Scope Rings

None that I know of on quality rings. Adding tape will reduce the radius of the ring to the scope. That is a bad thing. More stress on the scope when torqued.
Thank you for your help. I have UTG Accushot rings. There seems to be some sort of coating inside the rings. I was wondering what material it was made from. Thanks again, Bill

What are a good set of rings that won't break the bank.

i have had good luck with the "westhunter" brand rings on ebay.

$20 give or take depending on style,
comes in a bunch of colors also.

and a bit of advice,
if you dont have a torque screwdriver, get one,
imo they are invaluable for scope installation.

you can torque the ring screws to the proper in/lb and you dont need the friction tape.

got mine on ebay for around $30

Reactions: BWAGS
Tape inside the rings is a red flag that they are low quality. The tape is needed to take up slop and ensure a proper hold, which basically means that the rings will not provide precision alignment. The tape also makes mounting/leveling the scope quite a bit harder since it prevents the scope from moving freely when trying to make small adjustments with the rings slightly loosened. I avoid them.

Sportsmatch rings are among my favorites for airguns. They are well made and reasonably priced. But they are not very common here in the USA, so they usually have to be ordered online.

Reactions: AirShot
If you're installing a scope on a springer / gas ram, partcularly "magnum" springers producing 20fpe+, recoil is pretty brutal and can lead to scope creep. Seek out rings with 4 screws per cap and at least 4 screws on the base. Preferably a 1-piece mount:
1pc mount.jpg

For any other type of airgun, recoil is so insignificant as to be of no real concern. Pretty much any $20 rings will do just fine, whether it's one of the popular brands like UTG or Westhunter, or most anything you might find on Amazon with decent reviews. I place no significance on the presence or absence of friction tape in the rings.

i have had good luck with the "westhunter" brand rings on ebay.

$20 give or take depending on style,
comes in a bunch of colors also.

and a bit of advice,
if you dont have a torque screwdriver, get one,
imo they are invaluable for scope installation.

you can torque the ring screws to the proper in/lb and you dont need the friction tape.

got mine on ebay for around $30
Thank you

Tape inside the rings is a red flag that they are low quality. The tape is needed to take up slop and ensure a proper hold, which basically means that the rings will not provide precision alignment. The tape also makes mounting/leveling the scope quite a bit harder since it prevents the scope from moving freely when trying to make small adjustments with the rings slightly loosened. I avoid them.

Sportsmatch rings are among my favorites for airguns. They are well made and reasonably priced. But they are not very common here in the USA, so they usually have to be ordered online.
Thank you

If you're installing a scope on a springer / gas ram, partcularly "magnum" springers producing 20fpe+, recoil is pretty brutal and can lead to scope creep. Seek out rings with 4 screws per cap and at least 4 screws on the base. Preferably a 1-piece mount:
View attachment 361653

For any other type of airgun, recoil is so insignificant as to be of no real concern. Pretty much any $20 rings will do just fine, whether it's one of the popular brands like UTG or Westhunter, or most anything you might find on Amazon with decent reviews. I place no significance on the presence or absence of friction tape in the rings.
Thank you

Reactions: Deerstalker
One piece mounts are far more rigid than 2 piece pairs, more rail engagement, stay concentric and may provide 20MOA tilt.

Whatever your set-up test it under torque. With your right hand put your thumb against the objective bell and fingers around air tube/cylinder and with some force pushing against the scope bell end forcing it left , shoot a 25 yard group. Repeat with left hand forcing bell to right, shoot a group using same point of aim. How much shifting could you induce? I have some high quality scope >$150 rings that would shift POI as much as 1 inch @ 25 yards. Switching to an Arken single foot rigid mount took out all the induced shifting for my set up. Definitely worth $65.

• Love
Reactions: HogKiller
One piece mounts are far more rigid than 2 piece pairs, more rail engagement, stay concentric and may provide 20MOA tilt.

Whatever your set-up test it under torque. With your right hand put your thumb against the objective bell and fingers around air tube/cylinder and with some force pushing against the scope bell end forcing it left , shoot a 25 yard group. Repeat with left hand forcing bell to right, shoot a group using same point of aim. How much shifting could you induce? I have some high quality scope >$150 rings that would shift POI as much as 1 inch @ 25 yards. Switching to an Arken single foot rigid mount took out all the induced shifting for my set up. Definitely worth $65.
Thank you, I will look that up.

What are a good set of rings that won't break the bank.
For dovetail mounting I really like BKL self-centering rings. They come in 1" and 30mm. I have 30mm low mounts on all of my dovetail rifles (Daystate, Air Arms, and BSA) The older Daystate mags just fit with minimum clearance on a 40mm objective lense or less, though this scope has a 42mm front objective. My Huntsman has a 40mm Hawke objective and you can see has plenty of learance for the mag and objective with the low rings. With Air Arms and BSA, where the mag is fully below the dovetail, I have the low ring BKLs with 44mm objective Optisan scopes mounted with plenty of clearance between the shroud and objective.

March mag clearance (2).jpg

Attachments

• Daystate mag clearance2 (2).jpg
    Daystate mag clearance2 (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Daystate mag clearance (2).jpg
    Daystate mag clearance (2).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Nattboy