Scope Recommendations for New Airgun Shooter

Purchased a few scopes, and some things that I use are consistent for all my future purchases after learning what I am comfortable with. Large tube diameter is always a plus. Name brand helps, but is not a gaurantee, don't settle on budget an extra 20 bucks might get you a superior product. The phrase is buy once cry once and it holds true in scopes also. Watch videos "Cyclops" on U-toob is always solid reccomendations. Be sure on the reticle style/type cause some just might drive you batty or take too long to make the shot. Then magnification, how much do you need and how proficient are you in use. I don't need one so powerful that I can count feathers just enough to find vitals or head shot. Then I've sold some to friends and let them look thru before buying. See if you might test view if you have friends in your airgun circle and what they have and take a look-sie. Hope this helps, I was blindly looking, buying and I kinda have an idea now.

They all make nice scopes but we kind of need to know what you're looking to use it for. Different style optics/reticles will work best for different styles of shooting. Also, what gun will it be going on and how far do you plan on shooting?
I was thinking of putting it on a benjamin cayden, but I still haven't decided what pcp I am going to get. The gun will be specifically for squirrels with most shots at 25 yards or under; 50 yard shots would be rare.

The SWFA SS scopes are good. I have a 12x with MOA reticle for target shooting. I'm using it on a springer and its held up well. I've had no problems maintaining zero and clicks are repeatable.
I like Clearidge Scopes. I think their supplier in Japan makes scopes based off the old Weaver and Bushnell lines and customer service is excellent. The turret adjustments on my 3-9×32 are the same as the old Trophy 6-18×40. I have a 4.5-14 with duplex dot for bullseye shooting. Their products are well made and they have a good warranty service.

New to air guns. Was looking into Leupold, US Optics, and Nightforce Scopes. But any advice would be appreciated.

Yupp, airguns require a shorter parallax distance than powder burners.
A scope with a typical 25y or 50y parallax is not going to be good for shots that are mostly less than 25y!

Leupold and Nightforce are two of the few companies who clearly DO NOT CARE about selling scopes to airgunners — as almost all of their scopes have a longer min. parallax, or don't have a holdoff reticle (just a PB BDC or a plain ret.), or Leopold doesn’t even tell you what the minimum parallax of their scopes is..... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Eric, have you been able to look over the explanations and the scopes in the PDF I posted for you? 😊

Cheers,

Matthias

I was thinking of putting it on a benjamin cayden, but I still haven't decided what pcp I am going to get. The gun will be specifically for squirrels with most shots at 25 yards or under; 50 yard shots would be rare.
for squirrels, I would be looking at a scope in the 4-16x or at MOST 4-20x. Many are happy/prefer even shorter 3-9x or 3-12x.
I'd save some $ (and put that towards better build and optics) by getting a quality SFP vs. FFP.
Get "AO" or better, side focus down to 10 yards at least. A few have 5 yard as an option, but they are few and far between.

Reactions: Blankshot17
elock,
I've shared my recommendations for "good" entry level PCPs, and an inexpensive HPA hand pump to fill, now I'll suggest the Crosman brand scope, CenterPoint. A 3-9x40 AO came stock on my Benjamin Trail NP XL .22, I was so impressed with the optics I bought a slightly used one on eBay for my Crosman F4. (The F4 had an unsatisfactory OEM CenterPoint 4x.) The glass quality for this price point is hard to beat. If you're anything like the rest of us, a better PCP, scope and air fill program is in your future, however, exploring a reasonably priced program to see if it's for you, is not a bad idea. WM

Reactions: LONESTAR .25
Those are excellent scope brands but I don't own any scopes by them. I've shot a few dozen squirrels, however. I use all variable power scopes and I try to remember to keep them on 6 or 7X when I am hunting. Anything higher than that is unnecessary for a 25-35 yard range, my normal, and makes it harder to find the squirrel in the scope. I prefer side parallax adjustment but have a front parallax adjustment I like. A little higher power may be useful sometimes and certainly is nice to have target shooting. I also prefer a simple mil dot recticle that is not real fine. First focal plane scopes are a risk because they get finer when you turn them down. I like my Primary Arms 4-14 with a mil dot recticle, it does not get too fine at 6X. I cannot imagine needing more than 14X hunting with an air rifle. But I have higher power scopes and I like them for target shooting. My highest is a 6-24x50 Athlon Tanos. It's recticle is fine but it is also illuminated so I will try it on at least a few hunts. But I will carry it set at 6X. I may replace the Athlon with a simple 3-9x40 Hawke Vantage for hunting, however. I will replace it if I find the recticle too fine for quick use in the woods. But I'll keep it around for target work.

My recommendation for the money as @Nico5999 said, would be the Hawke Frontier 30 series for many reasons, the least of which would be the glass and eye box with a best in class weight for the zoom range and price. Perfect for the Benjamin.
@JungleShooter shares the reality of the other choices.

Patrick

Keep them on 6 or 7x when I am hunting. Anything higher than that is unnecessary for a 25-35 yard range. [...] I cannot imagine needing more than 14x hunting with an air rifle.

Jim, I keep reading comments like these advocating for me really low magnifications. I even used to get almost upset at them...! 😄👍🏼

However, NOW I think I figured it out why there are such wide differences in the recommended max. magnification:
If shooting offhanded, of course a 16x magnification is way too much.
But if the gun can be rested on something (tree, door post, backpack), 16x is quite feasible....

Matthias

• Haha
Reactions: Blankshot17
I've had bad luck with a bug buster but it is a nice size and weight and the price is good.

Matthias, most of my squirrels do not sit still for long at all. I have a few seconds to get them in the scope and make a shot. I am normally standing but I use a post or a tree or a window frame for support when possible. I am often pretty steady, that is when I go for a head shot which is most of my shots, but I need to get the animal in the scope quickly or it runs off. I can do this much easier with the scope at 6X. I've inadvertently used more magnification before and lost the shot opportunity. I can place my shots very well at 6X. I even shot the 30 yard challenge with my little Prod yesterday with it's Hawke 2-7 scope. My score was not impressive but I did get a couple Xs. The biggest problem was the lines are really fine. Squirrels heads are not as hard to distinguish.

I'm not trying to be critical of anybody who uses more magnification for hunting. If it works for you, great. But this is what I do and why. It works for me.

I've had bad luck with a bug buster but it is a nice size and weight and the price is good.

Matthias, most of my squirrels do not sit still for long at all. I have a few seconds to get them in the scope and make a shot. I am normally standing but I use a post or a tree or a window frame for support when possible. I am often pretty steady, that is when I go for a head shot which is most of my shots, but I need to get the animal in the scope quickly or it runs off. I can do this much easier with the scope at 6X. I've inadvertently used more magnification before and lost the shot opportunity. I can place my shots very well at 6X. I even shot the 30 yard challenge with my little Prod yesterday with it's Hawke 2-7 scope. My score was not impressive but I did get a couple Xs. The biggest problem was the lines are really fine. Squirrels heads are not as hard to distinguish.

I'm not trying to be critical of anybody who uses more magnification for hunting. If it works for you, great. But this is what I do and why. It works for me.
Agreed. Target acquisition for me is great at 6X, especially for animals that move often and can have jerky movements like squirrels and chipmunks. Too much Mag and you're searching for your quarry

Possibly out of your price range but you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope for hunting critters than a Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR. Everything about this robustly featured scope is exceptional for the price. It was foremost designed as a FFP hunting scope and focuses close, actually sub 10Y on low magnification. The mil version, which is my choice, has a generously sized reticle thickness with a .3 mil sized center dot which can be plainly seen on 2x.