to 4 weeks to get here. Rings from China start at about $4 per set, while the same rings from US Sellers start at $7 per set. Make sure you order the right diameter as well, whether 1 inch (25.4mm) or 30mm rings. I always keep some spares on hand to make sure I have "Spare parts" enough to get the right fit.

​If you have a set of highs, medium's and low rings, you can simply trial and error till you get the best option.

​My opinion is that no more than a medium ring is needed for a 40mm scope. Loading pellets shouldn't be a problem (I hope!)

I believe European nations follow similar rules. The system is two tiered.

​Lower end is a gun that does not require a license, or in Britain, a Fire Arms Certificate (FAC). Guns that do not require an FAC are limited to 12 FPE. Not sure why they chose that, but 12 FPE it is.

​To go over 12 FPE, you need a FAC, and once you have an FAC, you can go to the higher power levels.

​Yup, 12 fpe isn't much by US standards, but they do a lot of small game hunting with it, so it must work!

​It's also one reason why most European non-FAC guns are .177 to allow extra velocity under the 12 FPE limit. On the good side, they use less air per shot, so something like the Maximus gets max 30 shots in full power, but around 50 or 60 in 12 FPE power range. Great for those of us that like high shot rates.