Scope Recommendations for New Airgun Shooter

Possibly out of your price range but you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope for hunting critters than a Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR. Everything about this robustly featured scope is exceptional for the price. It was foremost designed as a FFP hunting scope and focuses close, actually sub 10Y on low magnification. The mil version, which is my choice, has a generously sized reticle thickness with a .3 mil sized center dot which can be plainly seen on 2x.
Having this scope, I can say it is awesome on every level. @steve123 should know, he helped design it... Currently mounted it on my new AA TX200.

Patrick

Possibly out of your price range but you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope for hunting critters than a Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR. Everything about this robustly featured scope is exceptional for the price. It was foremost designed as a FFP hunting scope and focuses close, actually sub 10Y on low magnification. The mil version, which is my choice, has a generously sized reticle thickness with a .3 mil sized center dot which can be plainly seen on 2x.
I was looking at the Athlon as well. Great scope for the money.

Reactions: steve123
My recommendation for the money as @Nico5999 said, would be the Hawke Frontier 30 series for many reasons, the least of which would be the glass and eye box with a best in class weight for the zoom range and price. Perfect for the Benjamin.
@JungleShooter shares the reality of the other choices.

Patrick
Greetings, 2L8.
I was going to ask a question about the Frontier line, but figured I should read threads on it first. You are the only one so far that mentioned the light weight of some Frontiers. My question was going to be on the matter of this light weight. How does Hawke achieve this? Do they sacrifice something? I ask because I am very much into light quality scopes, and I have so far found nothing that matches the Frontiers. Thank you. S7

Looking at the specs of the Hawke Frontiers... — many seem to have some of the following characteristics (the 34mm scopes do not...):

▪︎ Smaller tube diameter than typical
▪︎ Less max. elevation adjustment than typical (=result of smaller tube)

▪︎ Rather limited field of view at min. magni when compared to scopes with similar magni ranges

Matthias

I appreciate that very much, S7.
Hawke offerings have always kept me a bit cold as there was very often something I didn't like:

▪ capped turrets!
▪ somewhat high prices
▪ FFP scopes lack the heavy outside posts that — at low magnifications — should guide the eye toward the center where the crosshairs intersect
▪ SFP scope reticles are usually not calibrated at the highest magnification

But I should give them another chance — as I am realizing that lighter scopes ARE important for certain shooting scenarios.

Hope the Spirit will make your screen name reality, 1Th 2:13. 👍🏼

Matthias

I appreciate that very much, S7.
Hawke offerings have always kept me a bit cold as there was very often something I didn't like:

▪ capped turrets!
▪ somewhat high prices
▪ FFP scopes lack the heavy outside posts that — at low magnifications — should guide the eye toward the center where the crosshairs intersect
▪ SFP scope reticles are usually not calibrated at the highest magnification

But I should give them another chance — as I am realizing that lighter scopes ARE important for certain shooting scenarios.

Hope the Spirit will make your screen name reality, 1Th 2:13. 👍🏼

Matthias
Hi, Matthias.
It is a reality, Brother!

Yes, I am not a Hawke guy, per se, although two of my three airgun scopes are Hawkes: The Advantage 3-12x44 and the Sidewinder 6.5-20x44. I have a Helix 4-16x44 on my recently acquired Crown MK II. I am still not sure how much I like the Helix. I have not used it pesting yet, but only zeroed it in. I think I was expecting more from what Dubber and others said on YouTube. But it seems nice. I still cannot tell if the glass is better on the Helix than the Sidewinder, the latter which is not mounted on anything presently. I do like light, as you do, and I like my parallax down to 10 yards.
To be resumed.
S7

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleShooter
In my experience, Hawke Sidewinder or Airmax, Athlon Argos, Helos, or Midas Tac, Arken, Sightron S-Tac, are excellent scopes that won't break the bank. All are between $400-700. Your application might direct you to certain ones, especially if you plan to compete in FT or BR shooting.
Copy, jps.
For pesting 35 yards and under, do you have any preference?
S7

@elock49 Give immersive optics at least a gander. Specifically for pesting at 50 and under the FoV makes a world of difference and the 5x is plenty. Specifically the 5x24 and 5x30 versions.

I really like the Mildot Rapid for hunting, but it is NOT a bench reticle.

If you've got any questions about these scopes, holler, I know them pretty well.
I was thinking of putting it on a benjamin cayden, but I still haven't decided what pcp I am going to get. The gun will be specifically for squirrels with most shots at 25 yards or under; 50 yard shots would be rare.

That's a great question to ask! 👍🏼
I'm going to be standing in line right behind you for receiving an answer.... 😉

Matthias
Hi, JS.

Respectively, here's my question to Hawke and their answer to me:

Question: "I and another guy on Air Gun Nation are curious about how the light weight of the Frontier line is achieved. Typically, as scopes have more lenses and go up in quality, they seem to get heavier. Yes?
Is it different materials? Is anything sacrificed?
By the way, I own a Vantage and a Sidewinder."

Hawke Answer: "Unfortunately this isn't a simple answer, and of course our overall designs are proprietary. Yes, the lenses are the heaviest component in a scope, but no - adding lenses does not necessarily improve optical quality. At a minimum in fact, you will always loose a degree of light transmission with every added lens - everything is a compromise. That said, the Frontier line of scopes utilize a high grade, low-dispersion Crown glass and carefully paired lens coatings, helping us achieve efficient optical systems which perform well beyond their price."
S7

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Copy, jps.
For pesting 35 yards and under, do you have any preference?
S7
Not really, except I would probably pick one of the lighter ones like the Airmax or Sightron S-Tac. Arken just came out with a 30 mm line of lightweight scopes which look good. The 34 mm scopes are great for bench shooting, but too heavy for anything else.

Thanks, David, for getting us the answer from Hawke. 👍🏼

🔸 Smaller objective lenses, generally speaking, have 3 features:

● (1) They allow less light in
— so they might be a bit darker. This might make a difference to you if you're shooting in the dark woods, or in a barn with marginal lighting, or if you are filming through your scope. In bright daylight — not so much.

● (2) They require less parallax adjustments, as in: Their SPR (Sharpness and Parallax Range) is longer — meaning that your quarry will be sharply focussed and the parallax error will be compensated for at a longer range (say, instead of 15-19y it will be sharp and parallax-free at 13-25y).
This is good if you want to make quick shots. And bad if you try to use the parallax turret to determine your range. Take your pick!! 😄

● (3) They are somewhat lighter (smaller lenses).

Matthias

Thanks, David, for getting us the answer from Hawke. 👍🏼

🔸 Smaller objective lenses, generally speaking, have 3 features:

● (1) They allow less light in
— so they might be a bit darker. This might make a difference to you if you're shooting in the dark woods, or in a barn with marginal lighting, or if you are filming through your scope. In bright daylight — not so much.

● (2) They require less parallax adjustments, as in: Their SPR (Sharpness and Parallax Range) is longer — meaning that your quarry will be sharply focussed and the parallax error will be compensated for at a longer range (say, instead of 15-19y it will be sharp and parallax-free at 13-25y).
This is good if you want to make quick shots. And bad if you try to use the parallax turret to determine your range. Take your pick!! 😄

● (3) They are somewhat lighter (smaller lenses).

Matthias
Hi, Matthias.
I am happy to contribute something to the folks on AGN. You’re welcome.
Thanks for the helpful information on small objectives.
David

Greetings, 2L8.
I was going to ask a question about the Frontier line, but figured I should read threads on it first. You are the only one so far that mentioned the light weight of some Frontiers. My question was going to be on the matter of this light weight. How does Hawke achieve this? Do they sacrifice something? I ask because I am very much into light quality scopes, and I have so far found nothing that matches the Frontiers. Thank you. S7
David, great question indeed. Many comments have been made since my post. Of the scopes I was testing at the time, the Frontier, offerd 4 parameters that are great. Excellent overall glass, eye box, reticle design (subjective I know) and lightweight design. Other features were not so desirable to me and diminished the overall value to a point that I sent it back. Mushy turrets are never acceptable to me, especially in the $800 price range, so, that's a deal breaker.

Patrick

Last edited:
David, great question indeed. Many comments have been made since my post. Of the scopes I was testing at the time, the Frontier, offerd 4 parameters that are great. Excellent overall glass, eye box, reticle design (subjective I know) and lightweight design. Other features were not so desirable to me and diminished the overall value to a point that I sent it back. Mushy turrets are never acceptable to me, especially in the $800 price range, so, that's a deal breaker.

Patrick

Patrick
Patrick,
As I continue to evaluate Hawke scopes, I have also found that the turrets on my Sidewinder are not as crisp as those on my Helix. It’s too bad that you say turrets are also mushy on the Frontier, and yes, this is not good for the $800.00 range, and that’s a less expensive model in the Frontier line. If you care to read it, I emailed Hawke about the lower weight for some Frontiers. They gave me a bit of an answer. Both question and answer are on another thread, “Scope Recommendations for New Air Gun Shooter.” Do you mind telling what those other features you did not like were? Thanks.
David