Scope Reticle

Here is what I use with my HW springers that have a "flat top barrel pivot block" and it works OK for me.

* Focus on a hanging string at 18 yards and loosening the top strap screws I use a tested torpedo level sitting on the barrel pivot block...

Ed,

What matters is the relationship of the scope to the muzzle. When leveling via the barrel pivot block, you are assuming that is it perfectly parallel ("square") with the barrel/muzzle. I would never assume that. Without knowing the tolerances or history of the barrelled action, you can't assume anything. Besides the normal manufacturing tolerances, the barrel may have even been subjected to any number of accidental or purposeful tweaks to compensate for internal-misalignment/pellet-drop/droop/etc.

0mgPBHBl.jpg

6vaTNRUl.jpg

rsK0loXl.jpg

Do you really think that your barrel is square with the receiver/pivot-block?
Using the scope-bore vector as your baseline will get you closer. As it does not depend on any of the extraneous gun geometry. And then verify it by shooting well inside your zero.

Nervoustrig what NCED is doing to his hw is what I'm referring too. I always thought that the rifle is supposed to be level (from leaning left to right) and in attempting to do that with a level how would one do so with a prosport. 

What I did was cock the rifle and used the cocking arm (hoping it was squared to the action) and placed a torpedo level vertically on its side. Then did the plumb line for the scope and then matched the scope bubble level to show it level with reticle. 

Hi Josh, if I’m following you, that method will avoid gun cant but it won’t necessarily avoid scope cant.

See I was under the presumption that both had to be correct in order for everything to I guess the word is "click" together?. Aside from that how have you been brother? Hope all is well and that you had goid holidays

I use the hanging plumb line method when aligning the vertical crosshair of the scope. So far it’s worked, but then again I’m not shooting my PCPs out past 100 yards.

The plumb line is used to set the bubble to the reticle.

Assuming that you already eliminated "scope cant", the plumb line is used when installing a bubble level on the scope. That bubble allows you to eliminate "gun cant" while shooting.

Install the bubble and adjust so it indicates level while the vertical crosshair is aligned with the plumb line.

When shooting, make sure the bubble indicates level.

...so as scotchmo wrote you can actually have the rifle act a 45° angle but as long as the scopes vertical crosshair insects the bore via the mirror method then you are ok? ...

45 degrees?, sure if that's what someone really wanted to do. As long as the scope mounts keep the scope directly above the bore, and the reticle intersects that bore, the stock/action angle is irrelevant to cant.

Like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQGM8Cn8lS8&app=desktop 2:10 in. BTW, "torch" is Britspeak for flashlite. ;)

Pretty interesting video! Instead of using a flashlight through the objective end of the scope why not try this. Clamp the action facing towards your plumb line set 15 to 30 ft away. Make sure the clamped action is level using a level bubble. Now look through your scope as if your going to shoot. You will have to move your plumb line left or right to get it right over your vertical crosshair. Then set your Objective Focus to the distance of your plumb line to eliminate parallax error. Now you can rotate the scope until your vertical crosshair lines up perfectly with the vertical running plumb line. Of course the only way this will work is if the action stays secured and level. Just an option to this YouTube method.

....Of course the only way this will work is if the action stays secured and level. ...

and the barrel is perfectly straight with respect to the action, and dovetail is straight, and the scope mounts are perfectly centered, etc. So that might work - or it might not.

At no point did the video or you reference the bore-line. With the reticle mechanically centered, it should intersect the bore-line., regardless of the orientation of the action.

The plumb line is only needed when mounting the scope level, not when mounting the scope to the gun.

If you want to project the bore-line onto the wall, you can use a laser bore sighter. And then rotate the scope until the laser dot lands on the vertical crosshair, above or below the horizontal crosshair (the center does not count - use the elevation turret to move it away from the center). If you have an accurate bore-sighter, that's usually better than using the mirror.

Make sure the clamped action is level using a level bubble.

Now you can rotate the scope until your vertical crosshair lines up perfectly with the vertical running plumb line.

Again, leveling the action will get you close most of the time but it isn’t what matters when installing the scope. What matters is that the verticle bar of the reticle intersects the bore. If the gun is mechanically perfect in every way, leveling the action first and then orienting the scope to a plumb line will do that. Unfortunately that is a big “if” that relies on a lot of chance.

[edit] Oops, Scott beat me to it :)

In reality, not matter how perfect you think you have this scope alignment it's meaningless if the the person holding the rifle doesn't hold perfectly level when shooting. Who does that ? Especially when one doesn't have a level bubble mounted on the gun. Even if you do, who takes the time in a hunting situation to keep that bubble between the marks before taking the shot ? The method I described and in the video are going to get you close enough for airgun distances. I'm talking under 100 yards. I get what you mean regarding bore/receiver not being in true alignment. The receiver is your scope mount....line of sight. The barrel ( I'm talking breakbarrel airgun) may not be square with the receiver. Not a whole lot to do about that. 

In reality, not matter how perfect you think you have this scope alignment it's meaningless if the the person holding the rifle doesn't hold perfectly level when shooting. Who does that ? Especially when one doesn't have a level bubble mounted on the gun. Even if you do, who takes the time in a hunting situation to keep that bubble between the marks before taking the shot ? The method I described and in the video are going to get you close enough for airgun distances. I'm talking under 100 yards. I get what you mean regarding bore/receiver not being in true alignment. The receiver is your scope mount....line of sight. The barrel ( I'm talking breakbarrel airgun) may not be square with the receiver. Not a whole lot to do about that.

This. I mean, I do TRY to hold as level as I can, especially when hunting. But its always likely off if even slightly. I am Norwegian, so I can see level pretty well, but it's still likely to be somewhat off center when hand holding.

This. I mean, I do TRY to hold as level as I can, especially when hunting. But its always likely off if even slightly. I am Norwegian, so I can see level pretty well, but it's still likely to be somewhat off center when hand holding.

I hear what your saying and that echoes my point. Without a level bubble " holding level" can become a subjective thing. You think it's level but in reality it's not. Perfect level is a nice thing to strive for but in reality is nothing to worry about for us who keep our shots in the 50 yard range. Or less !!