• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope recommendations

Don't want to insult you on the price or anything, but I just bought a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP for $360. At 100 yards, a 24X seems to be plenty of magnification and as a FFP, reticle moves with the magnification. Mil and MOA reticles and adjustments are available. Optics Planet has them for under $400.

At 75 and 100 yards, I like the 6-24. Wide enough field of view at 6X and at 24, can really focus on the target. Incredible glass, and not a bad warranty either. at 100 yards, I think a 9X is very usable, but the 24 is that much better. Really see the target.

Just my thought. I doubt you'd ever have to buy again. You might WANT another scope, but have to? Probably not.

There are lots of good choices. I don't believe you need to spend $1000 unless you plan to do some precision benchrest shooting. If that were so, I recommend a Sightron S3 10-50X60 scope with your choice of reticle. The Sightron is a pretty big and heavy scope for hunting. I've owned a lot of scopes including many mentioned here and elsewhere. It seems that every week and new one appears that's supposed to be the latest orgasmic thing for us airgunners. However, I always go back to my Hawke scopes which cost between $400-500 depending where you get them and what deal is currently offered. The optics are plenty clear and the reticles are perfect for most any shooting. I like the Sidewinder SF and the Airmax 30 SF. 6-3-24 power. While not the most compact, the quality is great. You get one helluva scope for the money.

The Vortex scopes are designed for powder burners, not air rifles, so the recoil of a .58 is well within parameters. Compare recoil from a 300 win mag to your big bore and I think the Vortex will do quite well.

From Optics Planet on the Hawke 6-24 FFP - "This Hawke Sport Optics Sidewinder 6-24x56 Tactical Riflescope is built to last and is waterproof, shockproof, and fogproof, withstanding the powerful recoil from your weapon as well as any harsh elements it comes in contact with"

If the .58 has more recoil than a 300 WinMag or a 7MM, I'd be surprised.

Yes, these should all handle a 58 Cal with ease.

Vortex is always a great option, if you want to save even more money and have all the same guarantees, craftsmanship, options I would really consider Athlon. For the money I really dont think they can be beat. When I hunt inside wooded areas 3x is very neccessary as it gives you a huge field of view. Hunting open fields honestly I dont think there is an air rifle that needs above 16x.

Buy used. Much more value for your money. Magnification depends on what size of the target you wanna use it for. At 100 yards 20x I find is fine for ground squirrels. But at those sized targets at 150 yards +, I’d recommend 25x. Then you have to consider the reticle. The MOA-2, to me, is the finest compromise. It looks like a cross, with hash marks all the way down. Great for holdover. Sightron uses them and their glass is pretty bright. The one I have is on sale in the classifieds right now, a STAC 4-20x50. I really like that scope. I’d only part with mine if I got a deal on a Sightron with an MOA-2 with 25 or so magnification. 

Why would you recomend a 20x scope for a .58 airgun? That isn't a squirrel rifle. Hawke makes a 3x32 crossbow scope that you won't have to mess with an adjustable objective. It has 5 aimpoints, so zero the top at 50 yards and experiment with different ranges to find the poi for the others. I use a Leupold VXIII 1-5x on my .50 Dragon Claw and it is way more scope than needed.