• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope recommendations for Diana Chaser?

I'm eyeballing the Dianer Chaser rifle for my 5 year-old daughter to start target shooting only with the Ol' Man. Even though I'm a .22 fan, I'm thinking the .177 for the increased FPS and the extra two shots in the mag. I feel the Chaser is good to about 30 yards, and it's very light, so I don't want/need a large heavy scope mounted on top. Can I get away with a red dot (I have no experience using red dots), or should I go with a fixed, or adjustable scope? I personally enjoy shooting my rifles at 50-200 yards so I use a 6-24x50.

As always, thanks for the input, Nation. 

I would start a 5 year old the old fashioned open sights way for tin cans and spinner targets and not paper punching. They normally have good eyesight.

Maybe after a year or 2 graduate to a red dot or low power scope.

You probably be buying a lot of batteries being a 5 year old kid always wanting to look at the cool dot even when not shooting.

I started with open sights then the cheap crappy included 4x Crosman-Daisy type packaged scope with skinny tubes.

I had to buy ALL of my guns myself.

I didn’t get a air gun until I was seven years old that I got for Christmas. Then it was a red Ryder. But I believe kids should learn how to shoot open sites first. I got good with mine for being just a BB gun and it taught me how to shoot. Then when I got a little older, I got my first 22 that I bought for $15. So with the better sites and more accurate rifle I could shoot really good. And when my eyesight was good I still preferred open sites up to 30 yards. If a kid learns how to shoot with a scope first then when they get a gun that has open sites, how are they going to do with that? Anybody can put the crosshairs on something and pull the trigger . It’s just a matter of keeping the gun Still.It’s more rewarding when you hit small targets with open sights.

For a 5 year old, a red dot will be great. Even fantastic, I'd think. I remember how good my eyes used to be. I could hit some really small targets using normal iron sights.

The irons on the diana are passable. You can use them. But I would not have my kid use them. Maybe a Weighrauch for iron sights.

The poor iron sights are part of the issue. I think starting out on iron sights first is likely best. However, the Diana Chaser, which I believe is a great little gun for a 5 year-old, is known to have poor iron sights. Is there a Weihrauch rifle suitable for a 5 year old?